Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke - signs until end 2025! Runner up in the 2022 Syd Barker Medal Award

Status
Not open for further replies.

Johnny99

Club Legend
Sep 15, 2011
In a house.
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Yet it’s not that he didn’t have the talent. It must be the way he applies himself.

But with a highly rated F/S you don’t really have a choice. You’re almost obliged to take him...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app
Yes. But playing him in the reserves the year before he got drafted didnt help.
They should have left him in the U18 comp so he could be compared with other U18 kids.
Then if he is still considered the eighth best player at U18, or lower. Then draft him.

I reckon Lmac for too long thought of himself as gun. But now with the talent coming into the club, LDU Ahern, Thomas, Scott, etc. He has finally realized himself....he aint that good.

guapo

All Australian
Aug 24, 2005
fitzroy
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Kangaroos
Yet it’s not that he didn’t have the talent. It must be the way he applies himself.

But with a highly rated F/S you don’t really have a choice. You’re almost obliged to take him...

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The biggest issue with F/S and academy picks since they changed the system is exactly this obligation.

You spend years nurturing and developing these kids on the assumption that they will be high end talent, so in effect you’ve been committed for years through the investment made and it’s too easy for other clubs eg Adelaide and West Coast to force your hand.

Geelong built a dynasty in the mid 00’s through F/S picks in the forties (Ablett, Scarlett, Hawkins etc) yet we get forced to use pick 8 on LMac and now TT because everybody knew we were never not going to match.

F/S should be returned to the 2nd rounder like it used to be, and should be given priority over academy rights to avoid the Blakey situation (who we started investing in before he was even born)

Stephenson over LDU?

giphy.gif

WesternRoo

Club Legend
Apr 4, 2007
Wattleup Stadium
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Club Oz Cougars
Whether we like it or not, we'll always be comparing Luke's career with Stephenson's.
Hopefully in years to come our decision will end up being the right one.

Honestly, it doesn’t matter.

If LDU becomes the player we want and justifies his pick, who really cares how good Stephenson becomes.

I would dare say he (Stephenson) wouldn’t be as good in our present team and there would be an overwhelming pressure fir him to play further up the ground for us where he may struggle (particularly last year).

Sep 5, 2014
Hertford
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Manchester United, Stevenage FC
Honestly, it doesn’t matter.

If LDU becomes the player we want and justifies his pick, who really cares how good Stephenson becomes.

I would dare say he (Stephenson) wouldn’t be as good in our present team and there would be an overwhelming pressure fir him to play further up the ground for us where he may struggle (particularly last year).
Stephenson certainly suit Collingwoods style of play more than he does ours.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
His work was dripping with class in the first half.

Going to be an absolutely unbelievable player in a few years.

A faster, better skilled Josh Kennedy is a frightening thought....

Roo Beauty

Norm Smith Medallist
May 16, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Sexy footballer. Reminds me of a quicker Penlebury, but with less ability to create time and space (which will come with more development).

Hope he plays R1.

Kimbo

Cancelled
Veteran 10k Posts
Dec 14, 2002
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Sturt, Liverpool
Uh oh. Grammar leviathan, Kimbo, is going to be all over this post like an adjective on a noun.
Well, you know what they say? 'One man's grammar leviathan is another man's pedant.'

Naturally I agree with Bigeasy. Tef goes 'all in' with his calls and they're all, almost always exaggerated... and I've told him a billion times never to do that. I put it down to his generation not playing Supercoach.

Mad Tef - Beyond Hyperbole.

Well, you know what they say? 'One man's grammar leviathan is another man's pedant.'

Naturally I agree with Bigeasy. Tef goes 'all in' with his calls and they're all, almost always exaggerated... and I've told him a billion times never to do that. I put it down to his generation not playing Supercoach.

Mad Tef - Beyond Hyperbole.

Ha, yes. Absolutely.

But tbh my concern was not so much about anyone's penchant for hyperbole, as it was about leviathan's new-found status as an adjective. :stern look

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back