AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel

Remove this Banner Ad

I think ideally, a mature conversation would be had in which both parties acknowledge he's come here to win to a flag, and it's unlikely to happen anytime soon since the core of the side that may have done that has gone (Daniher, Saad, etc), and therefore moving on probably works for both parties - Shiel moves to a legit contender and we get some more picks to continue rebuilding.

But this is the AFL and we don't have those type of conversations.

I think ideally, a mature conversation would be had in which both parties acknowledge he's come here to win to a flag, and it's unlikely to happen anytime soon since the core of the side that may have done that has gone (Daniher, Saad, etc), and therefore moving on probably works for both parties - Shiel moves to a legit contender and we get some more picks to continue rebuilding.

I am pretty sure he had a conversation of this type on radio at the end of last year.

I mean, having it on the radio doesn't really do much. And given the tyre fire of last off-season, Essendon would have wanted no part in it (same with if Merrett had submitted a request). Obviously Parish's performances may make Essendon more partial to it this off-season (particularly if Merrett were to stay and Shiel was the only way to acquire more picks.)

I wouldn't be doing a Treloar to him, but equally, it works well for both parties imo. But again, respectfully done.

I mean, having it on the radio doesn't really do much. And given the tyre fire of last off-season, Essendon would have wanted no part in it (same with if Merrett had submitted a request). Obviously Parish's performances may make Essendon more partial to it this off-season (particularly if Merrett were to stay and Shiel was the only way to acquire more picks.)

I wouldn't be doing a Treloar to him, but equally, it works well for both parties imo. But again, respectfully done.
The point about his radio interviews (and he's done probably two dozen or more in the last few years, weekly in 2019) – he's not someone who wallows in regret. He can be a bit egocentric, but no one could doubt his commitment. He's 110% into everything all the time, and he doesn't look back. He's not hanging around wondering what if he'd gone to Carlton instead, or stayed at GWS for an extra year. Just a very grounded, committed sort of player. So I doubt he's even thinking about a move, he's very secure in the position he's in and focusing on other things.

As for the club's perspective, how many of the below do you think will play more than 10 AFL games for us in 2022?

Cale Hooker - OOC 2021
David Zaharakis - OOC 2021
Michael Hurley - OOC 2022
Andrew Phillips - OOC 2021
Patrick Ambrose - OOC 2021
Dyson Heppell - OOC 2022
Dylan Shiel - OOC 2024
Anthony McDonald-Tipungwuti - OOC 2022
Devon Smith - OOC 2023
James Stewart - OOC 2022
Jake Stringer - OOC 2021

That's everyone who is 27 or older at Essendon atm... lots of them are out of contract, injury prone, or have lost their spots to kids...

I don't see the club wanting an end of first round draft pick quite that badly. If it were two top 10 picks that would be an entirely different conversation, but no one is offering that so it's also moot.

we should trade him right now because there is absolutely zero chance Parish will ever get injured or suspended or even need to sit on the bench for a little bit

(Log in to remove this ad.)

we should trade him right now because there is absolutely zero chance Parish will ever get injured or suspended or even need to sit on the bench for a little bit
And Parish is so good he can play two spots in the midfield.

Dylan Shiel is our best clearance player whether you acknowledge it or not. Also one of the best in the competition.

When he comes back, Parish should be taking Merrett's CBAs because he does his best work on the outside.

How long is the rebuild going to take?

I think a lot of the frustration comes from we got him in to be "the man" or at least the price we paid was such.

But he is perfect if the rest of the midfield comes on and he gets to explode away from contests etc instead of having to wrench the ball out in a contested scenario.
The pick we would get for him in a trade would be what? We still need break away from a stoppage speed in there so you would be hoping for a younger version of Shiel using a higher pick?
Better off keeping him.

The entire competition has been a midfield arms race for the last 15 years, we're just starting to hit an adequate midfield spread (with the emphasis on adequate in terms of depth and variety) and his injury is non degenerative and isn't expected to have any lasting effects, especially given the way he prepares.

One step forward, two steps back, the conversation may as well be 'why do we continue to wallow in the middle third of the ladder?'

Last edited:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back