Senior 9. Jack Trengove

demondude

All Australian
Apr 13, 2006
melb
AFL Club
Melbourne
Re: Trengove

Thought his effort was there, his tacking pressure was great. Although it seemed on many occasions Hawthorn had us outnumbered in a contested scenario or on the rebound and he was the man chasing.

People are definitely overeacting about his game tonight. 10 touches is very low but not as low as you might think given our style of play and that he was barely in the midfield.

rhaz

Cancelled
Jun 30, 2008
AFL Club
Melbourne

People are definitely overeacting about his game tonight. 10 touches is very low but not as low as you might think given our style of play and that he was barely in the midfield.

It's about his whole season though. 7 games and he hasn't fired a shot. I guess im just curious as to what is it... is it being unhealthy, the captaincy, 3rd year blues, the team as a whole ?

Demon 16

Brownlow Medallist
Jun 25, 2009
Melbourne
AFL Club
Melbourne

Given our lack of other quality mids and the fact hes now in year 3 means hes getting better oponents who are checking him tighter.

Im not too worried to be honest although Id like to see him shed 4 or 5 kgs.

Andy_Mac

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 24, 2009
Torquay
AFL Club
Melbourne

The training load put through these boys this year was insane, particularly given the base they came from. Treners like many others really struggled with the load. Where as Jones, who we know has always been a good endurance athlete has thrived. Why? Luck or because he had a decent base to start with? I think the later. Even Morton seems to have lifted, he too is a good endurance runner.

Treners will be elite; I’m not worried in the slightest. In fact seeing him struggle actually gives me hope that guys like Blease, Gysberts et. al. will actually get there once they catch up.

Its hard to run and spread when 3 mins into the warm up you already feel like you're running in quick sand.

mark73

Brownlow Medallist
Aug 12, 2005
Seaside
AFL Club
North Melbourne

I feel his year so far deserves his own thread...

Last year he looked exactly like the player we thought he was going to be, but this year is something different entirely. Why? Is it his body? Is it the captaincy?

He looks slow, both in terms of top speed and acceleration. Gets run down by opponents so often that it stuffs his disposal.

Last year he was taking lots of grabs, quite a few beautys in the air. This year none.

And that kick for goal from 30m out tonight that didn't even make the distance, well...

Whats up Trenners?
He's been given the captaincy. All of a sudden he's got to start thinking about other things. But he'll come good. I actually think Melbourne have dodged a bullet in hanging on to Trengove and losing Scully. Trengove has a lot more s**t about him and that's part of what makes good teams into better teams. Once Melbourne get their s**t together you'll see what I'm talking about.

I'm not a medical expert but he's showing symptoms of OP - slow as a wet week & can't kick over a jam tin.

He is slow at the moment but was never a big kick. Some guys can just casually boot the ball 50 but for Trengove it has always looked like every long kick is a big effort.

He's also coming off a limited preseason.
This.

I have heard a rumnor that he has been carrying a groin injury for most of the year. Might be why he hasn't played in the midfield much

He is slow at the moment but was never a big kick. Some guys can just casually boot the ball 50 but for Trengove it has always looked like every long kick is a big effort.

He's always been a pretty easy 50 metre kick though, I'm definitely worried he's carrying something.

MFC: I’ll continue to grow as a captain: Trengove

THE YOUNGEST skipper in VFL/AFL history, Jack Trengove has acknowledged that assuming the captaincy had been a “massive challenge” in just his third listed season, but he says the benefits have been integral to his game.

Trengove was appointed at the start of the year alongside Jack Grimes as Melbourne co-captains. In the process, Trengove secured his place in the game’s records, being handed the captaincy at just the tender age of 20.

But he said that what he learned in 2012 will only help him over what should be a decade-plus career in the AFL...

MFC: Pre-season update: Viney to Clark

9. Jack Trengove
Unfortunately, Jack hurt his foot a couple of weeks ago, but prior to that was going strongly. He showed really good leadership throughout the pre-season period, but due to his injury, Jack will be out for up to eight to 10 weeks.

Brian Royal

MFC: Round one the goal: Trengove
Jack Trengove has one simple aim for the rest of the pre-season: to be fit for Melbourne’s first round against Port Adelaide at the MCG on Sunday, March 31.

But the hard work clearly continues for the co-captain, who suffered a stress fracture in his left foot pre-Christmas.

“My main goal now is to get ready for round one,” he told melbournefc.com.au.

“I’ve just got to make sure I’m doing everything right in the next couple of months to give myself every opportunity to be right for the start of the season.

''My sole focus going into the season last year was to nail all the team aspects, because I was co-captain of the club and I needed to be seen to be leading the way in all those things,'' the 21-year-old said.
''And that was a good thing, but as a result it probably did impact on my own natural flair in a way - that sort of went out of my game a little bit.
''So at the end of the season I sat back and thought, 'well, the main reason why I'm in the position I'm in [co-captain] is because of that flair. So, if I lose that, then that can really have a huge effect'.
''Finding that flair again is going to be really important for me this season.''

This is a great read.

Detail of how the responsibility of captaincy on the young shoulders of a very honest and team oriented footballer can have an effect. If JT didn't have some sort of physical niggle throughout last year I'd be surprised but it makes sense as to why his style of play changed a little in 2012.

He certainly needs to relax a little more and do the instinctive things and with the peace of mind of a better leadership group hopefully he can regain that "x-factor"as he calls it. He is still one of our most important players. It's no surprise though that he played more of a selfless style of footy last year and ran himself out too much such is his character.

Also the comments about the new learning processes and the complete team "buy in" explains a few things about last year and where we are headed.

HUN: Melbourne co-captain Jack Trengove faces biggest test

MELBOURNE co-captain Jack Trengove will find out tomorrow whether the rehabilitation he hopes has been timed to the minute for Round 1 remains on track.

Trengove said:
"The way we have worked the training program is that I'd be ready to go round one. Obviously there's a few boxes I have to tick."

"There's this weekend playing my first trial game for the season. It'll all depend on how I go in that game.

"I'm feeling really fit and ready to go, and hopefully I can have a big year myself."

Comments in the Channel 7 telecast of the QB game on the weekend that Cameron Ling was mentoring young Trengove. Happy to hear that he's getting some quality support.

Now can we get Ling down to Melbourne on a more permanent basis please?

Back