Retired #9: Brendon Goddard - Retires a winner - Thanks for everything BJ

Remove this Banner Ad

brendon-goddard-roars-246c.jpg

D.O.B: 20-5-1985 (Age 27)
Height: 189cm
Weight: 93 kg
Position: Utility

Drafted from: Gippsland Power (TAC Cup), #1 draft pick, 2002 National Draft.

Former Club: St Kilda Saints (2003 - 2012)
Number: 18

Games: 205
Goals: 104
All Australian 2009, 2010

Cheers to Hirdismyhero for player overview.

"These are volatile times, your Highness. The American Revolution lost your father the Colonies, the French Revolution murdered brave King Louis and there are tremendous rumblings in Prussia, although that might have something to do with the sausages."

The jungle drums are beating for Brendon Goddard to shed the white and join the Essendon Football Club.

From the HUN, it's Jon Ralph igniting the fart of speculation:

ESSENDON is likely to use the carrot of a senior leadership position for Brendon Goddard as it grows increasingly confident it has secured him from St Kilda.

Goddard has refused to talk to the media twice over several days, as Essendon begins to believe its four-year deal of as much as $800,000 a season will not be matched by St Kilda.
http://www.perthnow.com.au/sport/af...role-at-essendon/story-fnahsgl5-1226482896850

Meanwhile from The Age Jake Niall has delved into the complexities of our salary cap issues and how the pursuit of Goddard has complicated other contract negotiations.

Essendon’s position is becoming the norm under the new free agency landscape, in which clubs cannot give some players contracts until they know whether they are acquiring a free agent; if it is a player of Goddard’s worth, potentially paid $700,000 a season or more, then room has to be made.

http://www.theage.com.au/afl/afl-news/dons-goddard-quandary-20120925-26je3.html

Greg Denham has also looked into how the Goddard bid affects the rest of our playing list.

It is understood Essendon will also offer Goddard a four-year deal, and is prepared to be flexible about his remuneration should he leave the Saints but remain in Melbourne. In initial discussions about salary, the Bombers offered substantially more than St Kilda.

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/spo...-brendon-goddard/story-fnca0u4y-1226482937162

So that's where we're at now, and I think it'd be good if we could centralise all Goddard-related talk here. Especially so that we can have a nice and contained angry dome in which we can have a sook if it doesn't work out.

Dear EFC,

Land this big fish, and all of your previous (and ****ing numerous) transgressions in list management are forgiven.

Sincerely,

Everyone

Is there something about this process that others are finding unsatisfying?

We seem to be fighting with about 10 of our players over the terms of their contracts the signing of which is basically being delayed until we can figure out whether we have signed Goddard.

I'd just like be able to throw our weight around once. Even with free agency we are still ****** around with all of these other problems.

Seems like the system is in need of serious refining.

Having said this, it is good to see EFC leading the way in the new climate for once.

We seem to be fighting with about 10 of our players over the terms of their contracts the signing of which is basically being delayed until we can figure out whether we have signed Goddard.

Yup.

I think part of it though is (and I could be wrong here), we've got a disproportionally large group that have come out of contract that the end of this year, certainly more than last year, so it's both an advantageous and unforuntate time for FA to hit.

I suspect that if we can really put some quantifiable evidence that we're going places on the field out there, and if the WOM on the new facility is good (gotta be better than Seaford's, for starters, if this is going to work), then we might be able to do this a bit more assertively.

Hope they do it early, don't wanna wait to 3rd week

10? Who are they?

I think you'll find that there are some that will have to pack their bags because we want to improve the list.

Also need to consider pay vs output. Our output has been schite yet players must be paid enough to reach 95% of cap (or whatever the figure is these days).

Some need to accept they just can't get good wages for s**t form. If we want the big fish to make us better, we need to free up some room and pay some players what they are worth now, not what they may have been worth based on potential.

I have zero issue with how the club has gone about this. For instance, why does Gumby deserve anyting more than 1 year on an avg wage? What has he done to deserve more? Same goes for Myers with his 2 (although he has signed) - his output to date has not been good enough. The list goes on...

Have to wait until at least Thursday, we can't officially table/sign our offer until Monday and St. Kilda have 72hrs to match. Could be as good as done is St. Kilda announce they won't match, but yeah, not officially until at least Thursday.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Have to wait until at least Thursday, we can't officially table/sign our offer until Monday and St. Kilda have 72hrs to match. Could be as good as done is St. Kilda announce they won't match, but yeah, not officially until at least Thursday.
St Kilda might just say no on the Monday and we get him on the Monday

Apparently he will play permanent mid

Hehehe, did u make it?

SuperFooty
Unless the club has said that he'll play full time midfield, and considering the club haven't even announced that he's at Essendon, I wouldn't believe it

That's all part of what Jon Ralph is going on about. Where he's getting it from I dunno.

That Goddard pic is going to be awesome fodder for others if this deal doesn't go through.

Hehehe, did u make it?
Certainly did.

That's all part of what Jon Ralph is going on about. Where he's getting it from I dunno.

That Goddard pic is going to be awesome fodder for others if this deal doesn't go through.
Think positive!
... God I hope this deal goes through.

Although, I do remember a few years ago, when people photoshopped Judd into an Essendon jumper. Not much mention was made of that!

Remove this Banner Ad

Back