Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke - signs until end 2025! Runner up in the 2022 Syd Barker Medal Award

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Watched the GC game, geez they're disappointing. You might be right Choppy. GWS looking much better.
Thought the youth of GWS would mean they'd be bottom 5 with the Pies.

Just goes to show how much depth we'll have if Tom Powell is fighting for a starting spot.

Tommy won’t be fighting no one - he’ll be first picked.
He’s our surgeon- will be cutting teams open with his speed of mind.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

It's been something nagging me for awhile now, and maybe I'm off the mark however it's appeared to me since Noble's come in that whenever he's talking about our young guns, young talent coming through, midfield talent etc. that he rarely if ever mentions LDU. I'm sure he rates him very highly but he never seems to throw his name up when talking about the excitement of our youth, singling out a player or mentioning positives coming out of a game.

My own thoughts are that perhaps he marks him harder than most and maybe there's a perception that LDU can work harder, needs to work harder if he's going to realise his god given talents. My feeling is that Noble has marked him early on as someone that needs to be coached (or at least encouraged) a little differently than most.

It's been something nagging me for awhile now, and maybe I'm off the mark however it's appeared to me since Noble's come in that whenever he's talking about our young guns, young talent coming through, midfield talent etc. that he rarely if ever mentions LDU. I'm sure he rates him very highly but he never seems to throw his name up when talking about the excitement of our youth, singling out a player or mentioning positives coming out of a game.

My own thoughts are that perhaps he marks him harder than most and maybe there's a perception that LDU can work harder, needs to work harder if he's going to realise his god given talents. My feeling is that Noble has marked him early on as someone that needs to be coached (or at least encouraged) a little differently than most.

I’ve noticed also. Rarely ever singles out LDU.

I put it down to him being a 4th year player, which I think we often forget considering how many games he's missed due to injury.

It's typically the first to third year players he seems to mention. Laz, Mahony, Kyron are the three I've seen him specifically point out the most I think.

🤷‍♂️

I put it down to him being a 4th year player, which I think we often forget considering how many games he's missed due to injury.

It's typically the first to third year players he seems to mention. Laz, Mahony, Kyron are the three I've seen him specifically point out the most I think.

🤷‍♂️
You're right in that he's not in our youngest age bracket now however he's still young, he's a number 4 draft pick and potentially has the highest ceiling out of all our list. He's a critical component of our future, possesses elite attributes and has finally begun to show us, really from the latter parts of 2020 what we've all been hoping he could do for a long time. He's someone the club should be excited over and I'm sure they are yet he rarely gets put up in lights like many of his other team-mates.

Just an observation and not critically important. Noble's not stupid and I'm sure his relationship with LDU is just fine so my feeling is he's deliberately not giving him the publicity some may thinks he deserves as his expectations are potentially higher based on his talent, and there's a number of things that he still wants him to work on. It's just that I've felt since Nobe's come in that he could run through the entire list some days and not mention Luke's name.

You're right in that he's not in our youngest age bracket now however he's still young, he's a number 4 draft pick and potentially has the highest ceiling out of all our list. He's a critical component of our future, possesses elite attributes and has finally begun to show us, really from the latter parts of 2020 what we've all been hoping he could do for a long time. He's someone the club should be excited over and I'm sure they are yet he rarely gets put up in lights like many of his other team-mates.

Just an observation and not critically important. Noble's not stupid and I'm sure his relationship with LDU is just fine so my feeling is he's deliberately not giving him the publicity some may thinks he deserves as his expectations are potentially higher based on his talent, and there's a number of things that he still wants him to work on. It's just that I've felt since Nobe's come in that he could run through the entire list some days and not mention Luke's name.

LDU has to earn papa’s love

Bit of an unfair comparison given their very different skill sets but yep Powell streets ahead after 5 games. Tbh he is ahead of any of our mid recruits after 5 games that I can think of ever

LDU doesn't strike me as the sort of player who would respond well to being singled out with with praise or feedback.

More laid back style, who might not respond positively to having pressure put on him.

He still has a long way to go.

Bit of an unfair comparison given their very different skill sets but yep Powell streets ahead after 5 games. Tbh he is ahead of any of our mid recruits after 5 games that I can think of ever
It’ll be one of those things outside of North fans LDU will be noticed before Powell because of his dashing runs. They’ll never understand it’ll always be Powell as first or second receiver clearing the way.

It’ll be one of those things outside of North fans LDU will be noticed before Powell because of his dashing runs. They’ll never understand it’ll always be Powell as first or second receiver clearing the way.
I get what you're saying but I think a Phillips-Powell 1-2 punch will get their (hopefully) due recognition in time. If anyone, it might be Jy who flies under the radar. Definitely agree that LDU will be the eye-catcher

I get what you're saying but I think a Phillips-Powell 1-2 punch will get their (hopefully) due recognition in time. If anyone, it might be Jy who flies under the radar. Definitely agree that LDU will be the eye-catcher
Extremely early days, but I do feel we used our two first round selections well. I didn’t know much about Powell leading into draft night, but was really, really keen on Phillips. I just thought Phillips would go to *en * with one of their three middle top ten picks. Big fist pump when we called out Will.
Since reading up/seeing footage of Powell after we’d selected him, he appears to have been a bit of a steal at 13(?).

Feeling good about it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back