AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel

Remove this Banner Ad

Whatever faults he may have, Shiel isn’t a soft footballer. He’s not Glen Archer….but he’s not soft.

He’s run of the mill AFL brave which makes him a million times harder than any of us.

If the Parker spray was what it looked like, whether it was directed at Shiel or someone else, then it’s a horrible reflection on our club that nobody took issue with it.
Name one current inside midfielder softer than him.

Hard disagree on laying any blame on Lloyd. I put that down to coaches playing favourites which has been a major issue for 15 years. Guys were getting games well after they were past it, which set the tone and lead to a degradation of culture.

It continued on for years - Welsh, McVeigh, Hille, McPhee and countless others who were not punished for poor performances in their respective twilight years.

I agree with a lot of what you say but this one I don’t see Lloyd being a contributing factor back then. It was club arrogance that drove this culture.
There was a lot going on behind the scenes. All I know was after 1 game under Knights Lloyd was openly criticizing the coach in front of players and that Hird had also had a crack at him about how the place was going under his leadership and his total inability to connect with most of the playing group. Personally I have no issue with Lloyd in my dealings with him. I was doing some rehab at the WH fitness center back then and used to do a lot of laps walking the oval and I would run into him a lot when he was doing goal kicking. Good enough bloke who would have a chat . Have heard from various sources it was the end of the Sheedy era where the current culture crept in and Lloyd as captain and the poor relationship with Knights set in motion what we have seen since.

Fracture with him and the rest of the group or the group entirely fractured. Lloyd summed it up well on the footy show shiel has a great opportunity to get him back in the very next centre bounce and didn’t even lay any body pressure. No one stood up for merrett either, such a soft group of players we have.
It clearly is fractured. I go back to the Geelong game first round. Shiel plays the role of blocker in the first quarter and the rest just run their own race and the game is over by the 20 minute mark so he chucks it in. I do not condone it. It is a piss poor attitude but I can understand it. He was sold a turd by us. He was coming in after years of average at the GWS and he was going to be the guy. Worked well in the first year and the start of 2020 but he quickly found out how little our blokes cared about giving any protection or having any physical presence.
I think he is a selfish w***er and have had enough as well. There is no coming back from this. Trouble is there are a few other key players he need to go out the door with him.

None of them are soft.

If they were they wouldn’t be on an AFL list playing inside mid.
You need to watch other teams if you don’t think Shiel is soft.

He got mocked for it. Right in front of his face. In the middle of a game on national television and what did he do? Turned the other way and acted like he never saw it. That could’ve been his turning point right there. He could’ve started on half forward and lined Parker up. Cop a week but salvage some sort of reputation and dignity.

Seriously, in the whole league list one inside mid that is softer than Shiel? How about one that is less composed under pressure?

It clearly is fractured. I go back to the Geelong game first round. Shiel plays the role of blocker in the first quarter and the rest just run their own race and the game is over by the 20 minute mark so he chucks it in. I do not condone it. It is a piss poor attitude but I can understand it. He was sold a turd by us. He was coming in after years of average at the GWS and he was going to be the guy. Worked well in the first year and the start of 2020 but he quickly found out how little our blokes cared about giving any protection or having any physical presence.
I think he is a selfish w***er and have had enough as well. There is no coming back from this. Trouble is there are a few other key players he need to go out the door with him.
Name them
What is the reason for your change of tune if you thought others were to blame but now you’re finally done with shiel himself. Personally, it looks like he couldn’t give 1 care about how we go, he’s happy just to collect his pay check. He has to go at the end of the year, for himself and for us. The problem will be finding a buyer.

Hey Essendon, sell me a NFT of this.

My President

saluting-face_1fae1.png

Sad that Dylan's legacy will be either not worth two first rounders or now the openly mocking from Luke Parker..

Such a demise that a year or two before we traded for him, he was an All Australian.

Name them
What is the reason for your change of tune if you thought others were to blame but now you’re finally done with shiel himself. Personally, it looks like he couldn’t give 1 care about how we go, he’s happy just to collect his pay check. He has to go at the end of the year, for himself and for us. The problem will be finding a buyer.
Your number 1 man to start with. Parish. One of our best players. Has been given the number 1 midfield role and gives nothing going the other way and simply points at others. Shiel is asked to play a lesser role and has to look at a bloke down hill skiing week in and week out. I know there is a lot of reasonable observation of how Parish is behind the scenes. The comment that really sticks with me is " got a massive case of uncurbable footy head " .
He is a super coach footballer. Just cares about the stats.
I have never said Shiel was not without blame but more that the same standards should applied to all. I thought it would work getting him back in the side but it has not . I am over him because he does not give a * and if he does not give a * then I would sooner see him go in the same way I was happy to see the back of Daniher when he wanted to go.
He has been a scape goat because of what we payed for him. I was 90% happy with how it started but what happened in 2020 clearly had the effect that if no on else cared then he would not either. I know he apologized to the group for his attitude in the back half of 2020 but here we are and nothing has changed with the attitudes in the group and he has just chucked it in again. You can not build anything on that.
We now have a $800k player doing reduced roles and collecting his cash and a bloke on $700k just chasing the footy and padding his stats.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I agree with what he says but I do wonder how Lloyd would have fared playing in this side . Lets face it he played along side at least 12 players that would never take a backward step when it came to physical footy.

I agree with what he says but I do wonder how Lloyd would have fared playing in this side . Lets face it he played along side at least 12 players that would never take a backward step when it came to physical footy.
I think respect is the core of the whole thing right now. Respect for each other, respect for self, respect from other clubs. Potentially respect for other people at the club, coaches & whatever, the members, if you want to frame it that way.

Well said Lloydy. If Paddy Ambrose was still playing would have lined him up on the wing at next bounce and told him to ‘Yeates’ Parker next contest.
I think you mean "yote" :p

Will also say Shiel was just the closest player. Think Parker was more reacting to how easy it was to step inside 3 or 4 of our guys.
Hope the coach plays it on loop.

I’m not a Shiel supporter. I think he’s been quite poor this year. Effort has left a lot to be desired.

But last night he had team mates having a crack at him (Redman - and IMO rightfully so) and the opposition mocking him.

Time for a spell. Not just for the benefit of the team but for him as well.

Will also say Shiel was just the closest player. Think Parker was more reacting to how easy it was to step inside 3 or 4 of our guys.
Hope the coach plays it on loop.
That and he just let the ball go under heat from Warner.
2nd year player sweating a 29yo "elite" clearance player.

Imagine there's a bit of old cross town giants/swans rivalry too

Who would you send packing then?

Remove this Banner Ad

Back