Retired #9: Brendon Goddard - Retires a winner - Thanks for everything BJ

Remove this Banner Ad

But it wouldn't be savvy. He is not the category of having been bad enough to warrant being gotten rid of.

Which is exactly why a smart club would/should consider doing it.

His reputation alone gives him currency & could potentially be the icing on the cake for a contender who may offer him an option for a 2nd??

We sure as hell don't need to absorbing 700K+ for a bloke who's not grratly influencing our onfield progress any better than a 2nd/3rd year player who gets more midfield time. Then there's a potential handy trade we get for him too.

That's the thing with this club. We have to wait until a player is absolutely cooked before we flick them & BJ will be exactly that in 12 months.

We lose nothing offloading him.

But it wouldn't be savvy. He is not the category of having been bad enough to warrant being gotten rid of.

That should never be the only criteria for moving someone on.

Which is exactly why a smart club would/should consider doing it.

His reputation alone gives him currency & could potentially be the icing on the cake for a contender who may offer him an option for a 2nd??

We sure as hell don't need to absorbing 700K+ for a bloke who's not grratly influencing our onfield progress any better than a 2nd/3rd year player who gets more midfield time. Then there's a potential handy trade we get for him too.

That's the thing with this club. We have to wait until a player is absolutely cooked before we flick them & BJ will be exactly that in 12 months.

We lose nothing offloading him.

Exactly right. One year left on his current contract. We're not going to win the flag next season and i'm pretty sure he'll look to move on after contract expires. His trade value is at its peak now. A trade makes sense.

On what basis can one be so sure he'll look to move on after next year?

This has evolved awfully fast. A few bad games and suddenly he's cooked?

I don't think he's cooked....yet, think he'll be close to it in a couple of years.

The best Wed get is a late second rounder or a fringe player. I don't see how trading him makes any sense especially when you consider how good of a leader he is.

Makes even less sense if he's only going to be at the club for another 12 months?? What's to be achieved by that?? I'd take the 2nd rounder in a heartbeat & use some of the created cap space to give to Carlisle & fill any leadership void by asking him to take more in, if it means we're a better chance of retaining him. Something we've clearly got our work cut out in doing.

Is Goddard really that good a leader too?? All that sooky gesturing & juvenile byplay with opponents wouldn't appear to be good leadership to me. His demeanour at times seems counterproductive to the energy we want to create within the side too.

All the finger pointing & bellowing to teammates isn't nearly matched by his output these days either!

I thought he'd been playing injured. Given the state of the side at the moment I would have thought BJ worth keeping for his leadership value. He's been one of our best spokesmen through the saga, and loyal, and when he's playing he's as good as an on-field coach. I want Heppell, Laverde, Gleeson et. al. listening to what he has to say. He'll be a senior coach in 10 years.

I'm not sure if FA's who signed at new clubs become FA's again when their contract runs out. If Goddard is free to move though, you'd imagine he'd go and have a shot at flag.

Regardless though, in almost any league in the world that has trade/draft/FA structures like we do, Goddard would be out the door without any hesitation from anyone. The team has crashed and burned, it needs picks (for reasons different than the normal reasons), it's re-evaluating the list, you've got a star player on a deal running out soon, a guy who has already moved clubs before. It makes sense on all ends for Goddard to go. Oh but we need a player of his class? What, so we can ******* crawl into maybe 7th position on the ladder? ******* yippee. I mean, I certainly don't think St Kilda regret their decision to let Goddard and Dal Santo go. And I'm sure someone is gonna say but but but Melbourne, but at this point using Melbourne as an example in this sort of stuff is like using Greece as an example during a debate on fiscal matters. They're beyond a special case.

I joked about it in the D&T, but if our response to this year, list-wise, is to simply cut the 5 worse players + retirements and then say job well done I'll be furious. Guys like Goddard and Stanton who are still good, but easy to move for handy enough value, are who we should debating on. Not ******* Nick O'Brien.

If people are considering him being cooked, wouldn't his trade value be at the lowest? Why would a club trade a second rounder for him?

Yeah - Lots of over-reaction on BF - Goddard's kicking has been below standard for the last two weeks - Actually he's nailing the more difficult kicks,but fluffing the simple kicks.

Yeah - Lots of over-reaction on BF - Goddard's kicking has been below standard for the last two weeks - Actually he's nailing the more difficult kicks,but fluffing the simple kicks.
copped a pretty bad knock a few weeks ago to the leg/knee/ankle area. can't remember where. More than likely running around quite sore.
His kicking is still very, very good.

How we accommodate both BJ and Stants next year is going to be interesting.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did anybody else hear him on AFL360 last Tuesday (I think) night.

He was saying that he had 2 or 3 days away from the club & training.

Can't remember the complete details, but think it was to clear his head.

Some one else may be able to provide more detail.

Did anybody else hear him on AFL360 last Tuesday (I think) night.

He was saying that he had 2 or 3 days away from the club & training.

Can't remember the complete details, but think it was to clear his head.

Some one else may be able to provide more detail.
He was talking generally about players having time away from the club during the season and just mentioned he had done it and Lewis concurred with him that it is a common thing these days.

Cant put a $ value on what he brings..
His kicking may have decreased recently so i suppose that would only make him the best kick in our team by the length of the straight, rather than 2 lengths.

That should never be the only criteria for moving someone on.

Exactly right. One year left on his current contract. We're not going to win the flag next season and i'm pretty sure he'll look to move on after contract expires. His trade value is at its peak now. A trade makes sense.
you guys have to be joking there is a term that has always been there in football BJ is a football cheat never wins his own ball,he has no trade value unfortuneatley Essendon is stuck with him & his outrageous $800.000 a year contract,it is a shame as he will burn some of our up & coming young players & shorten their careers, I can see BJ doing a lot of bench warming

Some , sorry most of the crap in this thread is unreal. Yes he has had an ordinary year by his standards but so has the whole side. Everyone has been down.
He can turn his form around and despite leveling some criticism at him over his lack of defensive action he is a must stay. We are not that far away from getting back near the top if the WADA case goes our way. Letting blokes like Goddard go is a bad move.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back