Certified Legendary Thread Jack Trengove

Remove this Banner Ad

I don't know, I think it's a little demeaning to take him on road trips just so he can feel part of the team he's probably never going to play for again. It really is like he's a mascot now. I'd be embarrassed to have a role like that. By all means give him a role in the footy department though.

I don't think so.

He's still a very good footballer - he goes and gets 30 touches a game in the VFL and lays 6 or 7 tackles every week.

It's just his speed, vertical leap and kicking distance which is not AFL standard anymore.

He would not embarrass himself in the senior side by any means, so I don't see why having him as a travelling emergency is demeaning whatsoever.

Can he do what AVB has done up forward ie apply pressure? He's always loved laying tackles and his marking is very good for his size, similar to Bartel. I know he's lost pace but Vanders isn't quick either.

Can he do what AVB has done up forward ie apply pressure? He's always loved laying tackles and his marking is very good for his size, similar to Bartel. I know he's lost pace but Vanders isn't quick either.

His marking was good, he has no power in his leap anymore so he can't mark as well

His marking was good, he has no power in his leap anymore so he can't mark as well
Ah I see, tough decision to make at the end of the year then. I personally really want us to persist with Jack as he's been desparately unlucky but definitely radiates the Demon spirit. After a full preseason and a full season of VFL some of his pace might return and he might develop the confidence tofly for marks like he used to be able to.

Ah I see, tough decision to make at the end of the year then. I personally really want us to persist with Jack as he's been desparately unlucky but definitely radiates the Demon spirit. After a full preseason and a full season of VFL some of his pace might return and he might develop the confidence tofly for marks like he used to be able to.

If he doesn't break into the side and become a regularly good senior player by the end of the year then he has to go.

He had shocking injuries yes, but there's no room for sentiment now. I already struggle to build our first 22, and there's loads of fringe guys like Harmes, AVB, Kennedy, etc. that have shown a lot and I'd prefer to keep on our list over Trenners.

There's a full 22-game season to play out in front of us, so a lot could change...

If he doesn't break into the side and become a regularly good senior player by the end of the year then he has to go.

He had shocking injuries yes, but there's no room for sentiment now. I already struggle to build our first 22, and there's loads of fringe guys like Harmes, AVB, Kennedy, etc. that have shown a lot and I'd prefer to keep on our list over Trenners.

There's a full 22-game season to play out in front of us, so a lot could change...
This is the key sentence. Even if he spends the first 11 or 12 weeks in the VFL just working on his athleticism, that's still plenty of time to be considered and selected. Jetta would be living the quiet life in WA if he hadn't pulled one out the bag in round 23 2013.

This is the key sentence. Even if he spends the first 11 or 12 weeks in the VFL just working on his athleticism, that's still plenty of time to be considered and selected. Jetta would be living the quiet life in WA if he hadn't pulled one out the bag in round 23 2013.

I don't mean to shoot Bambi but if after a full preseason he still doesn't have any power, he'll never get it back.

I don't mean to shoot Bambi but if after a full preseason he still doesn't have any power, he'll never get it back.
Can't agree. Nothing beats playing competitive football. This was his first pre-season since 2013.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Daniel Menzel looked fine when he made it back into the Geelong side. Trenners is stuffed
Not a particularly scientific or valid way at looking at things. Menzel is a freak athlete, he and his brother were both born explosive athletes. Trengove has never been that, and relied more on his aerobic capacity than anything else when he was playing regularly.

He'll never be a big jumper or particularly quick, but the club needs to have faith in him becoming super fit and strong through the upper body. If they do, he could become a really good option for us - even if he's never a top line midfielder in the mould of Viney or Oliver.

He'll never be a big jumper or particularly quick, but the club needs to have faith in him becoming super fit and strong through the upper body. If they do, he could become a really good option for us - even if he's never a top line midfielder in the mould of Viney or Oliver.

I see him battling with guys like Harmes, Bugg, AVB and ANB as midfielder/utility types who make up spots 20-22 in our team. Our on-ball and wing brigade is really solidifying now, so we need guys who can offer more. Trenners could fit that role, but we'll have to wait and see.

I'd love for this to be a year where guys like Garland, Trenners and Pedersen all shine.

Not a particularly scientific or valid way at looking at things. Menzel is a freak athlete, he and his brother were both born explosive athletes. Trengove has never been that, and relied more on his aerobic capacity than anything else when he was playing regularly.

Mate I love trenners and in his early days I thought he was gonna be anything, but he's cooked
He's as slow as a ruck man now and doesnt cover ground anymore and doesn't have any power in his movement or jumping meaning he ain't taking the marks he used to
He's basically Brock McLean version 2 now.
He's behind AVB, Bugg, Kennedy, Brayshaw and Trac as blokes who aren't getting full midfield minutes, he's too slow to play as a forward and without his marking he can't play in defence. Id be shocked if he isn't gone at the end of the year.

