Player Watch #9: Charlie Spargo

Remove this Banner Ad

Our second best (behind ANB) for pressure acts against the Saints - feels like we're finally getting a few scores from that style of play which is great.

Laurie and Bowey are both meant to be high IQ and good disposal players. These three with Pickett around Weid, Brown, Jackson sounds decent if it all comes together
Being able to rotate Petracca, Kossie, Spargo, Sparrow and Jordon (and hopefully Bowey and Laurie) through high half forward and the midfield and get a decent standard of both pressure and forward impact possessions from all is key to our scoring potential. Arguably more important than the talk forwards.

Left field thought. Is it possible Spargo's kick from the boundary that hit the post was actually a goal?

As the ball passed the furthest goal post it just nicks the back of the post leading to the goal being overturned.
spargo poster 1.png
However, the rule is that the entire ball must pass over the entire line to score, so if that occured before the ball hit the post then it would have been a goal. Charlie snapped it so the ball was spinning backwards over end on a 45 degree angle. The ball hits the post at the point so it is plausible that the ball may have crossed the entire line before it hit the post.
Spargo poster 2.png

The goal umpire's call was a goal. The evidence is inconclusive as to whether the ball hit the post before or after the entire ball had cleared the line. As the AFL defers to the umpire's original call on inconclusive vision the laws of the AFL state that it should have been a goal.

That is to say, CHARLIE WAZ ROBBED!!1!11!

Left field thought. Is it possible Spargo's kick from the boundary that hit the post was actually a goal?

As the ball passed the furthest goal post it just nicks the back of the post leading to the goal being overturned.
View attachment 1091197
However, the rule is that the entire ball must pass over the entire line to score, so if that occured before the ball hit the post then it would have been a goal. Charlie snapped it so the ball was spinning backwards over end on a 45 degree angle. The ball hits the post at the point so it is plausible that the ball may have crossed the entire line before it hit the post.
View attachment 1091198

The goal umpire's call was a goal. The evidence is inconclusive as to whether the ball hit the post before or after the entire ball had cleared the line. As the AFL defers to the umpire's original call on inconclusive vision the laws of the AFL state that it should have been a goal.

That is to say, CHARLIE WAZ ROBBED!!1!11!
I thought it was going to be a goal bc I was under the impression that if it hits the back of the post it’s clear.

Lot of man love for this guy. Considering he looks like a child, that's probably not appropriate but f*** he's come on exactly the way i hoped. I've backed him day one and I'm so happy he's now best 22 and proving his worth. He just looks like a winner to me. Team first mentality. The great Lions team and even the recent Tigers side has a few like him. If our bottom 6 is playing like Charlie, then we're in for a good ride next few years tbh..

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Impressive interview. Next captain?

I don’t know about Captain but I thought the same, good interview and very articulate is our Charlie. I reckon Dees would go very nicely if AFL was more of a debating type sport. TMac and ANB also able to string together a nicely constructed sentence.

Why am I now having Pythonesque images in my head of red robed Plato type Dees strolling aimlessly, philosophy battling ... with Jobe commentating in Latin?

Just shows you don't need to rack up disposals to be useful to the team.
Chipped in with a good goal and I thought his pressure acts were fantastic tonight and is playing his role perfectly.

Incredible number of *******s sledging him in the Olympic stand tonight.
Not as bad as the ******* in one of the corporate boxes sledging Buddy with some incredibly colourful language

Not as bad as the ******* in one of the corporate boxes sledging Buddy with some incredibly colourful language
Yeah but corporate boxes literally exist for that purpose, I expect more from Dees fans in the pleb seats than i do from corporates

Remove this Banner Ad

Back