Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke - signs until end 2025! Runner up in the 2022 Syd Barker Medal Award

Status
Not open for further replies.
i guess Rayner was pretty much 'rated' by everyone too. if he and Zurhaar were both on the market at the same time, it'd be unanimous who the clubs would rate higher now. I just feel we get seduced by a draft number.

There's definitely something in that.

I think TT could have gone pick one in 2017 and Bailey Scott might have pushed the top 10. 2017 doesn't seem as strong a draft but apart from Stephenson (who plays as a forward not a mid) LDU is the only one with anything imo. He's done enough to look like he will be a gun in the next few years. Provided he keeps improving at a steady rate.

If he plays like he did against Brisbane in r2 regularly this coming season and keeps improving on that he'll be an excellent player.

i guess Rayner was pretty much 'rated' by everyone too. if he and Zurhaar were both on the market at the same time, it'd be unanimous who the clubs would rate higher now. I just feel we get seduced by a draft number.

Matthew Lloyd ( head of football at Haileybury) said at the time , he’s the best junior he’s ever coached.
I think it’s more than being seduced by a draft number, think what you want of Lloyd, it’s a pretty big wrap

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Rated according to whom? And yes, I do have my doubts as to whether he'll make it.
if you’re 50 points down and want to win the game, he is your man.
If we had the number 1 pick in the draft his name would’ve been read out. the only reason Brisbane and Fremantle didn’t read his name out is he said he wanted to play in Melbourne.

we were lucky to get him, patience grasshopper. you can already see he has the skills and burst. Just needs the strength.

Last edited:

Waussie

Premiership Player
Nov 26, 2017
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Noticed he now has no strapping on his shoulders - will be interesting to see if that continues post-op into the 2020 season. Could be a good sign.
They should strap for contact training and games for about 12 months as standard.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
if you’re 50 points down and want to win the game, he is your man.
If we had the number 1 pick in the draft his name would’ve been read out. the only reason Brisbane and Fremantle didn’t read his name out is he said he wanted to play in Melbourne.

we were lucky to get him, patience grasshopper. you can already see he has the skills and burst. Just needs the strength.

Rayner looked pretty damn good but it did appear between him and LDU for the top 2 right until the day.

giantroo did a great clip of LDU's matchwinning game and that had me thinking he would immediately be a Joel Selwood drag the team over the line type.

It might still happen but there's a leap of confidence that needs to occur first.

Rusty Buckets

Team Captain
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Rayner looked pretty damn good but it did appear between him and LDU for the top 2 right until the day.

giantroo did a great clip of LDU's matchwinning game and that had me thinking he would immediately be a Joel Selwood drag the team over the line type.

It might still happen but there's a leap of confidence that needs to occur first.
I'm clearly an outlier on this one, although hearing such strong advocacy on LUD's behalf is a little reassuring, as we all want the same thing, that being that our no. 4 draft pick becomes an elite of the competition.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I'm clearly an outlier on this one, although hearing such strong advocacy on LUD's behalf is a little reassuring, as we all want the same thing, that being that our no. 4 draft pick becomes an elite of the competition.

While I appreciate patience in development etc, I'd be lying if I didn't expect him to have shown more at senior level thus far.

That's not predicting his demise but I imagined his 1st 2 seasons projecting slightly higher.

Just in discussing it, I think it is the trepidation as mentioned above re confidence that comes to mind. Guys like LT or even Kayne Turner struck as blokes who hit senior level immediately with a level of aggression or arrogance. Body maturity aside LDU doesn't seem to quite carry that demeanour as yet.

Rusty Buckets

Team Captain
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne
While I appreciate patience in development etc, I'd be lying if I didn't expect him to have shown more at senior level thus far.

That's not predicting his demise but I imagined his 1st 2 seasons projecting slightly higher.

Just in discussing it, I think it is the trepidation as mentioned above re confidence that comes to mind. Guys like LT or even Kayne Turner struck as blokes who hit senior level immediately with a level of aggression or arrogance. Body maturity aside LDU doesn't seem to quite carry that demeanour as yet.
I'm not trying to run down the draft per se and no doubt there are plenty on here who have a greater understanding of its intricacies than myself. I do often wonder though whether the draft age should be raised to 19, so clubs have more exposed form to work off. Clearly the strike rate of first-rounders compared to rookies is a no-brainer, but I'd still pose the question: Would you straight swap Rayner for Zurhaar or Ben Brown for one of the King twins?

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
I'm not trying to run down the draft per se and no doubt there are plenty on here who have a greater understanding of its intricacies than myself. I do often wonder though whether the draft age should be raised to 19, so clubs have more exposed form to work off. Clearly the strike rate of first-rounders compared to rookies is a no-brainer, but I'd still pose the question: Would you straight swap Rayner for Zurhaar or Ben Brown for one of the King twins?

Preaching to the converted there, I'd raise it to 19 or higher in a heartbeat.

Even with all the analysis the strikerate of draft picks is poor, it's far too early to project on any but the most elite talented talls and it simply derails kid's formative years when they'd be better growing up a bit first and commencing studies, work etc.

Feb 11, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne

Even with all the analysis the strikerate of draft picks is poor, it's far too early to project on any but the most elite talented talls and it simply derails kid's formative years when they'd be better growing up a bit first and commencing studies, work etc.
Let’s raise the age to 21 and send the kids to uni before they’re allowed to be drafted.
better yet let’s make sure they have to keep up a grade point average also.

I agree at 18 no one has any idea of who or what they want to be.

I’d be a big fan of sending the 18 year old kids off, pagan style, to work for year and well as train. doesnt need to be anything but enough to make them realise how fortunate they are, to be given the opportunity to play.

Last edited:

Rusty Buckets

Team Captain
Oct 11, 2019
AFL Club
North Melbourne

As a supporter of Williamstown I see my share of VFL footy. There's some blokes running around who deserve an opportunity and i'm sure the AFL scouts are across these blokes, but with clubs likely to take fewer picks this year, it's going to be hard. I know Rod Stroker reckons Hibberd is playing at his level, but had he not been previously listed, the media would be raving about him.

Apr 24, 2013
Arden Street Hill
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Essendon Lawn Bowls Club
Different kids develop differently at different times.

Snake Baker Drafting ages

Endurance runners: 18-19
Inside mids, flankers & small forwards: 21
KPP's: 22-23
Ruckman: 24-25

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM

By 22, he’ll be winning matches out of the middle.

Jun 9, 2001
Fogarty Street
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
St Johnstone
By 22, he’ll be winning matches out of the middle.

Hope so - there's talent there plus seems a decent kid to have at the club.

Makes me think there's a generation pushing from under Jack, Robbie, Jamie and Higgo that need to start having a louder voice and attitude within the list.

Trent, Cam and Nick are a good start on this front.

Apr 1, 2008
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Other Teams
Liverpool, Raiders, GSW, QPR, NYM
Hope so - there's talent there plus seems a decent kid to have at the club.

Makes me think there's a generation pushing from under Jack, Robbie, Jamie and Higgo that need to start having a louder voice and attitude within the list.

Trent, Cam and Nick are a good start on this front.

He’s a Josh Kennedy like mid with a better burst and skills off both sides.

He needs the strength to compete with the bigger bodies and be the primary mid.

Orange Peanut

Norm Smith Medallist
Feb 6, 2013
AFL Club
North Melbourne
Andy's talent-spotting skills are very highly regarded by those in the know.
SmartSelect_20191108-145314_Chrome.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back