Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke - signs until end 2025! Runner up in the 2022 Syd Barker Medal Award

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Preparing to write him off already?

Nah I’m a big Luke fan. Need our highly rated kids to gradually improve every year tho (not expecting him to explode onto the scene). Previously it wasn’t uncommon for our talented kids to stagnate/even go backwards, so Luke needs to do as Jy has.

Not even 0.0001%

Me either

I think what happens is that every year, year after year , clubs, usually bloody Geelong and the Hawks but most teams at some stage have their new recruits and BANG! Gun!

Rarely have our youngsters been 1st year payoffs,

Recently pretty good but still not many A Grade rookie first year type.

Admittedly- they are rare but I think we thought we had a first year A Grade type on our hands but it looks like he’s a 2/3 yr A Grader;)

TT last year was pretty close and Zurhaar is right up there for quick payoff so it’s exciting times. Bailey would also have been up there if not for injury.

I’m happy and still patient

If Bailey and LDU go next level this year and others sustain - that will be huge!

Interesting take. This YouTuber has done a redraft of the 2017 draft based on potential and actual output
1.Tim Kelly
2. Aaron Naughton
3. James Worpel
4. Jaidyn Stephensen
5. LDU
6. Sam Taylor
7. Oscar Allen
8. Cam Rayner
9. Jack Higgins
10. Ed Richards

Interesting omissions Dow, Brayshaw Cerra

Bonar was pick 11 in that draft as well. You won't please everyone but this isn't a bad go.

Interesting take. This YouTuber has done a redraft of the 2017 draft based on potential and actual output
1.Tim Kelly
2. Aaron Naughton
3. James Worpel
4. Jaidyn Stephensen
5. LDU
6. Sam Taylor
7. Oscar Allen
8. Cam Rayner
9. Jack Higgins
10. Ed Richards

Interesting omissions Dow, Brayshaw Cerra

Bonar was pick 11 in that draft as well. You won't please everyone but this isn't a bad go.

Pretty hard to put Rayner behind LDU on the current output isn't it?

Redoing drafts after 2 seasons is ridiculous
I had a discussion a few years back on the trade board about how long does it take before we can adequately judge a draftee, and I said 3-4 years for midfielders and 5-6 for rucks/kpp's.

2 years is just silly posturing.

Last edited:

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I had a discussion a few years back on the trade about how long does it take before we can adequately judge a draftee, and I said 3-4 years for midfielders and 5-6 for rucks/kpp's.

2 years is just silly posturing.

I think it can only be done once they’re in the twilight of their careers. Too many burst out early and fade and then there’s slow starters.

I think it can only be done once they’re in the twilight of their careers. Too many burst out early and fade and then there’s slow starters.
Can only be done if you're prepared that it'll be wrong down the road.

If someone asked, who would you prefer we drafted out of Walsh, Lukosius and Rozee last year. I'm giving my opinion based on last year's output and my thoughts on their ceiling. Not, oh no can't answer that until the twilight of their career.

Not having a go Val just think these hypotheticals are taken too seriously and people are afraid others will dredge up a post from 3 years ago and call you out.

And now that I think about people do dredge up years old posts. I personally love the: the good judges of footy knew was was a star/bust. If anyone here is a better judge they should be paid by North at draft time.

Last edited:
Can only be done if you're worried it'll be wrong.

If someone asked, who would you prefer we drafted out of Walsh, Lukosius and Rozee last year. I'm giving my opinion based on last year's output and my thoughts on their ceiling. Not, oh no can't answer that until the twilight of their career.

Not having a go Val just think these hypotheticals are taken too seriously and people are afraid others will dredge up a post from 3 years ago and call you out.

And now that I think about people do dredge up years old posts. I personally love the: the good judges of footy knew was was a star/bust. If anyone here is a better judge they should be paid by North at draft time.

Fair enough. Spose it’s just not my thing

Glad you didn't take offence mate.

I can see why people think too early but always interested to see the perception of how our kids are tracking by non-NMFC peeps.

Nah mate it takes a bit to offend me 👍. Only things that really annoy me on here is opposition supporters bagging North or when someone continually bags one of our players.

Interesting comparison (and happy for a discussion on this): Dusty Martin.

Didn't come on right away, but showed enough glimpses early on - you could see that if he figured it out and put it together at the level that he'd be special. I personally am starting to see similar signs with LDU - it might just take a bit longer than some on here might like.

Just looked through their stats for their first couple of years and obviously Dusty got more opportunity (21 and 22 games respectively), but if you do a quick back-of-the-envelope per 22 games comparison, their stats are VERY similar. So I'm really not concerned - let's see what happens with greater opportunity.

Last edited:
Interesting comparison (and happy for a discussion on this): Dusty Martin.

Didn't come on right away, but showed enough glimpses early on - you could see that if he figured it out and put it together at the level that he'd be special. I personally am starting to see similar signs with LDU - it might just take a bit longer than some on here might like.

Just looked through their stats for their first couple of years and obviously Dusty got more opportunity (21 and 22 games respectively), but if you do a quick back-of-the-envelope per 22 games comparison, their stats are VERY similar. So I'm really not concerned - let's see what happens with greater opportunity.
Yeah kinda thought Dusty showed plenty in his first year and got better in his second year and showed improvement every year since. I don't think LDU is traveling as well as Dusty was after 2 years but possibly could become as good here is hoping No reason why he cant seems to have all the tools to do so.

Yeah kinda thought Dusty showed plenty in his first year and got better in his second year and showed improvement every year since. I don't think LDU is traveling as well as Dusty was after 2 years but possibly could become as good here is hoping No reason why he cant seems to have all the tools to do so.
Oh he did, you're spot on there - but he got a HELL of a lot more exposure than LDU did (21 and 22 games vs 7 and 14 games). It wouldn't be easy to get any real continuity with that number of games (basically half).

LDU also showed improvement in year 2 - so I'm trying to look at this relatively. Based on the number of games played, player fitness and output, I think he's on the right track. Would just like to see what he could do with a couple of seasons of 20+ games under his belt. Very keen to see that.

Oh he did, you're spot on there - but he got a HELL of a lot more exposure than LDU did (21 and 22 games vs 7 and 14 games). It wouldn't be easy to get any real continuity with that number of games (basically half).

LDU also showed improvement in year 2 - so I'm trying to look at this relatively. Based on the number of games played, player fitness and output, I think he's on the right track. Would just like to see what he could do with a couple of seasons of 20+ games under his belt. Very keen to see that.
I think in my opinion Dusty got a lot more exposure because he was a lot more ready for senior footy from day one. But like you I think hope we can talk about Luke in the same breath as Dusty one day. We at the end of it all want the same thing for Luke to tear up the comp as Dusty has and does.

I have been watching some replays of our games under Shaw and LDU had some really nice moments, passages of play where I see he has "it". Some of his moments in the Tigers game were awesome. The shimmy from a pack or side step around a player or two just tells me he will be special.

I believe his shoulders really hampered him last year where at times he was timid in the contest. I would not be surprised if LDU explodes this year.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back