AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel

Remove this Banner Ad

Personally - I though Shiel has his back to Parker, so generally didn't see it.

There were possibly several other players that would have seen it, but didn't do anything to continue on with it.

Other than the Parker vision - it was pretty much a non-event.
there's vision. Shiel sees Parker (who kept the carry on going) and laughed at him.
probably the right response.

He's realised he made a mistake coming to Essendon because he thought he could win a flag due to the fact he was sold the premiership dream. As a result he has cracked it and not performing.

That's only my opinion of course.

He's realised he made a mistake coming to Essendon because he thought he could win a flag due to the fact he was sold the premiership dream. As a result he has cracked it and not performing.

Absolutely no doubt that we sold him a lemon.

30 early next season
2 years left with us after this year
Rebuild should have started year after he joined when Daniher asked to leave
then it starts a year later
New coach a year after he joins (added bonus of a transition plan for a year)

That said, you can perform and get yourself on the trade radar. Wouldn't begrudge him the move.

Shiel's positioning was fine.

Then he gave up the corridor.

We're bad at controlling the corridor, because players (e.g. Shiel this time) get drawn across to the ball in play instead of setting up where appropriate to control the field. If it was a lesser player than Papley maybe he'd have gotten away with it. If he worked harder to cover the ground (we know he's an exceptional athlete) then maybe he'd have gotten away with it. If another player had recognised this and come across to cover for him then maybe he'd have gotten away with it.

None of this occurred, so he didn't get away with it.
You are right. The issue was he did not go with Paley when he went through the middle. He drifted across with the ball and allowed Papley a free run through the middle. You can see two other Essendon players just drifting across as well.

Sorry for the intrusion but just wanted to add something i heard from a caller into SEN today

The Caller was from the area where DS and Parker were playing football as juniors and from what he said since the under 12's and his comments were that these 2 players know eachother really well and have played footy against eachother all their careers and its probably due to this that Parker was either making that action and its kinda like a 'inside joke sort of thing'

Just made me think it could be true as you dont usually see that kind of behavior on the footy field and Parker is usually a good sportsman and i have never seen him taunt another player like that.

Probably not his best spot and certainly overpaid for the job but... I would have him tag Bolton. Last chance to prove he's got cajones.

I've seen it a few times and, to me, Parker just looks like a dickhe**. Doing it half a dozen times makes him look even sillier. Surely Matthew Lloyd didn't used to be so easily triggered?

Last edited:
Sorry for the intrusion but just wanted to add something i heard from a caller into SEN today

The Caller was from the area where DS and Parker were playing football as juniors and from what he said since the under 12's and his comments were that these 2 players know eachother really well and have played footy against eachother all their careers and its probably due to this that Parker was either making that action and its kinda like a 'inside joke sort of thing'

Just made me think it could be true as you dont usually see that kind of behavior on the footy field and Parker is usually a good sportsman and i have never seen him taunt another player like that.

the way that shiel laughs at him probably suggests thats true

even yesterday to the media he said he didnt think much of it, I guess the media took it in its fullest context along with the plight of the side and made it to be a huge slight on the man and the team

the way that shiel laughs at him probably suggests thats true

even yesterday to the media he said he didnt think much of it, I guess the media took it in its fullest context along with the plight of the side and made it to be a huge slight on the man and the team
I think in some sense it has been blown out of proportion as it was not even Shiel that Parker easily side stepped to kick a goal.
Was an appropriate sledge for the way we where playing.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I've seen it a few times and, to me, Parker just looks like a dickhe**. Doing it half a dozen times makes him look even sillier. Surely Matthew Lloyd didn't used to be so easily triggered?
A dickhead who plays finals every year.

All the talk about how soft Shiel is and how it's recognized by our opposition and how he is a bad team mate who plays selfish footy has taken the focus off his poor skills though I'll give him that. And they really are poor.

A dickhead who plays finals every year.
I am sure lots of dickheads play finals footy every year, and win soccer matches and cricket matches and the rest. A lot that don't carry on like dickheads also play finals footy and win cricket matches and tennis tournaments every year. I was making an observation about how it looked to me. I'm not sure what your point is.

I am sure lots of dickheads play finals footy every year, and win soccer matches and cricket matches and the rest. A lot that don't carry on like dickheads also play finals footy and win cricket matches and tennis tournaments every year. I was making an observation about how it looked to me. I'm not sure what your point is.

The ratio of dickhead to non dickhead in elite sporting champions is well slanted toward the dickhead, you need a certain amount of driven a-hole type qualities to be a champion I think.

It's why the Federer's of the world stand out like a beacon, because they managed to scale the heights while not handing their principals to the devil

...yeah, and that screenshot is the spot he's in where in the video he starts telling Redman to go back, just from the other side. Note Shiel's arm. So if Shiel's positioning is fine and where he should be.....why would he give that up to shut down Papley? It seems the right thing to do is identify if anyone is in the wrong spot and tell them to move on. Let's say for example's sake...Mason Redman. Like I said above, s**t like this is stupid. Get your head kicked in like this, you can find whatever bad guys you want.

View attachment 1401976

Shiel's problem here is that he started running towards the ball while we had numbers on the wing and left the corridor open. Had he stayed in his original position, he could have rolled back into defence. Because he didn't, he had zero impact on the play and Papley went unmarked.

I don’t recall seeing this so idk what to make of it, but kind of annoyed he’s been pinned right when he’s starting to get going again.
Dylan Shiel, Essendon, has been charged with Striking Zak Butters, Port Adelaide, during the third quarter of the Round 11 match between Port Adelaide and Essendon played at the Adelaide Oval on Sunday, May 29, 2022.

In summary, he can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea.

Based on the available evidence, the incident was assessed as Intentional Conduct, Low Impact, Body Contact. The incident was classified as a $3000 sanction as a first offence. The player can accept a $2000 sanction with an early plea.

Jesus, last week he was soft now he's too tough :rolleyesv1:
Simpsons Thats The Joke GIF

I've been willing to cut him some slack while a few have taken pot shots when uncalled for but I think he's doing a Mark Mercuri/Corey McKernan this year.

Go from really good player to struggle street. I think he's hit that spot. At this point I don't see a way back.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back