Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke - signs until end 2025! Runner up in the 2022 Syd Barker Medal Award

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
From "Nine things we learned" - https://www.afl.com.au/news/478139/nine-things-we-learned-up-and-down-blues-face-wasted-season

5. The Roos might already have their midfield jet

North Melbourne has gone hard in recent years at the trade and free agency tables trying to lure A-grade midfielders, and will be active again at the end of this season. But they might already have one in the making if he can stay fit. Luke Davies-Uniacke, the No.4 pick at the 2017 NAB AFL Draft, missed the first half of this season recovering from osteitis pubis. But in his second game of the year the speedy, strong and classy midfielder showed his skills, booting two goals from 17 disposals against Adelaide on Saturday. It is easy to see Davies-Uniacke’s talents when he arches his back and zooms past traffic, and the 21-year-old can do it better than most at the Roos. A fit, fast and healthy Davies-Uniacke is the midfielder North needs as it begins its era under Rhyce Shaw. - Callum Twomey

From "Nine things we learned" - https://www.afl.com.au/news/478139/nine-things-we-learned-up-and-down-blues-face-wasted-season

North Melbourne has gone hard in recent years at the trade and free agency tables trying to lure A-grade midfielders, and will be active again at the end of this season. But they might already have one in the making if he can stay fit. Luke Davies-Uniacke, the No.4 pick at the 2017 NAB AFL Draft, missed the first half of this season recovering from osteitis pubis. But in his second game of the year the speedy, strong and classy midfielder showed his skills, booting two goals from 17 disposals against Adelaide on Saturday. It is easy to see Davies-Uniacke’s talents when he arches his back and zooms past traffic, and the 21-year-old can do it better than most at the Roos. A fit, fast and healthy Davies-Uniacke is the midfielder North needs as it begins its era under Rhyce Shaw. - Callum Twomey

That headline needs a little editing:

5. The Roos might already have their second midfield jet

One thing I am really looking forward to over the next ten years is watching LDU and Simpkin play 200 plus games side by side.

I'd take Twomey's opinion over most when it comes to recently drafted players.

+ a fit Thomas, and who knows where Scott's ceiling is...

Throw in Taylor who looks like he will play midfield minutes as he gets more experience. Loving his development. Can't wait to get a look at Perez at this level as well.

With that group of five, I think we potentially go from being the blue-collar hard-working but low skilled team to being one of the most skillful in the AFL. Just hope they all kick on.

Talking about Blakey, I always thought he looks like JaJa Binks. But after watching District 9 he reminds me of the Prawns

His old man was the perfect specimen for a footballer. Tallish, quick, rangy but still powerful and could run all day. Nick is a genetic mutation gone wrong. He is taller but all neck, no shoulders with short chicken wing arms.

The more he plays without fear of re-injury the better he'll get. He makes mistakes but he does some absolutely beautiful things too.

Reminds me of cunners early days - trying ti get accustomed to the pace of the game. Plus he hasn’t got the strength to burst through tackles YET.
Very happy about his game on Saturday.
It’s a lovely taste of what he can do.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Reminds me of cunners early days - trying ti get accustomed to the pace of the game. Plus he hasn’t got the strength to burst through tackles YET.
Very happy about his game on Saturday.
It’s a lovely taste of what he can do.

I do chuckle about folks who are crying out for elite ball users. We have one right under our noses and barely anyone has noticed.

If he ends up with the inside strength of Cunners, then we'll end up with a top 5 AFL player on our hands.

I do chuckle about folks who are crying out for elite ball users. We have one right under our noses and barely anyone has noticed.

If he ends up with the inside strength of Cunners, then we'll end up with a top 5 AFL player on our hands.

Agree. I think we have more than one elite ball user under our nose. Scott, Taylor, Thomas, Perez, and of course Jy will all be known as elite ball users over their careers.

I posted about the extra work he and a few others in Simpkin, Thomas and Bonar were doing over preseason where they practised bursting from the centre square and hitting up a leading target, and how the quality of LDUs kicking was stop and stare good.

Yep, our first rounders this year in there too.

Hopefully we keep them all in form until 2035 when Josh Kelly finally gives our list his premiership tilt readiness blessing.

"Their house is now in order and the teacher hath arrived" - Guru Josh

Hopefully we keep them all in form until 2035 when Josh Kelly finally gives our list his premiership tilt readiness blessing.

"Their house is now in order and the teacher hath arrived" - Guru Josh

I’d be happy with 20 touches a week for 22 weeks.

Then game 60 onwards, he’s the main man.

He just needs continuity now.

His biggest run of games so far has been 6.

With continuity, he will find the tempo.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back