AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel

Remove this Banner Ad

Had some shocking moments but that tackle was excellent.

Needs to bring that pressure at every contest.
The two shocking moments where the two shots at goal. Other than that he used the footy well and was involved in a few of the goals.

The issue we have is what to do with him.
I was all for getting him on board and have been vocal as far as being the voice against a lot of the negative comment but the issue is we now have two players who need to play the same role. Shiel and Parish and we are not likely to pull Parish out of the midfield. I was hoping he could adapt to a bit of a forward role and different midfield role but it is not really working . He looks out of sorts and we are paying him big dollars to play a reduced role which is now further reduced as Caldwell starts to get more midfield time and Hobbs on the horizon.
He is still an elite clearance player and at the end of last year I argued strongly that we needed him for the midfield depth based on him being able to fill a midfield role along with Parish but on the sample size so far it is clear his best form is to be doing what Parish is and that is not going to happen.
I stick by my comments as far as giving him a tick for taking on the blocking role to start the first game and trying to fit in as far as different roles go but going forward do you want one of your highest paid players playing bit part roles ?
I feel for him a bit as he was sold the vision of being the number 1 clearance guy and his 2019 season was excellent but then we had the s**t storm of 2020 and then he got injured and in that time Parish has taken his role.
I would not be surprised if he asked to be traded (no inside info) and right now given we have Hobbs in the fold my view is if we got a decent second round pick and had to pay some of his salary (no more than $200k) it may be better long term for both him and us.
Unlike most I an not anti Dylan and I hope he can find some mojo but it just does not look like a good fit at the moment.

I agree. I like what he brings to the midfield but he strike me as a tad one-dimensional and I am not sure there's room for that with Hobbs coming through.

If there can be a respectful parting of ways at seasons end I don't think anyone would begrudge him that if we got a reasonable pick.

Was listening to Georgia Nanscawen being interviewed the other day, she mentioned something about a meniscus issue last year and how she had to learn how to kick properly because her self-taught kicking action was relying on quads and quickly flicking the leg forward, rather than using glutes and hammies to kick through the ball, which put strain on the knee and led to the meniscus injury.

Given Shiel has a history of meniscus issues and is a dodgy kick at times, I wonder if it might be a similar issue where he needs to actually work on his kicking action in order to fix the knee problem.

Also I suspect whatever he did to his knee last week may well be the meniscus again, the way he reacted seemed like he knew exactly what it was, but seemingly not bad enough to miss games yet.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Did they also agree when Rowbottom assaulted Merrett? Because nobody showed any care for their team mate then either.
One was during the play where a Sydney player pushed another into Merrett. One was during a break in play where there was no accident.

Mind you if you are suggesting we’re not a team who stands up for team mates I’d agree with that too.

Got dropped but instead of serving as a warning to him, I think Dylan decided that's the point he would request a trade out of the club.
Doesn't seem to want to be out there.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back