AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel

Remove this Banner Ad

How’s the jury used the ‘ but taylor could’ve been seriously injured’, well why don’t they judge all other bumps like that.
So Merrett gets a week cos a fist to the ribs caused damage, but the other 100 times it happens in the season earn zero scrutiny
Shiel bump does no damage, but could have so 2 weeks.

Why don't they just come out and say "we're giving you two weeks cos we feel like it" and leave it at that.

Farce simple as that, the quality of their excuses for the ban standing are so low and wouldn’t hold up at a real court at all.
Good thing its not a court at all then, its a tribunal with a completely different process and evidentiary standard which makes the comparison irrelevant.

That aside (and not necessarily in response to the quoted comment) its perplexing that the potential to cause injury was used for Shiel and not Rohan and Pickett when they got fined, but more importantly Ebert who got a week. Though the fact the players the former two hit got straight back up likely played in their favour. In the reverse, is what Ben Long did to Darcy only one week worse than Shiel? That doesnt quite gel with me.

Taylor did have to go off for a concussion test, and had to get an scan on his cheek. They wouldnt have done that if he wasnt in pain or the hit didnt have a decent amount of force.

If i had seen only the Shiel hit in a vaccuum, i would have copped two weeks pretty happily, personally. It is a dangerous action when you go past the ball for a bump. It just feels jarring in context of the aforementioned above incidents.

Utter garbage that this is the case the AFL want to die in a ditch for.

Case prior - Smash a guy's head in with concussion - 3 weeks. All other cases judged on outcome of impact, and players chargers downgraded based on technicality.

Here there is no fracture and no concussion, opponents going to play yet it's still high. Even with our previous tribunal shafting, I expected this to be down graded to medium.

Good thing its not a court at all then, its a tribunal with a completely different process and evidentiary standard which makes the comparison irrelevant.

That aside (and not necessarily in response to the quoted comment) its perplexing that the potential to cause injury was used for Shiel and not Rohan and Pickett when they got fined, but more importantly Ebert who got a week. Though the fact the players the former two hit got straight back up likely played in their favour. In the reverse, is what Ben Long did to Darcy only one week worse than Shiel? That doesnt quite gel with me.

Taylor did have to go off for a concussion test, and had to get an scan on his cheek. They wouldnt have done that if he wasnt in pain or the hit didnt have a decent amount of force.

If i had seen only the Shiel hit in a vaccuum, i would have copped two weeks pretty happily, personally. It is a dangerous action when you go past the ball for a bump. It just feels jarring in context of the aforementioned above incidents.
they sent him back on 90s after taking him off.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Just adding to the chorus of jeers

This is a rugby league style decision. Where logic doesn’t apply in any way and you have to assume that the ex players making the decisions have mushy brains from all the head bashing.

Curtis Taylor ironically won’t qualify to work on the tribunal after he retires given he wasn’t concussed.

It’s not the inconsistency that annoys me the most.

It’s the fact that they take the outcome of the bump as a genuine consideration of the verdict.

In what world does that make sense?

You could accidentally clip a blokes chin as you’re going for the ball and it could rip out of the socket and go flying through the goal posts.

Or you could run off the field and collect a chain saw and proceed to hack at a bloke but only manage to cut off his shitty mullet.

The action.
It’s the only thing that matters.
Christ.

I think its a good thing we took it to tribunal. It shows a willingness by the club to fight on all fronts. It also adds to the karma dataset which hopefully will be righted.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back