Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke - signs until end 2025! Runner up in the 2022 Syd Barker Medal Award

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pykie

Cancelled
10k Posts A Star Wars Fan Pokemon is Life North Melbourne - North 2007 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship
Sep 17, 2006
Lord's
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Leeds United
You can just imagine him with JZ’s physique in about 5 years.

Holy moly.

The biggest complaint I have at the moment is that his hands are terrible. If he could just learn how to pick the ball up off the ground he'd be averaging around 20 touches a game.

Apart from that he is the complete package. We're pretty ******* lucky to have Thomas, Simpkin and LDU to build our midfield around for the next decade.
He didn't have too much trouble picking up an Atley handball to his feet to kick a goal.

The idea of LDU being afraid is right up there with the notion that Greenwood is weak. As in, it’s codswallop! Luke just tries to do things too quickly for his own good at times, as he tries to gather and move away at the same time. He’ll get his timing sorted with more experience- then, watch out!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

The idea of LDU being afraid is right up there with the notion that Greenwood is weak. As in, it’s codswallop! Luke just tries to do things too quickly for his own good at times, as he tries to gather and move away at the same time. He’ll get his timing sorted with more experience- then, watch out!

Greenwood might not be weak but running past the contest with Ats was.

Greenwood might not be weak but running past the contest with Ats was.

It didn’t look great, Ferball, I agree. However, when you’re getting roundly flogged all over the park, these things happen. He wasn’t going hard enough. Having said that, Atley did not loom as a physical threat to him. In fact, At’s was just intent on dodging his contact.

KiwiRoo

Premiership Player
Mar 7, 2007
New Zealand
AFL Club
North Melbourne

good call. i think Simkin was similar too.
Its like they're aware that AFL is faster, so try to do things too quickly, when both have the evasive skills to buy a fraction of time and then dispose of it properly

It didn’t look great, Ferball, I agree. However, when you’re getting roundly flogged all over the park, these things happen. He wasn’t going hard enough. Having said that, Atley did not loom as a physical threat to him. In fact, At’s was just intent on dodging his contact.

He wasn't the only one either tbf and when you're getting flogged, as you say these things happen. I don't mind Greenbucks either really. We could have made more effort to keep him and with hindsight that might have helped in 2016. Everyone does something like that at some point in their footy career, usually in juniors, and its often the making of good players. Hopefully for him the embarrassment will drive him to be better for the rest of the year and his career. And there were times during that game where he went hard got smashed and in the next play his teammates squibbed it, before that play happened with Ats. Footy is a team sport and that sort of weakness/fear can spread thru a team the way courage does after someone puts themselves on the line and wins a big contest.

Frankly if he'd nailed Ats in that contest it would have lifted his teammates and the game would have been very different. I doubt they would have won but they wouldn't have embarrassed themselves to the same extent. Plenty of others you could say that about tho. When a bloke the size of Cox gets outmarked repeatedly in contests by Pittard that sets a tone too.

roos_tt29

All Australian
Oct 6, 2015
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Keeps showing the traits I'm looking for that will make him a great player once he has a few seasons under his belt. Very solid game - playing his role.
Also did not realise the kid had those kind of hops! Wowee!

good call. i think Simkin was similar too.
Its like they're aware that AFL is faster, so try to do things too quickly, when both have the evasive skills to buy a fraction of time and then dispose of it properly

The case that sticks out most for me was the Pies only goal in the first quarter. LDU had about three bites at it and, probably, could have just killed the ball. Yet, he was trying to do things so quickly that the ball kept eluding his grasp. In the end a Collingwood player picked it up and fed it to Tom Phillips, who goaled. I remember being very frustrated with Luke at the time. However, it’s something that I fully expect him to tidy up with more game time experience.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back