Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke - signs until end 2025! Runner up in the 2022 Syd Barker Medal Award

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Talking about handballs, you should have a look at doing a write up for Tom Powell.

Yeah he's been super impressive.

I love his smarts - the basketball dribble/tap of the ball so it came back to him was pretty genius.

Is it a surprise that he looks more comfortable at the level early on compared to Phillips?

I love his smarts - the basketball dribble/tap of the ball so it came back to him was pretty genius.

Is it a surprise that he looks more comfortable at the level early on compared to Phillips?
I’m not sure it’s a surprise, I think people are pretty harsh on the vic kids, as they haven’t played in over twelve months. it’s akin to them all coming back from a knee. strength is there just game sense, confidence, etc might take a little longer. Amazing what a goal can do though.

I know we got done by a record margin the other week but it’s plays like this that give us some hope. Especially if he starts hitting the likes of LDU.

Hey North Fans,

I wrote about LDU on my blog this week - detailing the 'signs' he is showing to be a great player in this league as well as where he needs to improve.

https://footytalkingpoints.com.au/2021/04/14/ftp-4/

Would love to hear your thoughts on him - he's an exciting player for the future!

Agree with your points, he's showing some excellent signs with definitely some areas he needs to work on.

At 21 & 30 odd games, we aren't expecting a finished product, however just hoping that he gets continuity this year and continue to build.

A lot of the efforts where he tries to do too much, require more strength & aerobic capacity IMO. I think we've seen with Petracca's first few years in the system, these types (explosive bull) are unable to get away with what they were at u18 level, until they put on quite a bit of size & increase their engine. This offseason was by far the biggest transformation we've seen from a "size" perspective, so hopeful that continues (size comparison below).

2020:
1618449233089.png

2021:
1618449002365.png

Agree with your points, he's showing some excellent signs with definitely some areas he needs to work on.

At 21 & 30 odd games, we aren't expecting a finished product, however just hoping that he gets continuity this year and continue to build.

A lot of the efforts where he tries to do too much, require more strength & aerobic capacity IMO. I think we've seen with Petracca's first few years in the system, these types (explosive bull) are unable to get away with what they were at u18 level, until they put on quite a bit of size & increase their engine. This offseason was by far the biggest transformation we've seen from a "size" perspective, so hopeful that continues (size comparison below).

2020:
View attachment 1102950

2021:
View attachment 1102946

Yeah agreed - his type of play style takes time to develop, which I emphasised regarding the continuity element.

He just needs to get a full year under his belt even if North are struggling and get the reps - he's still only 21!

Petracca took a long time to get to the player he is now - for him it was the aerobic aspect of his game that improved but I think it became a confidence thing as well. I'm sure LDU feels throughout patches of games that no one can go with him so it's just about being able to perform at that consistent level each game.

True...but in saying that, he's really only had one full pre-season in his short career and played 30-odd games.
We need to just back off him a bit and let him play. He'll figure it out.
Most players have niggles and injuries. But at some stage, some deliver and some don't.
Mason Wood was using interrupted preseason as an excuse for nearly 10 years. Until one day nobody was buying it anymore.
Need Luke to stand up and become a 4 quarter player. Now would be a good time.

A bit I guess. He certainly had the potential but had injuries/hip surgery recently too. But he did play footy last year and Phillips didn't.

The LDU piece was good. He had OP last season, there was a suggestion it was due to over training to improve his tank. This pre season just gone saw him place highly in the time trial for younger players so its no surprise he has increased his ToG.

Yeah agreed - his type of play style takes time to develop, which I emphasised regarding the continuity element.

He just needs to get a full year under his belt even if North are struggling and get the reps - he's still only 21!

Petracca took a long time to get to the player he is now - for him it was the aerobic aspect of his game that improved but I think it became a confidence thing as well. I'm sure LDU feels throughout patches of games that no one can go with him so it's just about being able to perform at that consistent level each game.
Petracca looks like a different player this year in that he has completely changed his body shape. He looks like a gun athlete now, he used to look like a pudgy kid with a lot of strength underneath the chubbiness.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I don't think it was strapped like people as saying.

Looked more a compression type sock to me.

It didn't slow him down when he and Jaidyn Stephenson took off thru the middle in the first quarter.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back