Retired 9. Jack Steven (2020 -2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

Jack is living the dream on and off the field. He’s a hero to all the fat bastards sitting at home drinking rum and coke cans

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

The naysayers here will end up coming back and saying "I was wrong"
But that simple post won't make up for all the rubbish posts that preceded it.

Parfitt has been unfit for how long?
And now he's apparently fit.

What's the impact exactly?

Steven might be 18th picked right now. And fair enough.

he is not unfit. You don't chase hard when you are unfit.
No one does.

No one does.
I might end up coming back in 8 weeks and saying I was wrong.
But he wasn't fit on Thursday night.
He was buggered.

He cost us bugger all to get here so anything he does is gravy, HOWEVER at his current form he's simply holding a spot in the 22 for a kid who has a brighter future, Constable for example.
He'll improve, no doubt, but I am wary on how long that's going to take.
The only one getting gravy is steven. By the bucketful, no doubt mixed with lard.

No one does.
Why should he be allowed to stroll into our team when he cbf even getting into shape.

Talent is not the issue. If he had turned out to Collingwood or Richmond in that shape he would be sent straight to the seconds.

As a club that is starting to gain a reputation as soft, it certainly doesn't help perceptions when our youngsters have to wait there turn so this bloke can gain some sort of fitness in the AFL team.

No one does.

He's not chasing or running hard Tony.

He can't. He just isn't fit, and isn't showing any sign of improvement.

And when he has the ball in hand he's either lost, or butchers it.

My problem with playing Steven right now is we don't have a strong enough list to carry a player trying to get physically fit and find good touch,we need contributions from the entire 22 to ease the burden on our match winners and that rarely happens simple because it's a tough game and you have to expect early injuries and all players can at some time have a down day.Right now we need to be picking best 22 and fitness should be a huge consideration in that .We are nobbling ourselves anytime we pick an unfit player.

Ok, chaps.
Let's discuss in 6 weeks or so shall we?

I can't remember who the poster was that used to highlight players to show effort.
And if I did I wouldn't want them to ask them to waste an hour highlighting where Steven came from to chase hard.

I was watching him.
You'll all go quiet soon enough.

But even then, he isn't the issue. It's defence. Stewart was ordinary early days this year. Blicavs is playing on strange opponents.
Kolo is... Well kolo. 2e lacks run due to poor defensive setups.

O'connor is the one standing up.

And all that being said, the pies were too good.
I said it two weeks ago. Our season will be decided on what happens in W.a

Ok, chaps.

I can't remember who the poster was that used to highlight players to show effort.
And if I did I wouldn't want them to ask them to waste an hour highlighting where Steven came from to chase hard.

I was watching him.

But even then, he isn't the issue. It's defence. Stewart was ordinary early days this year. Blicavs is playing on strange opponents.

Happy to re-visit this in 6 weeks, and truly hope it's to say 'I was wrong'.

But as it stands right now, I doubt I'm the only one who's struggling to see a modicum of improvement in his fitness over the last few weeks, or his ball skills. He's been woeful.

And yes, he's not the sole problem right now, but he's part of it. He's bringing nothing to the team right now. He's being gifted games in the hope he'll do something later on, but it leaves us a man down in the meantime.

Also agree that Collingwood deserved to win. They played much better than us.

Ok, chaps.

I was watching him.

Mate, he chased hard once and was f**ked.
He ran to get on the end of a Miers kick and was f**ked.
Big Deal! It's not 1980. That's what's expected! Many , Many times per game.
Players are meant to run all game. That's footy now.
I guarentee I don't like being an athelete being a part of footy more than you. I hate it! But it's the way it is.
Once he's fit enough his touch will come. You wait and see.
He won't be too stuffed to pick up the ball and use it properly.
And For F**k Sake, What is the point of your f**king posts??????????????
Let's say what happens in 6 weeks????
That's what you said.
Your just admitting he's f**king unfit.
Why even bother? Spare me.

Last edited:
Happy to re-visit this in 6 weeks, and truly hope it's to say 'I was wrong'.

But as it stands right now, I doubt I'm the only one who's struggling to see a modicum of improvement in his fitness over the last few weeks, or his ball skills. He's been woeful.

