AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel

Remove this Banner Ad

i’d love to see a close up of his face after

hjRhueE.jpg

As a player in his first year for a new club, that stuff shouldn't be on him. (I'm not on the socials though so I can't account for any other player who may have posted) I remember how gutted he looked after Rd 1. I consider him a player with a high level of ownership. This club needs more players like that.

I think the leadership group needs a bit of a shake up. Captain and VC are fine with me, but when the rest comprises of a player who willingly relegates himself to the two's, one embroiled in homesick/trade rumors and another who has spent the better part of two seasons off the park it's far from ideal. On field presence is paramount.

Not getting enough love for his game last night. The usual scintillating breaks from congestion (that I still find so damn exciting to watch) but added a brilliant goal and hit targets going forward.

Was his turn to do the post-match interview for the club last night. I really like hearing him speak, his perception of the club and the players coming in from another club are really interesting, obviously drives standards too. Listening to some of his radio interviews, sounds like he gets on well with Heppell, McGrath and Merrett particularly, do some weird hardcore fitness/conditioning stuff together.

I’d hate to think what this season would have been like without Dylan Shiel. We’d certainly not be playing finals. He has covered half our injuries himself. His relative injury free season, soft tissue-wise, is a testament to how professional he is off the park. This has also trickled over to Merrett by all reports so double his influence.

While he hasn’t had a Brownlow year, imagine what he could have done if we had Brisbane’s run of injuries? While he won’t get mentioned in end of season talk about who was the best trade/recruit of 2019, I can’t think of another who was single-handily the difference between their side playing finals and not in 2019.

Big shout out to Dylan Shiel.

If only he was 10cm taller... Can we get him some lifts? Still think he can win a Brownlow, or at least go close, in next few years. 10-14 votes this year.

I’d hate to think what this season would have been like without Dylan Shiel. We’d certainly not be playing finals. He has covered half our injuries himself. His relative injury free season, soft tissue-wise, is a testament to how professional he is off the park. This has also trickled over to Merrett by all reports so double his influence.

While he hasn’t had a Brownlow year, imagine what he could have done if we had Brisbane’s run of injuries? While he won’t get mentioned in end of season talk about who was the best trade/recruit of 2019, I can’t think of another who was single-handily the difference between their side playing finals and not in 2019.

Big shout out to Dylan Shiel.

If only he was 10cm taller... Can we get him some lifts? Still think he can win a Brownlow, or at least go close, in next few years. 10-14 votes this year.
Merrett has always been an 'overdo it' sort of player. I don't think he needed Shiel to inspire him to a professional work ethic.

Reckon that was his best game for us. Kicking was good, couple of goals and had a crucial tackle stopping Mundy running out of the middle, ended up in Langers goal.
Shiel looks like costing Essendon Pick 11 in 2018, pick 13 in 2019 less a GWS second round pick in 2019.
That's a very good outcome for Essendon this year, and hopefully the next five.

This man's professionalism is a standard that I hope our entire team replicates one day. I have the upmost respect for him.

Also I saw his new On the Amart Couch interview recently and he mentioned that his all-time sporting hero is Chris Judd. Now I'm not surprised why he seems to mimic him a lot in his playing style and intensity.

Interview Here

(Log in to remove this ad.)

This man's professionalism is a standard that I hope our entire team replicates one day. I have the upmost respect for him.

Also I saw his new On the Amart Couch interview recently and he mentioned that his all-time sporting hero is Chris Judd. Now I'm not surprised why he seems to mimic him a lot in his playing style and intensity.

Interview Here
Some of that was very clearly scripted by someone else :tearsofjoy:

Interview Here
he could probably set the bar a little higher.

Interview Here
I haven't seen him go for the eye gouge or the career ending chicken wing yet so he can't be that enamored with Judd

I told yas all he was soft and everyone was still in love with him.

We have paid a huge huge price to get a B- mid who is a very ordinary kick.

Oh but he runs fast.
You were wrong then and you're wrong now.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back