Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke - signs until end 2025! Runner up in the 2022 Syd Barker Medal Award

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.

GarnerSmash

They tried to make me go to rehab
10k Posts Ex-Moderator North Melbourne - 2015 Daw & MacMillan Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2014 Daw, Black, Gibson Player Sponsor North Melbourne - 2013 Daw, Black and Gibson Player Sponsorship North Melbourne - North 2012 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2011 Player Sponsor North Melbourne - North 2010 Player Sponsor
Jun 2, 2009
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Just having a squizz at the pictures of this morning he looks in great nick might of even slimmed off a bit i reckon.
Looks like he lost upper body mass due to shoulder reco.

Mar 10, 2018
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Personally I want to see him crack in.
I believe he probably has the ability to make it, but I've seen him avoid contact enough times to give me some real doubts. Not just after he was carrying his injuries.
Yes he's young but most players don't learn to go hard, they have it or they don't.
Fingers crossed he gains the confidence and campaigner to go on with it.

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
He is very tentative at stages. Often gets caught out flat footed.

I’m still of the opinion that he is going to be a brute strength inside midfielder, he is going to be a mid that will have to be on the move (like Higgins) to get the most benefit out of his game.

Seems to lack confidence when he has ball in hand and looks around to see if he’s in the correct position.
Might of been scotts overcomplicating a simple game

DunderHead

Premiership Player
Apr 12, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
North Melbourne
He looks like he has given the shoulders and upper body a rest. Sounded like they needed it especially with the op and all.

These blokes will hit the weights pretty hard pre-Christmas. He will look significantly different in a month i reckon. Doesnt take long to regain strength after a break in my experience.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Seems to lack confidence when he has ball in hand and looks around to see if he’s in the correct position.
Might of been scotts overcomplicating a simple game

This doesn't look like a young bloke lacking confidence to me mate.

He looks like he has given the shoulders and upper body a rest. Sounded like they needed it especially with the op and all.

These blokes will hit the weights pretty hard pre-Christmas. He will look significantly different in a month i reckon. Doesnt take long to regain strength after a break in my experience.

Agree, and he has no better example than Mr 4 Shoulder reco’s himself, Robbie Tarrant, to guide him in his strength rebuilding.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Yes almighty one.

Please send a pair of those rose coloured glasses over

Fair enough mate. I am not as pessimistic as you about Luke, I just acknowledge that players of his type take time.

We'll revisit this in the middle of 2021 and see who was closer to the mark. :thumbsu:

Apart from using brute strength to physically break away from tackles, the ability to assess the situation and get off an advantageous handball while being tackled should be a skill being practiced by the entire squad, always more than 1 way to skin a cat.

You mean practicing the “Cunnington”

Apr 17, 2007
melb home of the kangas
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
hellas,liverpool,storm,au
Fair enough mate. I am not as pessimistic as you about Luke, I just acknowledge that players of his type take time.

We'll revisit this in the middle of 2021 and see who was closer to the mark. :thumbsu:

I don’t have doubts mate.

Think in two years he’ll be in our best 5 players with tarryn

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
I don’t have doubts mate.

Think in two years he’ll be in our best 5 players with tarryn

Good to read that. I suppose you're a little anxious to see him really arrive, and I suspect we'll see it in bursts this year.

I'm VERY bullish about Luke.

DrZaius

GENERATIONAL
Mar 28, 2016
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
norf
Can't remember where the quote came from but a good metric for judging how a player will turn out is something along the lines of "it's not what they do, it's how they do it" and I feel this is very applicable to Luke. You can see him try to take on players, and burst / spin his way out of trouble. Problem is he just isn't physically strong enough yet to pull it off.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back