AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel

Remove this Banner Ad

It wasn't as good as his last game. It was more error-ridden. He can play better. I love that he is in our team.

True it wasn't as good as last week, I felt he had one of those days where it just didn't work but he should bounce back from that and he did seem to say out there for a longer period today than earlier matches.

True it wasn't as good as last week, I felt he had one of those days where it just didn't work but he should bounce back from that and he did seem to say out there for a longer period today than earlier matches.
There was a lot of pressure on him in this game, he will be better for having this experience under his belt.

If he tidied up his DE he’s one of the best players in the comp.

He’s Judd lite with even poorer disposal.

Would be the best midfielder in the league right now if he was a bit more tidy with his disposal. I suspect one issue he has is coming from a team flush with top end first round midfielders he can often handball where he thinks players might / should be . Our blokes are not always good at where they should be positioned.

Shiel may be having one of those periods with his kicking - He was a good kick at GWS, while he's kicking at EFC is just missing the target - It's not like he is shanking his kicks.

I find he just seems to panic and kick it. I don’t think he realises how much space he is in to control it and
Lower his eyes.

If he sorts it out he’ll have the complete game.

Watch around every ball up or when around a loose ground ball and he doesn’t go in. Might be protecting his shoulders and if that’s the case then it annoys me even more.

Anyway...I don’t expect anyone here to even remotely agree with me.

But I’m not about posting comments on here about our players with a half baked opinion. I see it as it is.
He often doesn't go in, but maybe that isn't his role? Good midfields do not all rush in, they have players who are meant to go in and under and the others on the edge either defending or ready to receive and explode. There was maybe two times where there wasn't someone else going in where he should have that I counted, but that could be more of a case of getting used to the role and his team mates.

He had no problem going in at GWS when he needed to.

I understand why you say he is a seagull but I'm pretty confident he is not and once they all gel you may change your mind.

Nah, lost it at the tv when he went to ground with his hands in the air for a free kick with 1.5 mins to go.

They hadnt paid obvious HTB all day, they werent going to give us that.
Besides, in that moment he took the easy option and played for the free kick instead of cracking in for the footy.

He has had a ripping start to the year and was close to our best player yesterday (and the last 3 weeks) but I imagine he would love as second chance at that moment

Last edited:
Could be just stage fright, 25,000 more fans on average will do that
He’s played in front of big crowds in finals before. 94k in the final against Richmond in 2017 (before Cotchin cleaned him up) and last year in the final against Pies, think it was mid 70k in that one. Maybe it’s confirmed now that he chokes in the massive games.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He sprayed a few chances ... but when was the last time we had a player at Essendon who could accumulate it and regularly creates the sort of excitement that Tippa does when he gets that ball in hand? His bursting run really opens up the game. He excites the crowd and can put the opposition under a lot of pressure.

With Saad and McKenna down back, McGrath and Shiel in the middle and Tippa and Fanta up forward we have two players with genuine pace on every line. Though Saad is on another level with that.

There's no issue with his hardness. He goes into contests and wins the ball. He tackles and wins clearances.

The only thing affecting his game is his disposal efficiency by foot and goal kicking. If he fixes that, then he's going to be contending for a brownlow.

I’m still getting my head around that he passed on Hawthorn, who needed another A grade mid, and had to settle for Wingard.
I love how hard Hawk supporters celebrated Wingard. Did well to get Scully but they're putting a lot of faith in he and O'Meara with their injury histories. Good to see O'Meara stringing some games together at least.

From my own experience as an explosive mid back in the day, when you travel at full tilt your mind is often in the pure moment of ‘dash from congestion’ when all of a sudden you’re out in clear space and you realise you have more time than you had and suddenly the pure moment’s gone and you can over-think the next moment of play ahead of you. I’m sure his skills are fine, he just needs to be able to tap into the composure that a Dusty Martin finds once he clears congestion.
I hope the mob can have patience and not resort to the Bronx cheers.

The good far outweighs the bad. Merrett and Hepp and a few others shanked kicks as well. First to the ball at many centre bounces so pretty harsh regarding seagull call.

His kicking will improve, great get for us.

You think Im on a mission to go out of my way to find another Stanton?

He’s got nothing to do with it and you know it.

Anyway...Shiel needs to add more hardness to his game.

That’s all im saying. Forgive me for having an opinion and being disappointed in a high priced recruit.
I agree that he does need to add more hardness to his game. Part of the problem is perception though. He was talked up as the big bodied mid we need and the missing piece to our midfield puzzle but he's not. He follows, receives and distributes. Clayton is our inside mid. Come on over to Tulla Clay Clay.

I am very optimistic regarding Shiel. He's winning tons of ball already and I think as he gains more experience in our team he will end up delivering better to the forward line once he works out how our forwards work, their leading patterns etc.

Don't forget it took quite a while for Smith, Stringer and Saad to really gel in our team as well. I know Smith won the B&F but honestly he was better as the season progressed as well.

I also hate the big bodied wank discussion that goes on. We've actually performed very well in clearances throughout the entire last month including ANZAC day. We also rank highly at scoring from clearances as well. Its far less of a problem than people make it out to be.

Lol this article.

Is new Bomber the AFLs Turnover King?
Short answer: No.
Slightly longer answer: Gaff and O'Meara are.

🤣

Gaff's 11 turnovers in round six were more than anyone else, and he is averaging a competition-high 8.5 across his four matches since returning from suspension.

O'Meara, his club's No.1 midfielder in Brownlow medallist Tom Mitchell's absence, had eight of his own among a personal-best 43 possessions in Hawthorn's come-from-behind victory over Carlton on Sunday.

That gave him a whopping 35 in his five matches this year, at an average only Gaff surpasses.

Screen Shot 2019-05-01 at 11.59.03 am.png

O'Meara concedes easily the fewest points of the trio from his turnovers, yet commits the most unforced giveaways, so his is an interesting set of numbers to digest.

Gaff, who has played one fewer game than O'Meara and two fewer than Shiel, is on track at this stage to overtake Shiel in the unwanted category of points conceded from turnovers.
https://www.afl.com.au/news/2019-04-30/stats-files-is-new-bomber-the-afls-turnover-king

Just needs to slow down and balance before kicking, everything he does is at 100mph at the moment.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back