Player Watch #9: Charlie Spargo

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne
He hasn't been any good this year, but I think writing off a second year player when 3/4 of the team is garbage is harsh. He's short and not particularly quick, but he's got a decent football brain and can use the pill so he should be given time to work around his deficiencies... in the VFL.

Cannon82

Cancelled
10k Posts Melbourne Poster of the Year Melbourne Demons - Ben Kennedy Player Sponsor 2016 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Player Sponsor 2015 Melbourne Demons - Dom Barry Sponsor 2014 Melbourne Demons - Jeremy Howe Sponsor 2014
Oct 26, 2012
AFL Club
Melbourne

Topkent

Confirmed ITK Drafting King
Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I'm getting more joy out of just guessing the spelling of words than checking em. Pretty funny how far phonetically ( most ironic thing ever) spelt words are from the reality.

He’s nothing more than ‘neat’ at this point. Has no weapons.

Certainly not writing him off but I would far prefer he develops a little more at Casey for a year.
He's really not that neat either. We had him playing off half back at times, and he was missing kicks and dropping marks.

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
He's really not that neat either. We had him playing off half back at times, and he was missing kicks and dropping marks.

Not trying to tear the kid apart as he’s only a second year player and we are out of form in a number of areas - but even if he could kick 50 metres it would be handy.

He’s good for 20-25 metre foot passes and 35 metres from goal. Anything more is out of his range which really is poor at AFL level.

CWaffles

Norm Smith Medallist
Jul 10, 2012
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Ferrari, Chicago Bulls, NY Giants
Charlie Spargo is an excellent young player. He has got lots of footy smarts, is naturally aggressive and he is a goal kicker. He’s struggled this year no doubt, but the kid has a broken jaw. And he’s a small forward playing in a ******* disfunctional forward set up.

He doesn't do much of this either, i think he has the talent but playing him in this team at the moment is definitely the wrong option, he would continue to improve if he spent half the year in Casey and just work on the small forward component of his game.

Shouldn't be written off but he needs to develop in the 2's.

He its an icing on the cake player, he plays better when the team are dominating, but he goes missing when the rest of the team does.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
He doesn't do much of this either, i think he has the talent but playing him in this team at the moment is definitely the wrong option, he would continue to improve if he spent half the year in Casey and just work on the small forward component of his game.

Shouldn't be written off but he needs to develop in the 2's.

He its an icing on the cake player, he plays better when the team are dominating, but he goes missing when the rest of the team does.

Yeah pretty terrible call by temp, 14 goals in 20 games as a small forward isnt a goalkicker

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
His first 20 games, to be fair.
Might not ever be an easier season to kick a goal than last year though with how dominant our attack was. I'm not writing him off as a player but not sure if describe him as a natural goal kicker.

Might not ever be an easier season to kick a goal than last year though with how dominant our attack was. I'm not writing him off as a player but not sure if describe him as a natural goal kicker.
I think he's a goalkicker (his snaps seem to hit the target) but not a natural crumber. Hopefully he can learn for a year in the reserves, and use what is an undoubtedly smart footballing mind to make up for being a bit slower than most small forwards.

Topkent

Aug 29, 2010
Canada
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Winnipeg Jets
I think he's a goalkicker (his snaps seem to hit the target) but not a natural crumber. Hopefully he can learn for a year in the reserves, and use what is an undoubtedly smart footballing mind to make up for being a bit slower than most small forwards.

Im sure as we speak hes somewhere being taught how to win contested footy

thecuzsays

seancurreyfitness (instagram)
Jun 23, 2015
AFL Club
Melbourne
I reckon Lewis and arguably both Wagners is (Def Corey) have to go first but after that spargo just needs a few games to run some form up in the VFL. Wont hurt him but unfortunately he is the least of the problems has all the upside and spot will remain very safe for now.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
I think the coaches are managing the half forwards in Hannan Bennell Spargo Pickett really well

Best game he has played at the club. Played some good ones in 18 but not sure any better than that. Looked really sure of himself.
Definitely not his best game for the club but was more in the style of his best football, for sure. Was the most aggressive he’s played though I think. Some impressive ground ball attempts

I think the coaches are managing the half forwards in Hannan Bennell Spargo Pickett really well
The half forwards were what made us in 2018 (vanders and ANB too). When we play our best football they look like some of our best players.

saj_21

Cancelled
Melbourne Board Tipping Champion
Aug 30, 2007
AFL Club
Melbourne
Other Teams
Warney's IPL team!
The half forwards were what made us in 2018 (vanders and ANB too). When we play our best football they look like some of our best players.

Winning ground ball inside forward 60m, forward pressure and hitting targets inside 50. All crucial to our game

Back