Delisted #9 Jackson Hately (Pick 14, 2018 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

PICK 14 JACKSON HATELY
2018-HATELY-Jackson.jpg

PLAYER BIO
Former club:Central District
Height:189cm
Weight:80kg
Position:Midfielder
2018 U18 STATS
Games:4
Goals:1
Avg Kicks:11.8
Avg Marks:4
Avg Hballs:10.8
Talented midfielder who excels at stoppages and is extremely versatile.
Strong contested ball-winner and can impact on the scoreboard.
One of the stars for South Australia across the NAB AFL Under-18 Championships, winning All Australian honours.
Already played very well for Central Districts at senior level this year.
Has the running capacity to make repeat efforts and works hard both ways. School captain at Trinity Grammar.

Home-Town Hately to Debut in Canberra
Alison Zell
Apr 18, 2019 6:23PM

TEAM: Round 5 v Dockers
All the team selection news ahead of the round 5 clash with the Fremantle Dockers at UNSW Canberra Oval.
He’s played some good footy at NEAFL level, he’s been knocking the door down, he’ll come in and he’ll play in the midfield - he’ll play an inside and an outside role, he’s got that capability​
GIANTS Coach Leon Cameron on Jackson Hately

Hately's Canberra Connection

The GIANTS’ second selection in last year’s draft - Jackson Hately - will make his AFL debut in the nation’s capital when the GIANTS take on Fremantle at UNSW Canberra Oval on Saturday afternoon.
The 18-year-old, who was born in Canberra before moving to Adelaide, becomes the 93rd GIANT and comes into the team for co-captain Callan Ward who will miss the remainder of the season with a knee injury.

GIANTS coach Leon Cameron said Hately, who was knocking down the door for a round one spot before a bout of tonsillitis, thoroughly deserved his selection.
“It’s always pleasing to have a first-gamer,” Cameron said.
“We all know the impact it has on a footy club and it’s no exception for Jackson.
“He’s come across from South Australia, he played some good footy last year, we took him at pick 14 and he’s done everything we’ve asked.
“He’s played some good footy at NEAFL level, he’s been knocking the door down, he’ll come in and he’ll play in the midfield - he’ll play an inside and an outside role, he’s got that capability.
“He’s got a good motor, he can run, which helps at that early age as an 18-year-old in your debut year.
“His composure is probably his number one quality. He’s composed with the footy, he doesn’t get flustered, he plays with a really good, even temperament.
“He’s tough and hard at the footy, we saw that in JLT where he put his head over the footy, and that’s what you want from a young player.”
Cameron has opted for a settled line-up with just the one forced change after a memorable win over Geelong at GMHBA Stadium last Saturday.
The coach isn’t taking lightly a Fremantle side who are sitting inside the top eight with two wins and two losses to start to the year but backs in the GIANTS’ home-ground advantage at UNSW Canberra Oval as the club kicks off the first of three big games in the nation’s capital this season.
“They’re hard to beat, we’ve had some good games against Fremantle, last year we went down to halfway through the last until we got the result,” Cameron said.
“They’re in good form, they’re in the top eight for a reason.
“To have over 4,000 of our record 25,000 members in Canberra is fantastic. The great thing is that when we rock up there, we all know that there’s clearly a sea of orange there.
“The weather seems like it’s going to be perfect. Our players love playing in Canberra, the ground size suits us, but equally the atmosphere that’s now started to support our performance is first class so we look forward to it.”

There’s still time to make sure you don’t miss a moment of the action in 2019 with a three-game Canberra membership giving you access to big games against Fremantle, St Kilda and Hawthorn.

Everything’s bigger up close so be there this season, click here to become a member.

GIANTS v Fremantle
Saturday, April 20 at 1:45pm
UNSW Canberra Oval

FB: Matt Buntine, Sam Taylor, Adam Kennedy
HB: Phil Davis, Nick Haynes, Adam Tomlinson
C: Zac Williams, Matt de Boer, Jeremy Finlayson
HF: Sam Reid, Jeremy Cameron, Stephen Coniglio
FF: Brent Daniels, Harry Himmelberg, Jacob Hopper
RR: Shane Mumford, Josh Kelly, Tim Taranto
Interchange: Jackson Hately, Daniel Lloyd, Lachie Whitfield, Heath Shaw
In: Jackson Hately (debutant)
Out: Callan Ward (knee)
Emergencies: Isaac Cumming, Lachlan Keeffe, Dawson Simpson, Nick Shipley

Hately article in HUN

More in link above

Jackson Hately hoping to seize spot in GWS Giants’ midfield after Tim Taranto blow
Boom youngster Jackson Hately is determined to capitalise on the vacancy in GWS Giants’ midfield left by a serious injury to the club’s reigning best-and-fairest winner.
Jon Ritson, The Daily Telegraph
Subscriber only
|
March 11, 2020 9:23pm
Jackson Hately isn’t one to blow his own trumpet.

Actually, forget that. He is.
He also knows about hitting the right note when under pressure.
Playing the Last Post in front of the whole school was one of the toughest challenges the young Giants midfielder faced before swapping the classroom for an AFL education.
“It was one of the scariest things I’ve done but I’m so glad I did it,” he told The Daily Telegraph.

Fast-forward a couple of years and it’s his football being finetuned rather than his musical skills.
The 19-year-old is pushing hard for a spot in the Giants midfield for Round 1 against Geelong with a vacancy having opened up.

Tim Taranto’s shoulder injury will see him sidelined for four or five months and Hately, along with the likes of draftee Tom Green, has impressed in the Giants’ Marsh Series games.
He finished with 29 disposals, one goal and five clearances in Sunday’s win over Richmond in Wagga Wagga.

With Tim (Taranto) going down (in the first Marsh Series game against the Swans), such an important player, we all had to step up a little bit and I think we did that pretty well in those two games,” Hately said.
“I was just keen to get out there and test myself. I was happy with it and I’m just looking forward to keep building.
“I want to cement my spot in the team and help us win games of footy.”

Just tidying up old player threads, noting that Jackson Hately sought a trade to Adelaide in 2020 after just two years at GWS, but Adelaide were only offering pick #40,which GWS declined. So he was delisted at the end of the season and Crows selected him at pick #1 in the 2020 pre-season draft.

5dc35773-4368-43b3-baca-32c18f1ee880-jpeg.1011587

Remove this Banner Ad

Back