Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke - signs until end 2025! Runner up in the 2022 Syd Barker Medal Award

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Marcellin. We beat Assumption by 9 goals in the '84 Herald Shield GF at VFL Park and by 12 goals two weeks later in the AGS GF. That was their team with Billy Brownless at FF and Timmy Powell, while ours included Steve Silvagni and Gav Brown (among others). Enroute to that HS GF we knocked off Gary and Ross Lyon's Melb HS in the semi.
How well do you know Joe Amad?

Marcellin. We beat Assumption by 9 goals in the '84 Herald Shield GF at VFL Park and by 12 goals two weeks later in the AGS GF. That was their team with Billy Brownless at FF and Timmy Powell, while ours included Steve Silvagni and Gav Brown (among others). Enroute to that HS GF we knocked off Gary and Ross Lyon's Melb HS in the semi.

I’m ACK alumni, we never lost to Marcellin.

PEGS were the main threat in my era, but we won back to back to back AGS flags.

No such thing as footy scholarship at MHS, they just don't mark the test as hard for some blokes.

They actively recruited several players back then (Silvagni knew half of the team from state junior sides).

How well do you know Joe Amad?

Extremely well. Have been mates since school. He played in our successful sides (footy and cricket) with me. How do you know old Joe oz?

I’m ACK alumni, we never lost to Marcellin.

PEGS were the main threat in my era, but we won back to back to back AGS flags.

What year were you Pykie? I presume a few after myself (1985). PEGS were all huff and puff and no threat in our era. They were the only AGS side to have several players sporting beards though.

Haileybury is an APS school. Wouldn't play the plebs in the AGS.

Never lost to Haileybury (although did end up hospitalized after copping a knee to the head from the Haileybury ruckman at Keysborough). I think he's still playing with one of the Old Boys sides. Name skips my mind but he was their star ruckman for years.

Hopefully the LDU family and friends are still with us in this thread btw............

Looking forward to seeing how LDU goes against the Tigs on Wednesday (on replay after my friggin catchup dinner!).

They actively recruited several players back then (Silvagni knew half of the team from state junior sides).

Extremely well. Have been mates since school. He played in our successful sides (footy and cricket) with me. How do you know old Joe oz?

PEGS were all huff and puff and no threat in our era. They were the only AGS side to have several players sporting beards though.

Never lost to Haileybury (although did end up hospitalized after copping a knee to the head from the Haileybury ruckman at Keysborough). I think he's still playing with one of the Old Boys sides. Name skips my mind but he was their star ruckman for years.

Hopefully the LDU family and friends are still with us in this thread btw............

Looking forward to seeing how LDU goes against the Tigs on Wednesday (on replay after my friggin catchup dinner!).
Joey started playing cricket at Croxton with a few of my closest mates, played footy with another good mate @Northcote Park . I even assisted coached Matty @ Croxton.
My 1st memories of Joe was the funniest backyard cricket matches of all-time :-taped tennis balls ,15 mtr pitch, automatic keeper, the usual rules etc. Blood was spilt back then. I grew up in Thornbury.
I'm assuming u know David Howell as well?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Joey started playing cricket at Croxton with a few of my closest mates, played footy with another good mate @Northcote Park . I even assisted coached Matty @ Croxton.
My 1st memories of Joe was the funniest backyard cricket matches of all-time :-taped tennis balls ,15 mtr pitch, automatic keeper, the usual rules etc. Blood was spilt back then. I grew up in Thornbury.
I'm assuming u know David Howell as well?

On [device_name] using BigFooty.com mobile app

Bloody hell it's a small world. The cabbie (as Joe's referred to) plays more golf than anything nowadays. He looked like a bum but was a very talented sportsman. Yep, know David "Bomber" Howell mate. I saw Joe recently at another of our great mate's 50th which was held in Thornbury. I presume you also know Simon Lennox and Kev Perry?

Hope he is a gun

I am keeping a lid on it, a lot of people rate him highly on here but I haven’t seen much as of yet

Really would love us to get someone that is developed into a Star

Any chance we can get the thread retitled? Perhaps Thornbury and Districts Local Sportsmen's League & Gentleman's Retreat Official Catchup Thread?