And yes, he's not the sole problem right now, but he's part of it. He's bringing nothing to the team right now. He's being gifted games in the hope he'll do something later on, but it leaves us a man down in the meantime.

Also agree that Collingwood deserved to win. They played much better than us.
Even if he's playing good footy in 6 weeks how does that make you wrong,he could be getting fit without taking a spot gameday, do all the drills and get klm into the legs running,he has a dozen seasons of footy and 4 BF under his belt he's not learning the game.If Steven comes good it will be because his fitness levels have increased,we are spending maybe the best part of a season on a wing and a prayer playing him to the detriment of the team when it's not necessary and by doing so missing an opportunity to develop a kid in the position he's taking up.
Players of his calibre only need a game or two to find touch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Mate, he chased hard once and was f**ked.
He ran to get on the end of a Miers kick and was f**ked.
Big Deal! It's not 1980. That's what's expected! Many , Many times per game.
Players are meant to run all game. That's footy now.
I guarentee I don't like being an athelete being a part of footy more than you. I hate it! But it's the way it is.
Once he's fit enough his touch will come. You wait and see.
He won't be too stuffed to pick up the ball and use it properly.
And For F**k Sake, What is the point of your f**king posts??????????????
Let's say what happens in 6 weeks????
That's what you said.
Your just admitting he's f**king unfit.
Why even bother? Spare me.
No I'm not admitting he's unfit.
I'm suggesting 6 weeks because it might take him that long in finding his groove as to where to be to do damage.
Even Gazza said it took him a year to work us out after he came back.

The 6 weeks will also offer the opportunity for either some to see his defensive efforts or for me to be completely wrong.

I think many expected him to hopefully replace Kelly. He obviously only delivers about 40% of what Kelly did right now. I hope he can get that up to 70%. On possessions he's probably higher than 40%. But in effectiveness he's not.
I understand that.

And then of course, the board does need a whipping boy. I understand that too.

I'm suggesting 6 weeks because it might take him that long in finding his groove as to where to be to do damage.

The 6 weeks will also offer the opportunity for either some to see his defensive efforts or for me to be completely wrong.

I think many expected him to hopefully replace Kelly. He obviously only delivers about 40% of what Kelly did right now. I hope he can get that up to 70%. On possessions he's probably higher than 40%. But in effectiveness he's not.
I understand that.

Yeah, a bit over the top last night. Sorry bout that.

catempire
Do you still have the ability to search how far people ran?
I'm not a Telstra mobile customer.

I wouldn't mind a list if you do. I know a few ran over 13k.
Not sure I actually like miers being the top runner either. Sit in the pocket sunshine.

I understand that.

I manage to watch most of game on replay, up to Q4. Steven wasn't that bad. Albeit restricted by the camera angles, I only once when he seemed to be late getting back to the D50. Next to him jogging back, way late, was GAJ. Maybe a wider angle would show more, but whenever he was on screen he was going for it, as hard or harder than any on the team.
I agree that not only is he getting his body into game fitness, but also his game-mind. Long time out, into a completely new system...tough call on using him now and writing him off for the year(which we would be if we only played him in the scratch matches). Like Sav, I'd let him play while looking for the payoff later in the season.
I also think with this hub on a hard surface, they can manage players and play some of those kids. But looking strategically, Steven has shown improvement each game. Play him until he goes backward.

Yeah, a bit over the top last night. Sorry bout that.
spazz got to spazz, man
images

:D

Re Steven - i havent liked his fitness levels - and i havent liked his prior games whatsoever

However against Coll ( which was a high pressure game ) i thought there was a glint of hope - effort was good - he tried very hard for Geelong

Lets see how he goes against Freo

Re Steven - i havent liked his fitness levels - and i havent liked his prior games whatsoever

However against Coll ( which was a high pressure game ) i thought there was a glint of hope - effort was good - he tried very hard for Geelong

Lets see how he goes against Freo
Good to see you're still here mate.
I was worried after the call from Vdubs for you to show a presence at the ground that you were the streaker that copped the $50k fine.

And Spearman well articulated mate.

I support Tony B. About time some posters looked at the stats. Jack laid more tackles inside50 than rest of team combined - ,was 5th for metres gained,was 3rd for stoppage clearances, and 5th for effective disposals. Shows why we got him and shows up many of his fitter teammates

Remove this Banner Ad

Back