Retired #9: Brendon Goddard - Retires a winner - Thanks for everything BJ

Remove this Banner Ad

I'm not sure if FA's who signed at new clubs become FA's again when their contract runs out. If Goddard is free to move though, you'd imagine he'd go and have a shot at flag.

Regardless though, in almost any league in the world that has trade/draft/FA structures like we do, Goddard would be out the door without any hesitation from anyone. The team has crashed and burned, it needs picks (for reasons different than the normal reasons), it's re-evaluating the list, you've got a star player on a deal running out soon, a guy who has already moved clubs before. It makes sense on all ends for Goddard to go. Oh but we need a player of his class? What, so we can ******* crawl into maybe 7th position on the ladder? ******* yippee. I mean, I certainly don't think St Kilda regret their decision to let Goddard and Dal Santo go. And I'm sure someone is gonna say but but but Melbourne, but at this point using Melbourne as an example in this sort of stuff is like using Greece as an example during a debate on fiscal matters. They're beyond a special case.

I joked about it in the D&T, but if our response to this year, list-wise, is to simply cut the 5 worse players + retirements and then say job well done I'll be furious. Guys like Goddard and Stanton who are still good, but easy to move for handy enough value, are who we should debating on. Not ******* Nick O'Brien.

Excellent post that needs to be quoted. I think the AFL is still in the dark ages on some of their thinking .....look at the ridiculous resting players discussion. It's about assembling a team to win the next premiership not finish 7th or 8th. The tanks get it....sell high, especially a guy wrong side of 30.

I'm not sure if FA's who signed at new clubs become FA's again when their contract runs out. If Goddard is free to move though, you'd imagine he'd go and have a shot at flag.

Regardless though, in almost any league in the world that has trade/draft/FA structures like we do, Goddard would be out the door without any hesitation from anyone. The team has crashed and burned, it needs picks (for reasons different than the normal reasons), it's re-evaluating the list, you've got a star player on a deal running out soon, a guy who has already moved clubs before. It makes sense on all ends for Goddard to go. Oh but we need a player of his class? What, so we can ******* crawl into maybe 7th position on the ladder? ******* yippee. I mean, I certainly don't think St Kilda regret their decision to let Goddard and Dal Santo go. And I'm sure someone is gonna say but but but Melbourne, but at this point using Melbourne as an example in this sort of stuff is like using Greece as an example during a debate on fiscal matters. They're beyond a special case.

I joked about it in the D&T, but if our response to this year, list-wise, is to simply cut the 5 worse players + retirements and then say job well done I'll be furious. Guys like Goddard and Stanton who are still good, but easy to move for handy enough value, are who we should debating on. Not ******* Nick O'Brien.
If they do what you suggest then I will be furious. Guess they can't please both of us. ;)

Remember how BJ said it was bullshit a month ago? Remember how Dodoro said it was bullshit as well?

I trust them more than SEN.

Suggesting trading Goddard is one of the least thought out ideas I've seen on this board.
Seems there could be something to this..
He's a great player but his paying out on his own team mates on the field is a terrible look..needs to pull his head in..
He is clearly becoming very slow late in games and some of his turnovers this year were just mind boggling. You can't be kicking like that and telling everyone else how it should be done.

Would trade him for something decent but not for peanuts.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Someone would have to pay way overs to get him that's for sure... He has been one of our best off field leaders during the saga, I'd be amazed if he left now..

It's not a complete disaster for the right price.

He won't be a part of our next premiership tilt so if we can get a deal too good to refuse, similar to the dogs with Griffen, then I'd say it's a good idea.

It's not a complete disaster for the right price.

He won't be a part of our next premiership tilt so if we can get a deal too good to refuse, similar to the dogs with Griffen, then I'd say it's a good idea.

Neither is Jobe using your logic.. Should we just get rid of him for the right price too?
BJ offers a lot and will be around for at least another 3 seasons..

Remove this Banner Ad

Back