AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel

Remove this Banner Ad

Echoing a lot of others here, the issue isn't that the 2-match ban stands. I'm actually comfortable that if you bump and make contact with the head - even if it is initially sternum/shoulder and slips up - you should miss games. Blokes shouldn't have to risk long-term brain injury every time they put their head over the ball. The issue is just inconsistency from the AFL. Rohan should be missing weeks. Ben Long should be out for a month (how that hit is worth only a game more than the Shiel hit is beyond me). They tried to introduce consistency with all of the gradings and formula and equations, but in practice things have never been messier.

I'm glad we appealed. If only to make them look as stupid as possible.
Only to us though. Every other clubs supporters will be dancing on our grave and applauding the decision. Until it happens to one of their own, then we will do the dancing. That's the circle of life of an AFL supporter, guilty feet have got no rhythm.

I'm glad it's being acknowledged. I just want consistency now, and I'd expect the media to go hard if it isn't.

I'd also like if our club and players took a few potshots over stuff like this tbh. Don't do the whole "we accept the decision" actually say, we aren't happy being the case the AFL chose to make an example of, we look forward to consistency going forward.
Actually put the pressure on them.

The best bit is that if Christian had waited a day to provide his assessment when the medical results were finalised he would have almost definitely given it medium impact.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Only to us though. Every other clubs supporters will be dancing on our grave and applauding the decision. Until it happens to one of their own, then we will do the dancing. That's the circle of life of an AFL supporter, guilty feet have got no rhythm.
There's plenty of other supporters who will see this as stupid outside of our base. It's just another reminder to many of how contrived these decisions are and the unprofessionalism of the AFL. Shiel is a fair player who hasn't been treated entirely fairly.

Personally i would like a system that is sensible and even handed. It's not about how many weeks he gets it's that it's the same for others. Something balanced between the carelessness/intention of an act and the outcome would be rational. Maybe look at all incidents in a game rather than cherry pick as well. I don't think thats too much to ask for given the millions of dollars the AFL good old old boys club have paid each other over the years.

They will want to be careful as their usual arrogance this year may be the last straw for some. It would be interesting to know what makes a supporter drop their interest in a sport but i bet this sort of thing doesn't help.

Last edited:
The best bit is that if Christian had waited a day to provide his assessment when the medical results were finalised he would have almost definitely given it medium impact.
But would they have? Certainly should have but They had the chance to revise the classification through the appeal process (I assume) and chose not to.

There's plenty of other supporters who will see this as stupid outside of our base. It's just another reminder to many of how contrived these decisions are and the unprofessionalism of the AFL. Shiel is a fair player who hasn't been treated entirely fairly.

Personally i would like a system that is sensible and even handed. It's not about how many weeks he gets it's that it's the same for others. Something balanced between the carelessness/intention of an act and the outcome would be rational. Maybe look at all incidents in a game rather than cherry pick as well. I don't think thats too much to ask for given the millions of dollars the AFL good old old boys club have paid each other over the years.

They will want to be careful as their usual arrogance this year may be the last straw for some. It would be interesting to know what makes a supporter drop their interest in a sport but i bet this sort of thing doesn't help.

I think what annoys people is that so much of the game has a feel to it. You see it all the time, players have been playing this game, there will be a contest and someone will be caught dead holding the ball and players will almost stop and self umpire it, the crowd knows, the players know and yet the umpire blows play on. Then they pull one out a quarter later that catches everyone off guard, its the most infuriating part of our game.

As much as i love bashing Clarko he had a point with rewarding holding the ball more, he didn't mean what the AFL morphed it into across that weekend pinging guys who had no prior or were ridden into the ground over the top of the ball and called for diving on it. He meant reward the tackler, if you wrap a guy up, and they drop the ball or dont get the kick away -none of this "he made an attempt"- pay the free kick. I dont think that is unrealistic, its how we all played growing up.

Same with the tribunal, Shiel collected a guy with a bump to the head, everyone knew he was gone when the guy went off, and every Dons fan would accept 1 week (we maybe hope they get it wrong and he gets a fine, but the right penalty is 1 week). AFL smacks him with 2.
We get annoyed and complain but most of us will accept it and move on expecting that this is the standard going forward, but it probably wont be and in 2,5,7 weeks time someone will do the same thing, get a fine or a week, there will be a bit of media chatter and then we move on. But Shiel will probably be thinking well * me.
These types of decisions do matter, the inconsistency is just another element of "unfairness" in our competition. Rules for certain players, making mid season statements but going to water when its a player who may miss a final. What happens if our coach was in the hot seat and after losing Shiel we lost to Adelaide, the media scrutiny could cost them their job. These are the types of things that flow on from decisions like this so they at the very least have to be consistent.
I can accept this as 2 if that was the standard from the past, they threw that away to make a new one, i will be ok with it if this is the new standard, but I think they have just introduced the potential for more inconsistency because its now they have to guess or go off feel for impact.

Now the goalposts have moved we are going into a guessing game of impact, at the very least they need to start comparing similar actions to use some actual data to back up their decisions.

It took me a second realise it actually was parody/satire...

Also, nice to see another early bird up and about Lore :)
I have very flexible sleep patterns. Being stuck at home helps nothing lol.

I'm glad it's being acknowledged. I just want consistency now, and I'd expect the media to go hard if it isn't.

I'd also like if our club and players took a few potshots over stuff like this tbh. Don't do the whole "we accept the decision" actually say, we aren't happy being the case the AFL chose to make an example of, we look forward to consistency going forward.
Actually put the pressure on them.
Some media are definitely going harder than others about it. I retweeted a few of them this morning.

I think for a lot of people they’re okay with that suspension but like us feel that it was inconsistent based on the established precedent.

Funny time to change the goalposts in the middle of a weekend when there’s been so many high bump reports within those couple of days though. The AFL should have appealed some of the other MRO decisions so that the entire weekend was graded on the same scale, and all by Brad Johnson if need be since apparently he’s the go to guy for this stuff now.

Brad Johnson was on the panel. As in THAT Brad Johnson, the ex-Dogs player that was on FoxFooty as a talking head proclaiming Shiel should’ve had 3-4 weeks for it a couple of days ago.
*lol no he wasn’t. Social media myth/fake news! Trial by media ;)

Last edited:
Brad Johnson was on the panel. As in THAT Brad Johnson, the ex-Dogs player that was on FoxFooty as a talking head proclaiming Shiel should’ve had 3-4 weeks for it a couple of days ago.

Wait what?

Edit: foxfooty lists the jurors as this
Shane Wakelin, David Neitz and Stephen Jurica

Wait what?

Edit: foxfooty lists the jurors as this
Shane Wakelin, David Neitz and Stephen Jurica
You know what it might’ve been, people trying to say trial by media influenced the result. But what they actually said was Johnson was on the tribunal panel. I took them literally after I saw it a couple of times 🤪

Remove this Banner Ad

Back