AFL Player # 9: Dylan Shiel

Remove this Banner Ad

The truth lies somewhere in between. He’s not a massive disappointment because he brings to our side what no player has brought in a long time. Genuine line-breaking ability. His output however isn’t to the expected level either. We paid premium price for an elite player. We haven't received the return thus far.

Perhaps the most disappointing part is his goal kicking. It's become a big problem the last year and a half. He needs to think more instead of blazing it all the time.

He kicked 6 goals 14 behinds last year and 4 goals 11 this year.

That's 10 goals and 25 behinds in a year and a half. Also seems to miss them at crucial times as well. Needs to lift big time in that area.

His kicking around the ground is ok, but it becomes problematic when he kicks inside 50. Contributes to our ineffectiveness going forward. I wish he looked at Walla and Merrett to see how they kick inside 50.

Anyway, he has the ability to become an elite player so no reason to give up. Hopefully that time comes soon.

Dylan Shiel is a jet. He’s never been a goal kicking midfielder, and more importantly wasn’t recruited as one but now he’s in the sash, it becomes a negative? Go figure. Ask yourself if we’re a better side with Dylan or without? If it’s the former, be thankful he’s playing for us. If not, you’ll never be satisfied no matter the circumstance.

His kicks on either foot between 15-30 metres are generally spot on. Have a feeling he changes his ball drop a bit too much when he's going for more distance + he's usually going at full Travis Colyers which can lead to the weird floaters. Think he just has to be a bit smarter about how he uses the ball for the moment.

Dylan Shiel is a jet. He’s never been a goal kicking midfielder, and more importantly wasn’t recruited as one but now he’s in the sash, it becomes a negative? Go figure. Ask yourself if we’re a better side with Dylan or without? If it’s the former, be thankful he’s playing for us. If not, you’ll never be satisfied no matter the circumstance.

To be fair, he kicks goals when he's played midfield minutes (2016 [13], 2017[12])

Ah yes. Criticising a part of his game means delist/trade? What does being a jet mean? Running fast? His delivery inside 50 and kicking for goal ruins our momentum. He is a good player, but he needs to fix that part of his game to be an elite player. A good player gets you to scrape past opponents. An elite player wins you premierships.

Averaging less than a goal a game over two years, I don’t call that a goal kicking midfielder. Just my opinion.

I think you may need to re-calibrate your expectations. In the entire comp last year there was I believe 4 guys that averaged 20 touches and 1 goal a game. Two of them being Dangerfield and Martin, I believe a 3rd was Wingard who started forward and then moved into the midfield and I forget who the 4th was. I don't think even Bontempelli made the cut despite playing enough time forward to get classed as a forward/mid in supercoach.

If you're averaging upper 20s to 30+ touches a game then anything above 0.5 goals per game is probably a goal kicking midfielder.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I’d rather have Dylan Shiel on my team, than not. If anyone is of the opposite opinion, no problem. The fault as I see it is ‘expectation’. Essendon were we’ll over rated at the start of the year, they were never going to be a top 4 side and likely finish with a full healthy list was 5-8. Shiel, alone wasn’t going to propel Essendon into premiership calculations, as so many thought. With injuries, we’re bottom eight, maybe. Without Shiel we’re 10 - 13.

Shiel would be 100% less frustrating to behold if it wasn't the basics that were going astray at times. He's not an awful user of the ball but missing open targets looks shocking and if those targets are streaming towards open goals, it exacerbates the severity of the problem. It's probably a mental issue, he makes good kicks more often than not but the shanks to easy targets are ruining his reputation.

Ah yes. Criticising a part of his game means delist/trade? What does being a jet mean? Running fast? His delivery inside 50 and kicking for goal ruins our momentum. He is a good player, but he needs to fix that part of his game to be an elite player. A good player gets you to scrape past opponents. An elite player wins you premierships.
I’m surprised someone with 9000+ posts doesn’t understand what a ‘jet’ is in today’s footy vernacular? I’m not asking you to agree with me, in fact I could care less. We’re all entitled to an opinion. Yes we’d love to see every player make zero mistakes, hit every target, choose every right option and kick every goal regardless of the pressure or circumstance of the moment. However it just like me wanting to win lotto every week; I want my numbers to come up but in reality, it’s not going to happen. Further, I’m trying to think of the last premiership side who had just the one elite player? Nup, can’t think of one.

29 disposals (team high), 557 metres gained (team high) 7 score involvements (game high), 9 tackles (game high, more than double anyone else), 23 pressure acts (team 3rd), 5 clearances (team 2nd).

A few off kicks, but I honestly can't believe people are calling the bloke average or questioning his game. Will get votes, without him we lose.

Don’t think I ever believed he was an elite kick and I’m certainly not disappointed with his output so far. Has been easily in our best players most games he’s played. Certainly let’s the team down with goal kicking and missing targets sometimes, very frustrating but all players do it. Judd, Fyfe, Dangerfield were/are not the best kicks getting around, but are all elite in their own right. Sheil doesn’t have the strength/power of those players, so would need to increase his goal kicking/kicking efficiency to really be considered amongst the elite but he is really not that far off the top players in the competition.

An elite player wins you premierships.

Dumb comment. So like, you’d only rate him if we were looking like winning the flag? And it’s all the doing of one player?

Dumb comment. So like, you’d only rate him if we were looking like winning the flag? And it’s all the doing of one player?
Of course I rate him. When did I say I didn’t? I’m saying he won’t be elite unless he fixes those areas. If he fixed those areas, then I say we have a genuine game changer that can push us to the 3-6 mark instead of 7-11. That’s the difference between premiership contention and middling.

I think he can turn it around and become the elite player we hope he becomes. He needs to take more time instead of rushing his disposals, particularly going inside 50 and going for goal.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back