Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke - signs until end 2025! Runner up in the 2022 Syd Barker Medal Award

Status
Not open for further replies.
Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
I can imagine the conversation going something like this ‘Luke when I look at you like this, you stand there and I’ll give you the ball’.
ben-cunnington-2-e1498167467846.jpg

‘And when I give you this look, stand the other side’.

ben-cunnington-2-e1498167467846.jpg

Luke standing there scratching his head..

Cunnington, ‘new plan, how about you you stand where you want and I’ll give you the ball’.

Last edited:

R00StaR

Norm Smith Medallist
Apr 3, 2003
Asgard
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
“Lukey u gotta drink your choccy milk!”

“Lukey when someone tries to tackle you you just push them away”

“Lukey, you’re exploding too quickly out of that stoppage”

“Lukey, stuff surfin, you gotta go fishin”

Hahaha i could imagine Cunners saying that.........only in far less words.

In terms of type of player he becomes, im hoping LDU is more mobile than Cunners. Maybe Cunners crossed with Higgins.

Metres gained isn’t something Ben excels in but it is something LDU should look to make a weapon. Just like Higgins. Who wasn’t too far below Cunners in clearances last year.

He's already more mobile, just needs the fitness to run it out and the knowledge of how to apply that fitness in the most efficient way. Learning of Cunnington doesn't mean he becomes Mk2.

Hmmm, this conjures the following image...

Scotts: "Ben, Luke is your guinea pig."
Cunners: "Awesome. Luke, I am going to come running at you, fend me off and shoot a hand pass to Jacobs."
LDU: "I'm afraid."
Cunners: "Here I come!"
<THUD>
Jacobs: "Stay down, when they ask your name say Wayne Carey."
LDU: "I'm alive!"
Cunners: "You are dead to me."
Scotts: "Maybe this wasn't a great idea."

Stay safe, Luke.

LDU: When Goldy taps it to his feet, I should get in front of my man and block him so you get a clearer run at the ball?

Cunners nods once while he's bating his hook.

LDU: When Goldy taps it to his left, I should get in front of my man and block him so you get a clearer run at the ball?

Cunners nods once as he cast his line

LDU: When Goldy taps it to his right,
I should get in front of my man and block him so you get a clearer run at the ball?

Cunners: Are you getting it son?

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
http://m.afl.com.au/news/2019-02-15/ldu-a-new-roo-coach-lauds-stronger-midfielder

LUKE Davies-Uniacke is poised to make an impact at AFL level as he shows more signs of the dominant clearance play that defined his stellar junior career, North Melbourne coach Brad Scott says.
Scott also told AFL.com.au this week talented defender Luke McDonald was ready to rebound from a disappointing 2018 after taking his fitness to a new level this summer.

Davies-Uniacke played five of the first six rounds in his debut season but just two games thereafter as he spent the rest of 2018 working on his game in the VFL.

Scott told AFL.com.au the good form of North's more experienced midfielders had played a large part in Davies-Uniacke's extended VFL stint last season, but said the former Dandenong Stingray, like many first-year inside on-ballers, had also found competing against seasoned AFL players a huge step up.

"Luke Davies-Uniacke as a junior was a big powerful midfielder who was really able to dominate his opposition at a similar age," Scott said.
When you come into the AFL as a genuine inside midfielder – and Luke was a big 18-year-old – you're still a boy against men.​
"So I think that has been the challenge for him and one that can only be solved through time and opportunity.

"Luke through the pre-season has started to show a lot more of the signs and the passages of play that we saw from him as a junior.

"Now he's stronger, he knows what the AFL system is all about. He knows the standard that he's got to rise to and he's been a really pleasing performer over the pre-season."

Last edited:
If he's got the miles in his legs, then he can do it.

My thoughts exactly. Has enough tricks that it's really just running that is the concern. It might not be the dominant inside role in 2019 that we envisage longterm but he can hold down a spot IMO.

Feb 1, 2008
Thailand
AFL Club
North Melbourne
“I have put a bit of size on, and I’m definitely feeling stronger. I’m leaner too. My skinfolds are down and I’m definitely noticing it helping me run better.
“I’m feeling much fitter and am able to get to more contests to help out.”
With versatility becoming an ever-important facet of the modern game, the North number nine believes he can have an impact in more than just a midfield role.
“I definitely see myself as midfielder, but I think I have the ability to roll forward as well when I need to, which is something I did in my juniors.”

If there is no room for LDU in the midfield full time start him at forward pocket instead of Hrovat

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
“I have put a bit of size on, and I’m definitely feeling stronger. I’m leaner too. My skinfolds are down and I’m definitely noticing it helping me run better.
“I’m feeling much fitter and am able to get to more contests to help out.”
With versatility becoming an ever-important facet of the modern game, the North number nine believes he can have an impact in more than just a midfield role.
“I definitely see myself as midfielder, but I think I have the ability to roll forward as well when I need to, which is something I did in my juniors.”

If there is no room for LDU in the midfield full time start him at forward pocket instead of Hrovat

There should always be room for his kind of talent.

Really, it’s completely in LDU’s court as to how far he can go. Physically, he seems to be a prototype AFL player. If he steps up, he’ll be starting 22 from R1 in whatever position he chooses and he will never be out of the team unless he’s injured in the future.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back