Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke - signs until end 2025! Runner up in the 2022 Syd Barker Medal Award

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Cerra, Brayshaw and Dow aren’t really having much of an impact though.

LDU would be playing games if he were at Freo or Carltank.

If he was playing games at Freo & Carlton, no reason why he shouldn't be playing at North...

LDU would be getting games at almost every other club. We shockingly mismanage young players and destroy development.

North isn't exactly doing that much better than Freo or Carltank.

So, it really doesn't make sense if he's not playing at least half of this years games and needs to go fulltime no questions asked bullshit next year.

I'm all for him having stints in the VFL here and there this year but we should really be slowly integrating him as a best 22 player, so he's prepared for fulltime next year.

Wright is competing with McDonald and is in his 3rd game back. He is building.

Macmillan is always going to play. I feel bad for you if you’re expecting him to be dropped every single week.

Neither are competing with LDU so I’m not sure the point you’re trying to make.

The kid will play. He’s just not ready yet to be part of the core 15-18 players the team is built on.

Point I’m making is regarding selection and faith in selectors. The obvious examples are Wright and McMillan. Dead wood. Don’t expect McMillan to be dropped (sadly), but don’t have to swallow what the selectors are dishing up or like it, or defer to their ‘better judgement’ I’m am dead set against not playing LDU. He and simpkin should be rotating through the midfield, or at least getting some midfield minutes in coming off a flank as has been suggested by some others here. I’d rather see LDU in Sam Wright’s position than what we’re gettijg now.

Point I’m making is regarding selection and faith in selectors. The obvious examples are Wright and McMillan. Dead wood. Don’t expect McMillan to be dropped (sadly), but don’t have to swallow what the selectors are dishing up or like it, or defer to their ‘better judgement’ I’m am dead set against not playing LDU. He and simpkin should be rotating through the midfield, or at least getting some midfield minutes in coming off a flank as has been suggested by some others here. I’d rather see LDU in Sam Wright’s position than what we’re gettijg now.
Not only that but neither Macmillan or Wright are in our best back 6, LDU should be playing instead of carrying an extra defender

If worried about not having a 7th defender just rotate Turner there or the extra mid

I can understand LDU not being ready to take on a full time midfield roll in the seniors, but I find it a little disturbing that he cannot cement a spot in his second year and contribute enough playing other positions like half-forward, wing or even half-back? Is he that one-dimensional? He was touted by some as being the No.1 pick in the draft FFS.

How can Thomas, Turner, Garner and Zurhaar all be ahead of him? I'm not saying these players aren't good players or potentially great players but I want LDU to be better. We need LDU to be better or else we are just going to be a mid-table side for ever.

Probably just need more patience but I had to vent.

I can understand LDU not being ready to take on a full time midfield roll in the seniors, but I find it a little disturbing that he cannot cement a spot in his second year and contribute enough playing other positions like half-forward, wing or even half-back? Is he that one-dimensional? He was touted by some as being the No.1 pick in the draft FFS.

How can Thomas, Turner, Garner and Zurhaar all be ahead of him? I'm not saying these players aren't good players or potentially great players but I want LDU to be better. We need LDU to be better or else we are just going to be a mid-table side for ever.

He's an inside midfielder mate.

I personally prefer all of his learning curve being directed towards being...................... an inside midfielder

It's interesting to look at it that way. Why not - like TT - be able to come in and have an influence straight away? How are a late pick (Turner) and a rookie (Zurhaar) giving more than a guy who could easily have gone at #1? On the other hand, look how long it took Garner to justify being picked in the first round, and since then - if fit - he's an automatic selection.

It's interesting to look at it that way. Why not - like TT - be able to come in and have an influence straight away? How are a late pick (Turner) and a rookie (Zurhaar) giving more than a guy who could easily have gone at #1? On the other hand, look how long it took Garner to justify being picked in the first round, and since then - if fit - he's an automatic selection.
The three players you mention all go in a lot harder than Davies-Uniacke , a lot harder, our supercoach likes this.

The three players you mention all go in a lot harder than Davies-Uniacke , a lot harder, our supercoach likes this.

They also happen to be forwards.

Tarryn will spend 75% of his career there.

We definitely should be giving midfield time to LDU and Ahern, while also regularly rotating guys like Hayden, Smith and Taylor.
Scott seems to talk no other player up like the way he does with LDU.
For me, LDU starts off really well but then he seems to drift in and out of the game. Like he can't concentrate for the four quarters and isn't impacting the contest for the entire game.
Who knows, but it does seem silly not playing him considering how well he and Ahern move the ball.

Listening to Luke Hodge on sen yesterday talking about being patient with Rayner, he mentioned that he felt ready to go in he's 4th year. Uniacke will come good and it will be fun to watch.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's an inside midfielder mate

The very best players nearly always end up playing midfield (unless you're a tall) and your traits determine whether you are more inside than outside. It doesn't mean you cant play elsewhere. With his physical traits and talent I'm surprised he cant play more positions.

Listening to Luke Hodge on sen yesterday talking about being patient with Rayner, he mentioned that he felt ready to go in he's 4th year. Uniacke will come good and it will be fun to watch.

Cam Raynor is in his second year (yet to turn 20) and has played 30 of a possible 30 games. LDU was taken in the same draft and has played 13 of a possible 30. Fagan has put faith in young players and played them in the senior team. They lost a lot of games along the way but the Lions are now up and about and they look well set for the next four or five years.
Scott is far more reluctant to put young guys in and probably too quick to drop them when they have an off game. If LDu is not playing every week by now that is an indictment on either our recruiters, our development or our selection policy. We have seen enough to know he can be an outstanding player at AFL level (26 possessions in round 2) so you would have to say his selection was okay.

We definitely should be giving midfield time to LDU and Ahern, while also regularly rotating guys like Hayden, Smith and Taylor.
Scott seems to talk no other player up like the way he does with LDU.
For me, LDU starts off really well but then he seems to drift in and out of the game. Like he can't concentrate for the four quarters and isn't impacting the contest for the entire game.
Who knows, but it does seem silly not playing him considering how well he and Ahern move the ball.

???

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back