Player Watch #9: Luke Davies-Uniacke - signs until end 2025! Runner up in the 2022 Syd Barker Medal Award

Remove this Banner Ad

Status
Not open for further replies.
Yeah, what I’ve seen I’ve liked... patches of explosiveness and brilliance last year had me take note!

From what I’ve read injuries have really held his progress up. Here’s hoping this year he stays injury free and I’m sure he will excel
He's not quite the Dangerfield from your avatar tho.

He better not flop like danger does
The irony is if Dangerfield had gone hard at the ball in last years Grannie, like a lesser player - Turner, Anderson or Jack Ziebell from our side for example, he might have won the Cats the flag.

He's the best talent we've had since Jesse, imo. Just a damaging user that creates something from nothing.

But that's not what makes him stand out from other precocious talents on the list. It's the explosiveness from congestion. Yes he ain't blindingly quick in a straight line sprint, but his acceleration in the first 5 MTRS allows him to get separation that sets him apart. Throw in his ability to step anybody and get off a precision disposal, then you have a rare talent.

He's gonna be awesome.

He's the best talent we've had since Jesse, imo. Just a damaging user that creates something from nothing.

But that's not what makes him stand out from other precocious talents on the list. It's the explosiveness from congestion. Yes he ain't blindingly quick in a straight line sprint, but his acceleration in the first 5 MTRS allows him to get separation that sets him apart. Throw in his ability to step anybody and get off a precision disposal, then you have a rare talent.

He's gonna be awesome.

Swallow had the five meter burst as well along with elite hardness. But lacked precision disposal. Luke could be anything but I’ll wait for a full season of his best before getting too excited

He does have all the tools though

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

(Log in to remove this ad.)

He's going to be some player.

Could be the best junior to enter Arden Street since Jesse Smith.

25/11/2017

View attachment 1061333

Bede Briscomb, take a bow.👏👏👏👏👏

Two questions:

Who is Bede Briscombe? I like his rhetorical style!

How good could Jesse Smith have been? I didn't see that much of him but my recollections are a very smooth moving, highly skilled player with good size on a wing/HBF? Obviously, the ankle killed his career but there was a heap of buzz about him.

Two questions:

A draft analyst.

How good could Jesse Smith have been? I didn't see that much of him but my recollections are a very smooth moving, highly skilled player with good size on a wing/HBF? Obviously, the ankle killed his career but there was a heap of buzz about him.

Elite. Multiple All Australian. Half Back, but may have become a ruck rover.

Would have captained the NMFC when Swallow got the gig.

Try to imagine an LDU type skill & poise player that played taller.

You want some perspective? He was drafted the same year as Franklin, and was BOG in the 2007 semi final in which Franklin played. Franklin won the Coleman Medal the next season and Jesse played 2 more games of football and his career was over.

He also won the Larke Medal for best underage player in the same year as Franklin. He was THAT GOOD.

IMO, he's the most tragic NMFC story of the last 50 years.

Two questions:

There were 3 players in contention for the rising star when Jesse had his break out year, Jesse, Selwood & Pendlebury. He was every bit as good as them. From memory Jesse went at high 90% disposal efficiency for a while. Was tough and could take a screamer. Dominant in semi against the Hawks. He had it all mate.

When Shifter Sheehan was on SEN, KB asked him who is the best player that’s career was wrecked by injury, Shifter didn’t hesitate and said Jesse Smith. Said he was one of the best talents he’d seen period.

fu**. Now I need a lie down

Yes, it's definitely a disturbing walk down memory lane.

The jewel in the crown was stolen from us before it even managed to properly shine.

Two questions:

If the injury gods had been kinder to Jesse, he would have been the kind of player who was the difference in us flaming out the prelim stage in that 2014-16 period.

Match winner.

Absolute gun.

Think Luke Hodge style player.

When Shifter Sheehan was on SEN, KB asked him who is the best player that’s career was wrecked by injury, Shifter didn’t hesitate and said Jesse Smith. Said he was one of the best talents he’d seen period.

fu**. Now I need a lie down

We've done alright with f/s since, and have a few more coming down the pipe, so hopefully The Footy Gods are squaring the ledger a bit.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back