Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke - signs until end 2025! Runner up in the 2022 Syd Barker Medal Award

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
What if North had LDU as No1? They wouldn’t have been the only club

INside football magazine had LDU rated as number 1 in their pre draft rankings.
LDU was the main man at under 18’s and I think he has taken time to adjust to playing a role different to what he had.
He will be better this year and in 2020 he will be a force.
Some kids take time to adjust to a change. He has a level head and obvious ability.
Comparing him to others is pointless
In a couple of years he will be back to his u18 role and then he will blossom like we want

My only worry would be his agent. Do we know who it is?

I understand patience, but how much patience did any of you have as a 19y.o?

All the players taken around him in the draft played 15+ games this year, and if they are fit, will likely play every game this year. That will be playing on his mind. His agent will 'look out for his best interests' (best deal) and I can imagine some other clubs offerring him significant playing time.

Hopefully I'm wrong. Just don't forget he is still a kid - "I want everything now".

My only worry would be his agent. Do we know who it is?

I understand patience, but how much patience did any of you have as a 19y.o?

All the players taken around him in the draft played 15+ games this year, and if they are fit, will likely play every game this year. That will be playing on his mind. His agent will 'look out for his best interests' (best deal) and I can imagine some other clubs offerring him significant playing time.

Hopefully I'm wrong. Just don't forget he is still a kid - "I want everything now".

I’m pretty sure he signed a 2 year extension early in the piece
By 3rd year he’ll be a regular, so hopefully nothing to worry about

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

I’m expecting a bit of a different player this year.

From what I’ve been told last year he was a bit tentative at AFL level because of his shoulder.

He has been putting in extra sessions in the gym and is now a lot more confident with the strength in his frame. His running capacity has also improved significantly. Has been going a lot harder at the contest in match sim, and really showing that explosiveness that madehim stand out as a junior.

I expect him to really dominate the VFL this year.

From what I’ve been told last year he was a bit tentative at AFL level because of his shoulder.

He has been putting in extra sessions in the gym and is now a lot more confident with the strength in his frame. His running capacity has also improved significantly. Has been going a lot harder at the contest in match sim, and really showing that explosiveness that madehim stand out as a junior.

I’m picking up what you’re putting down

VFL - Sad :(

LDU really turned a corner in the VFL towards the end of the year as well. Was averaging just under 25 touches in his final three games (which came after being dropped after his final AFL game for the season) after averaging about 14 touches per game up until that point.

I think the minimum expectation of him would be to bring that VFL form into this season, which I'd be pretty happy with personally.

If he plays round one I will be over the bloody moon.

The comparison in games to other players in his draft class is sort of null and void. First of all, the other guys (Brayshaw, Cerra, Dow, Clark etc) play for crap teams (except Stephenson). Secondly, none of them are playing as an inside/outside mid (mostly loose mids or half back/forward) so it is much easier to do well/ appear to do well.

The comparison in games to other players in his draft class is sort of null and void. First of all, the other guys (Brayshaw, Cerra, Dow, Clark etc) play for crap teams (except Stephenson). Secondly, none of them are playing as an inside/outside mid (mostly loose mids or half back/forward) so it is much easier to do well/ appear to do well.

If he plays rd1 his preseason form would have to be exceptional. If he plays rd1, jump on for the rising star

Too good a talent to spend too much time in the twos. I was a critic of Cunnington’s early on as he couldn’t adjust to the pace of the game and they kept persisting with him in the ones. I think I recall a short stint in the twos where he smashed it but he was given plenty of time to build by getting AFL games under his belt.

If he doesn’t make the round 1 team but builds a solid month in the VFL, I would hope (expect) he plays most of the rest of the year in the Seniors. Players with elite talent are wasted in the twos - Cunnington, Ziebell, Wells are other first round midfielders we have given opportunity to grow their game in the seniors.

I also think with the strength of our midfield now he can be nurtured without expecting him to be in the best 3 inside mids. I see him rolling through bench, half forward and on-ball (maybe 5 centre squares per match and elevated responsibility at forward stoppages).

Too good a talent to spend too much time in the twos. I was a critic of Cunnington’s early on as he couldn’t adjust to the pace of the game and they kept persisting with him in the ones. I think I recall a short stint in the twos where he smashed it but he was given plenty of time to build by getting AFL games under his belt.

If he doesn’t make the round 1 team but builds a solid month in the VFL, I would hope (expect) he plays most of the rest of the year in the Seniors. Players with elite talent are wasted in the twos - Cunnington, Ziebell, Wells are other first round midfielders we have given opportunity to grow their game in the seniors.

I also think with the strength of our midfield now he can be nurtured without expecting him to be in the best 3 inside mids. I see him rolling through bench, half forward and on-ball (maybe 5 centre squares per match and elevated responsibility at forward stoppages).

