Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke - signs until end 2025! Runner up in the 2022 Syd Barker Medal Award

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oct 4, 2006
The hood
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Another little aspect in his development is his ability to break tackles when he’s stone cold gone. Not talking about at stoppages where he’s untackleable and your only hope is a tackle from a second or third teammate. But when he’s out in the open, with no momentum, like from a bad bounce or a crap kick from a teammate. He’s taking possession, flat footed and still able to get the ball out to a teammate while being pulled to the ground.

Getting bigger and stronger! That's a tackle he probably doesn't stick 12 months ago. His improvement this year has been sensational, can't wait for another big preseason building the tank.

Another little aspect in his development is his ability to break tackles when he’s stone cold gone. Not talking about at stoppages where he’s untackleable and your only hope is a tackle from a second or third teammate. But when he’s out in the open, with no momentum, like from a bad bounce or a crap kick from a teammate. He’s taking possession, flat footed and still able to get the ball out to a teammate while being pulled to the ground.
First couple of seasons he'd get caught 7/10 of those. But you could see what he was trying to do and knew it was just a matter of time.

He's got his body and mind up to AFL speed and he's making opposition players look like absolute clowns now.

Another preseason , more comfortable with his position in the team he will be a beast. Luke’s weighted kicks are as good as anyone. Will be a highlight reel and forwards will be licking their lips when his has the ball streaming forward

Jun 4, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Personally had him down as our best overall today, just thought he stayed in the game for 4 quarters and had a handful of the best passes of the day. Had the most contested possessions for us yet was very clean and constantly working his way out of trouble that would have seen most players in the league get taken to ground, thought it was a great showing.

Billy Not Really

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 7, 2018
Licking windows at the back of the bus.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He was awesome today, looks more and more comfortable each week and knows he belongs. Even when he's getting into trouble he's finding ways to escape getting penalised for it.

Very clearly Cunnington's heir apparent with such bullishness, and Cunnington acknowledged it to be so in his Q/A and gave him a great wrap for his skills, said he was even better than he was!

Nov 7, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Personally had him down as our best overall today, just thought he stayed in the game for 4 quarters and had a handful of the best passes of the day. Had the most contested possessions for us yet was very clean and constantly working his way out of contested trouble, thought it was a great showing.

He was sensational today, got smashed twice and didn’t give up.

Showed next level physical toughness today. AMT got him a beauty.

Personally had him down as our best overall today, just thought he stayed in the game for 4 quarters and had a handful of the best passes of the day. Had the most contested possessions for us yet was very clean and constantly working his way out of trouble that would have seen most players in the league get taken to ground, thought it was a great showing.
His centre square work is really starting to shine.

Dominated for us in there and it showed on the scoreboard.

Le Grille

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts Werewolf Player SFA Good Friday Appeal North Melbourne - 2018 Luke Davies-Uniacke and Paul Ahern Player Sponsor BeanCoiNFT Investor North Melbourne - 2017 Junker and Wagner Player Sponsor Podcaster Zombie Lover A Star Wars Fan
Feb 14, 2005
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Merrett is severely overrated in AFL circles.

Simple way to shutdown Merrett is to stop his teammates getting the ball. He is the very definition of a receiver.
Certainly got a lot for little impact

I thought he was ok, serviceable game, some nice highlights, but not in our best five. Interesting that neither the Age nor Hun have in our best players. I wonder what the coaches votes will bring.

pupstar

Club Legend
Aug 12, 2017
cairns
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I thought he was ok, serviceable game, some nice highlights, but not in our best five. Interesting that neither the Age nor Hun have in our best players. I wonder what the coaches votes will bring.
Yeah i thought the same but maybe i am being a bit hard as i see a few on here had him very high up.

franjon

Premiership Player
Oct 27, 2004
Altona
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
none
Another good lesson for him today on workrate. Once he gets his conditioning sorted the forget about it, will be unstoppable.
Agree completely. He's good. He will be even better when he gets his aerobic capacity better. In the off season I would be sprinting and sprinting him. He has the tools, but just needs that run all day and not spectate as much when he doesn't have the ball mentality. In my opinion when he fixes that he will be a ripper.

RossHenshaw

Club Legend
Sep 12, 2020
AFL Club
North Melbourne
350613AB-70B3-4792-A2A4-6F21AA30908C.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back