The Menzel comparison was due to the fact that despite 3 or 4 knee reconstructions Menzel got his athleticism back the same year whilst everyone keeps pleading time with Trenners

Mate I love trenners and in his early days I thought he was gonna be anything, but he's cooked
He's as slow as a ruck man now and doesnt cover ground anymore and doesn't have any power in his movement or jumping meaning he ain't taking the marks he used to
He's behind AVB, Bugg, Kennedy, Brayshaw and Trac as blokes who aren't getting full midfield minutes, he's too slow to play as a forward and without his marking he can't play in defence. Id be shocked if he isn't gone at the end of the year.

The Menzel comparison was due to the fact that despite 3 or 4 knee reconstructions Menzel got his athleticism back the same year whilst everyone keeps pleading time with Trenners
I don't think you appreciate that every player has a different body, and every injury effects the body in a different way.

There's no real comparison for Trengove, because Croad and Egan had to retire from the injury he's had.

I just don't think we should give up on him. Having faith and belief in a guy can do a lot. I'm not saying he will make it, but he's a pick two who can take strong marks, win clearances, and kick goals. He's a match winner. He's not some half-talented grafter ala Bugg, Kennedy or Harmes. He's too talented to give up on. I'd like to see him on the rookie list in 2018 at the very least.

I don't think you appreciate that every player has a different body, and every injury effects the body in a different way.

There's no real comparison for Trengove, because Croad and Egan had to retire from the injury he's had.

I just don't think we should give up on him. Having faith and belief in a guy can do a lot. I'm not saying he will make it, but he's a pick two who can take strong marks, win clearances, and kick goals. He's a match winner. He's not some half-talented grafter ala Bugg, Kennedy or Harmes. He's too talented to give up on. I'd like to see him on the rookie list in 2018 at the very least.

Sure, but at this stage Harmes is a better player than Trenners and I don't see that changing. Would love to be wrong

Sure, but at this stage Harmes is a better player than Trenners and I don't see that changing. Would love to be wrong
You're probably right - but have to remember that we haven't really seen him at all this year so what he is and isn't is a bit up in the air.

Despite his not playing, I'm inclined to think that his being taken to WA is a promising sign. I doubt Goodwin is a sentimental type who invests in meaningless gestures (particularly one as cruel as including someone without any intention of playing them then or ever again). So you would have to think that there is some actual reason that the coaches regard him as on the cusp.

I'm assuming that there is reason to at least hope he can return to AFL level and be of use in some capacity, even if he doesn't fulfil original expectations.

I really don't think Harmes is better than Trengove. He's quicker, so he's more effective while Trenners is still on a first year tank, but when it comes to winning clearances, or tackling, or marking, or kicking goals - Trengove is still much better.

I see him battling with guys like Harmes, Bugg, AVB and ANB as midfielder/utility types who make up spots 20-22 in our team. Our on-ball and wing brigade is really solidifying now, so we need guys who can offer more. Trenners could fit that role, but we'll have to wait and see.

I'd love for this to be a year where guys like Garland, Trenners and Pedersen all shine.

Everybody's so keen to point out JT's deficiencies, as if that's all that needs to be discussed.

Compared to the above players, he's by far the most likely to be in the right place at the right time at a crucial part of the game, and to make the right decision or kick the crunch goal. He'll also bring other players into the game. If Trengove's "still got it", that's the "it" that he's "got" - pure footy IQ. He's way ahead of any of the other fringe players, and probably right up near the top of our list, for "smarts".

The problem is, this can only be tested in matches. The others have been given every opportunity in the preseason to show their stuff, playing in every game for which they've been fit, and have been given good minutes in the midfield during the games instead of being stuck on the HFF. But in the most important pre-season of his career, the JLT was the ideal chance for him to show his stuff, and JT has been given zero chance, and he was emergency every time.

Remains to be seen whether they play him as a mid or as a flanker for Casey.

I really don't think Harmes is better than Trengove. He's quicker, so he's more effective while Trenners is still on a first year tank, but when it comes to winning clearances, or tackling, or marking, or kicking goals - Trengove is still much better.

Agree to disagree but what your mentioning is the old Trenners who I don't think has the body to match the mind at AFL level anymore

That's the issue though. It doesn't matter how good Trenners is at "winning clearances, or tackling, or marking, or kicking goals" if he can't get near it. He has lost all his pace.

Anyway, I hope he can come good, but it doesn't look promising.

I don't want to be, but unfortunately I'm with Topkent on this.

The Brock McLean of 2017 is a pretty good comparison actually.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back