Haileybury is an APS school. Wouldn't play the plebs in the AGS.
I was there about the same time Toes was at Marcellin (not in the 1st XVIII, obvs. My talents were much more modest than that). We did play them and Assumption in the Herald Shield and maybe practice matches but not regular season. That was still the era when the big Catholic footy schools - Assumption, Marcellin, Parade, etc - were the strongest school footy programs. We went out to Waverley one year for a Herald Shield curtain raiser to a VFL night game against Assumption (HS semi or final IIRC) and I recall the general expectation was that we were no chance, which is how it transpired.

The Old Boys scene isn't really my thing and I don't have anything to do with the joint these days other than taking my own kids down there occasionally as the visiting team. But the Keysborough main oval is a bloody lovely ground and we used to love Friday afternoon matches where the whole school would get the afternoon off to watch the footy.

We had a good side but not stocked with draftable talent like they all seem to be these days. Ian Herman, Sean Ralphsmith and Warwick Angus are the only ones I remember from my era going on to play VFL and none of them were stars.

For some reason the APS schools, HC and Caulfield in particular, seemed to put more stock in the athletics in those days. The APS sports at Olympic Park was a highlight of the school calendar for us. Still a teeny bit bitter about being left off the 4x100 relay team despite running faster times than two of the guys that made it. 11.2s should get you in, right?

Tldr version a bunch of private school woolly woofters (nttiawwtkot) recall their glory days playing soggy sao after footy training.

Meanwhile, blokes from the wrong side of the tracks who had to use their wits to get ahead in this crazy old world - st8 skools r gr8 skools - not having had a hand up or the silver spoon inserted in their jacksy, talk of LDUs prospects.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Tldr version a bunch of private school woolly woofters (nttiawwtkot) recall their glory days playing soggy sao after footy training.

Meanwhile, blokes from the wrong side of the tracks who had to use their wits to get ahead in this crazy old world - st8 skools r gr8 skools - not having had a hand up or the silver spoon inserted in their jacksy, talk of LDUs prospects.

A perfect segway. Is Luke playing Wednesday?

A perfect segway. Is Luke playing Wednesday?

Bloody hope so. I paid my five bucks membership top up thing and I want my money's worth.

Bloody hell it's a small world. The cabbie (as Joe's referred to) plays more golf than anything nowadays. He looked like a bum but was a very talented sportsman. Yep, know David "Bomber" Howell mate. I saw Joe recently at another of our great mate's 50th which was held in Thornbury. I presume you also know Simon Lennox and Kev Perry?
Sorry TT thats where its stops.....David and I started our apprenticeships at the same company (ODG), he was 3rd or 4th year when I 1st started but we followed each other socially/work for years until finished up there yrs ago.
The last I heard he had MS but was pretty high up in the same company in NSW.

Yes small world.

Was pretty solid tonight. Very promising signs from a first year player. As he gains confidence I expect we’ll see him use his leg more, perhaps even ignore teammates calling for hands when they’re hot. Seems to be just finding his feet in the game- and I like that, obviously he has respect for the senior players.

He’s getting the footy which is the hard part. I can’t wait for him to have the confidence to play with arrogance.

Plays Round 1 for mine.

If we are going to serve up the same s**t as tonight in the season proper, we may as well do it by blooding guys like LDU.

His mate Murphy can have a game too. A first gamer and looked like one of our most composed. Hibberd and Clarke could take a leaf from his book and not play like a chook with its head cut off.

Was pretty solid tonight. Very promising signs from a first year player. As he gains confidence I expect we’ll see him use his leg more, perhaps even ignore teammates calling for hands when they’re hot. Seems to be just finding his feet in the game- and I like that, obviously he has respect for the senior players.

He’s getting the footy which is the hard part. I can’t wait for him to have the confidence to play with arrogance.
He was better than what he was last week (IMO) and hopefully it continues that way in each game he plays.

LDU certainly has "it"

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back