It's different. We'd be putting another talented player in the twos for a developing LDU.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Good points, and as for Stephenson, they had to play him. All their small forwards were injured Blair/ Elliot etc

All the players taken around him in the draft played 15+ games this year, and if they are fit, will likely play every game this year.
It's a bit unfair on Luke. He is an inside grunt, a big tall guy and his game worked well against the bodies of teenagers - he needed to build his body strength like a key tall will.

If you compare him to Andrew Brayshaw and Adam Cerra, both playing in a team that wasn't going anywhere last season and actively looking to pump games into players. Cerra ended up playing off the ball when he is an inside mid just to get him involved at AFL level. Brayshaw is much smaller than LDU and his huge running power allowed him to find a place in a side being able to work hard on the spread.

It's a bit unfair on Luke. He is an inside grunt, a big tall guy and his game worked well against the bodies of teenagers - he needed to build his body strength like a key tall will.

If you compare him to Andrew Brayshaw and Adam Cerra, both playing in a team that wasn't going anywhere last season and actively looking to pump games into players. Cerra ended up playing off the ball when he is an inside mid just to get him involved at AFL level. Brayshaw is much smaller than LDU and his huge running power allowed him to find a place in a side being able to work hard on the spread.

Even though there are so many examples of inside mids taking time, like Kennedy or our very own Cunnington there’s very much a ‘impact now or bust’ mentality that some people have. I imagine a lot of these types follow American sport, where players enter the system as adults.

The undercurrent of negativity and doubt toward LDU in this thread is laughable.

Look through the past Rising Star winners and you'll see there are plenty of players who get dramatically better or worse after their first year.

Relax and enjoy the ride.
Good post.

The only concern I have over LDU is just that it will be so bloody competitive for spots in our midfield in 2019 and moving forward, and it might mean that there's not the development opportunities for him in the 1s unless he is tearing the VFL to shreds, which probably won't happen for a year or two. I mean, on one hand that's absolutely a good thing, but on the other, he probably does need 20-30ish games over the next two years for his development to be best served.

Completely different to when Cunners, Basti, and Jack came through when they were given those opportunities, even when they didn't deserve it. I genuinely can't remember a time when our midfield had this much quality and depth.

Good post.

The only concern I have over LDU is just that it will be so bloody competitive for spots in our midfield in 2019 and moving forward, and it might mean that there's not the development opportunities for him in the 1s unless he is tearing the VFL to shreds, which probably won't happen for a year or two. I mean, on one hand that's absolutely a good thing, but on the other, he probably does need 20-30ish games over the next two years for his development to be best served.

Completely different to when Cunners, Basti, and Jack came through when they were given those opportunities, even when they didn't deserve it. I genuinely can't remember a time when our midfield had this much quality and depth.
There will be injuries. Plus he's just the sort of talent that you find room for. Plenty of our better mids could probably do better in defence and attack than some of "best 22" defenders and forwards.

There will be injuries. Plus he's just the sort of talent that you find room for. Plenty of our better mids could probably do better in defence and attack than some of "best 22" defenders and forwards.

Astute call, HOF. Hoping the selectors are of a similarly flexible mindset. Obviously, it's all about finding the right formula, but the current Midfield depth in particular means we might see a bit of a (for want of a better term) non-traditional set-up across the lines. Trying to find the right balance in accommodating the Midfield(-type) depth without ****ing with the (mostly-proven) structure too much. Again, hoping the selectors are all over this during the pre-season.

It also makes you ponder what effect (if any) that it has on our JLT endeavours. Certainly from a supporter's perspective - well, for me anyway - it adds an element of intrigue factor that the JLT hasn't usually held for me in recent pre-seasons. I normally see it as kind of meaningless in the greater scheme, but this time around I'm interested to see how Brad and the coaching staff go about it. Will Brad, as he has often done in the past, keep his cards close to his chest, or will we (try to) come out guns blazing? In terms of selection, what approach will be taken with LDU (wrt the new additions to the Midfield)?

(EDIT - Disclaimer: A man starved of football will do anything to attempt to inject a little interest into that JLT garbage.)

Last edited:
It’s the new big footy set up. They must still be fluffing around with it. Some clips I can watch, others say unavailable. They’ll get it right one day.

Or not.

If he does well in the pre season which it seems he has, and also considering he had some very good games at VFL level at the tail end of the season for a stretch of 4-5 games of ascending quality. I'd say thats enough to justify getting named on the bench for Round 1, and just go from there.

Obviously I want him to play as much as possible, but the midfield depth quality situation has been turned on its head in a real good way. But the signs of swinging Cunnington as a forward are indicative to me of a sign of things to come possibly.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back