Player Watch #9: Charlie Spargo

Remove this Banner Ad

Least impressive ‘highlights’ video of all time! Must have something for JT yo call him out first but that highlights reel does him no favours at all.
Yeah, I reckon I could have matched that with my own high school 2 min highlight package - and I was not even close to getting drafted...

Kinda unspectacular. I'm happy to forget about him until he does something noteworthy - hopefully he'll surprise me one day.

Yeah, I reckon I could have matched that with my own high school 2 min highlight package - and I was not even close to getting drafted...

Kinda unspectacular. I'm happy to forget about him until he does something noteworthy - hopefully he'll surprise me one day.
I disagree. His attack on the ball makes him stand out from other draft videos, even if he's not doing as many freakish things.

Not expecting much in the first year or two and that feels nice. Will back the recruiters in if they see something in him.

Lol not rating a bloke because of a sub standard 2 min highlight package.

Pretty sure he played more footy than those 2 mins

Yeah, and I wonder what Sam Mitchell's highlights video would have looked like, for example.

Giving him the number 9 tells me the recruiting staff have a lot of faith in him, and given their recent history of nailing later picks I'm prepared to watch him actually play a game of footy before writing him off as a wasted pick.

I think Spargo looks a player tbh. I keep hearing he's tough as nails and loves to work hard. One of the most disciplined trainers in the draft. This excites me. He's exactly what Goodwin wants in the team. I think he and Petty were great pick ups and will be long term players. Fritsch and Baker are more risky as they are impact players(what our team needs more of). Spargo just looks like he belongs to me. Sometimes you can just look at a kid and know they will go ok at AFL. Spargo looks like that for me..

Either saying he will or won't make it based on a description and a 2 minute highlight package is ridiculous. Give the kid some time to train at AFL level and play against men before his whole career is laid out.

No one would have given Hunt or Jetta any chance off their highlight videos and Toumpas and Watts were guaranteed superstars off theirs.

Statistically pick 30s aren't a highly successful pick but rolling 5, 8 times in a row with a dice neither makes your more or less likely to roll a 5 again.

Lol not rating a bloke because of a sub standard 2 min highlight package.

Pretty sure he played more footy than those 2 mins
I don't think anybody has put a line through the guy. Obviously all of us would love him to do well. It's natural to be variously excited depending on how those highlight reels look - but that just determines who we get excited about in the short-term. In the long-term it has nothing to do with who does well at the club. Happy to wait and see what happens.

Hope he goes well for you. Loved his dad when he played and would expect him to be just as hard at the ball. My dad follows the Dees so every now and then I have a chardy with him and we bang on about how I have strayed North of the family line, so to speak.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Where's Burgo with Spy Cam?

It was signed out 2 weeks ago by someone with the initials SG and is being used for 24hr surveillance in James Harmes' bedroom

[MOD EDIT] Yeah its a no from me on that video dawg.

Last edited by a moderator:
[MOD EDIT] Yeah its a no from me on that video dawg.

Butters! Why was there a weird man in your room watching you sleep and peeing on your face? You are grounded!

Imagine looking back in five years after your hundredth game on the footage of being told you’re making your debut, except it’s impossible to be happily nostalgic because the person telling you is former Melbourne coach Simon Goodwin

Remove this Banner Ad

Back