Retired 9. Jack Steven (2020 -2021)

Remove this Banner Ad

I need to be honest here - I have had very little incentive to watch St K over the last 5-6 years so I have hardly seen Steven play.

With this in mind, can someone answer this: Is Jack Steven actually any good? Or is he just a “good stats in a bad team” guy? This is an honest question.

Thanks in advance.
Polled 18 Brownlow votes in 2018 in a team that recorded only four wins. Even unfit he kicked three goals as a forward pocket against Fremantle late this year. His best is very good.

I need to be honest here - I have had very little incentive to watch St K over the last 5-6 years so I have hardly seen Steven play.

With this in mind, can someone answer this: Is Jack Steven actually any good? Or is he just a “good stats in a bad team” guy? This is an honest question.

Thanks in advance.
Same. From what I have seen I liken him to a poor mans Dangerfield.

Thanks in advance.

He's a gun. Explosive speed, breakaway centre clearances, deceptively strong and could play as a genuine small forward.

I reckon he's been in the best 20-30 mids in the comp for the last few years, aside from his 2019 season.

Here's some footage from his 2018 B&F season. The pace and flair is only matched by Danger in our midfield at the moment (Narkle may get there one day).

Further to that, Mark Robinson ranked him #35 in his 50 best players list only 12 months ago - ahead of the likes of Shuey and Cunnington.

If he gets anything close to back to his best we have one of the biggest trade steals in recent memory.

if he gets fit, you're gonna love him. Can shank it, but absolutely makes up for it with his explosiveness and forward nous. Been by far our best player for years while copping the tag and doing all the heavy lifting, so will be nice to see how he fairs with a bit more class around him. Would love to see him winning finals, so good luck (you bastards!)

Blimey if he lives up to this endorsement Wells has really aced the trade period.

Ultimately he has always been an A grade midfielder. He just needed to get settled and happy within himself. His best chance of that is to be around his family and down the coast playing for the Cats. I am certain he will give it his best shot. If it works out it is a great story all round, and I think he will actually help the development of Narkle, Constable, etc rather than hinder it. I hope we all get around him, and if he has a few up and downs back him in. Go Jack.

Thanks in advance.
He's won 4 best & fairests at the Saints, so I think that means he's a pretty good player,

Further to that, Mark Robinson ranked him #35 in his 50 best players list only 12 months ago - ahead of the likes of Shuey and Cunnington.

If he gets anything close to back to his best we have one of the biggest trade steals in recent memory.

And when you look at the recent history of our "steals", we really have not had any success - unlike say the Hawks that seem to have been kissed on the dick every time.

Perhaps with Steven and Jenkins, our luck will change.

Go Catters

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Back home for goodness sake he was only living in Melbourne. Or perhaps St Kilda flew him in from some os destination every week.

It's Lorne...lol. It's the equivalent of driving Melbourne to Bendigo each day. Not a short trip, and basically a completely different jurisdiction

Last edited:
Back home for goodness sake he was only living in Melbourne. Or perhaps St Kilda flew him in from some os destination every week.

Maybe it's also the idea of having family much closer, easier to visit them or for them to visit him than when Steven was living in Melbourne

When living in Melbourne it would have been a 4hr round trip if he wanted to go home home at all - so not always an option

Dahlhaus said something similar last year after being traded and how just being closer to family, in familiar surroundings etc had taken a weight off his shoulders, helped him feel more settled and in a better place

It's Lorne...lol. It's the equivalent of driving Melbourne to Bendigo each day. Not a short trip, and basically a completely jurisdiction
I hate driving to melb ....if I had to do it everyday for work I would seriously quit

* that

He's a gun. Explosive speed, breakaway centre clearances, deceptively strong and could play as a genuine small forward.

I reckon he's been in the best 20-30 mids in the comp for the last few years, aside from his 2019 season.

Here's some footage from his 2018 B&F season. The pace and flair is only matched by Danger in our midfield at the moment (Narkle may get there one day).

WOW! I did not realize how good a forward he was. Him on one flank pushing up to the mids when he's not playing in the center, Ablett on the other...holy hell. Getting more and more excited by the day. Always liked Jack as a person, but I think people (myself included) forget how just good he was/is. Thanks for sharing that, was an absolute joy to watch

Based on Steven's inclusion (and the hype building), decided to make a team based on 'speed' and see what it looked like. Not too shabby if I don't say so myself:

B: Bews, Blics, O'Connor
HB: Stewart, Henry, Tuohy
C: Parfitt, Duncan, Clark
FO: Stanley, Danger, Steven
HF: Dahl, Kreuger, Cockatoo
F: Rohan, Rata, Miers
INT: Atkins, Narkle, Guthrie, ? - Draftee with pace like Lachie Ash or Dylan Stephens?

Notable omissions: Selwood, Ablett, Taylor, Hawkins, Kolo

Funnily enough, this is probably what our 2021 team looks like (minus Tuohy and Stanley). Seems like we're slowly (excuse the pun) moving in the right direction!

Last edited:

The thing that stands out is the longer his hair got the more out of shape he became. It's like a timeline of his mental health.

probably could do with a shave ... His look makes me think of the guy who killed Maximus Decimus Meridius

View attachment 765748

Meridius? Mate, there's only been ONE Maximus, and He too had a beard.

max2_400x400.jpg

Remove this Banner Ad

Back