Remove this Banner Ad

Coldacre

Premiership Player
Mar 28, 2010
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Melbourne Storm
thanks BJ! you left the club in a better state than when you arrived. we’re forever indebted to you.

cracker of a game to go out with too. congrats on a superb career

Mar 1, 2008
Melbourne
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Toronto Maple Leafs, Kevin Owens
Was my favourite player even when he played for St Kilda.

Loved his style of play. Not an athlete just a damn good footballer with all the footy brain, skills and footy IQ.

Really wish we could have given him a premiership..... after what the club put him through, it's the least we could have done.

Oct 2, 2012
Adelaide
AFL Club
Essendon
Other Teams
Boston Celtics, Miami Dolphins
BJ, you're the hero the Essendon Football Club needed, not the one it deserved.

You ended up truly being our Dark Knight through the worst of days.

Thankyou for choosing to come to our club and for instilling a professional, leave no stone unturned, uncompromising attitude.

You finished on a high - the best way for a Champion to leave the game.

de2deaccfea3412dac6331c160fe660f.jpg

Sent from my SM-G920I using Tapatalk

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

ei

Hi,

We are delighted to announce former captain Brendon Goddard, alongside current stars Dyson Heppell and Michael Hurley, will be inducted as Life Members of the Bombers.

Set to be formally inducted at the club’s upcoming AGM and Members' Forum on Monday 17 December, Goddard was recently recognised at the Board’s discretion under the “exceptional circumstances” ground due to his leadership and commitment throughout his time in the red and black.

Under the club’s current Constitution, the Board has discretion in electing Life Members of the club having previously identified specific criteria in electing Life Members including players (10 years on a senior list or 150 senior games), premiership players, 10 years’ service on the Board, or for 20 years’ service for non-players (staff and volunteers). The Board also has discretion in electing Life Members that fall outside those criteria where it has deemed appropriate.

Goddard captained the Bombers in 2016 and was named the club’s best-and-fairest player in 2013, receiving the prestigious Crichton Medal. Officially retiring from AFL in December, he played a total of 334 AFL games for Essendon (129) and St Kilda (205) across 16 seasons.

CEO Xavier Campbell said the awarding of the Life Membership was a fitting recognition of the 33-year-old’s services to the club.

“When the Board recently met regarding the 2019 Life Member inductees, it was a unanimous decision to award Brendon with this recognition under special circumstances grounding,” Campbell said.

“Brendon was an incredible leader of this club particularly during some trying years for our playing group. His commitment never wavered, and few others have contributed so much to the Bombers in a short period, with Brendon being an integral part of the club’s growth from the day he joined.

“On behalf of the club, I want to thank Brendon for the exceptional contribution he has made to the Essendon Football Club, and we look forward to formally recognising him at the AGM and Members' Forum next week.”

Both Heppell and Hurley are set to receive Life Membership after the pair reached their 150-game milestones earlier this year, making them both formally eligible under the criteria.

A long-time fan favourite, Heppell was named the Bombers’ Captain in early 2017 and has played 151 games for the club he grew up supporting, having also been named the 2014 Crichton Medallist. Since arriving at the club at the end of 2008 with pick No.5, Hurley has played 160 games in the red and black and received AFL All-Australian recognition in 2015.

“Both Dyson and Michael are exceptional young men who demand the best from not only themselves, but their teammates,” Campbell said.

“They are brilliant clubmen, and as the older heads of the playing group, have an important influence on our younger players with their commitment on the field. We look forward to watching Dyson and Michael continue to lead this club in 2019 and beyond.”

The three new inductees will be officially recognised at the club’s upcoming AGM and Members' Forum at Marvel Stadium on Monday 17 December.

Vander18

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 22, 2011
AFL Club
Essendon
Excellent decision, totally appropriate.

As an aside...I have twice sent tweets to the club and Xavier Campbell. Once demanding a response to the Smith article on Hird and then to suggest conferring life membership upon BJ.

Since I’m batting 100 Think I’ll tweeet asking that (1) they play Ridley and Redman and (2)they win the flag this year.....

Remove this Banner Ad

Back