Senior 9. Max Holmes (2021-)

Remove this Banner Ad

I coached some very , very fast athletes at Year 12 level but few were fast on the field with the footy. They seldom took possession and took advantage of their speed.
On the other hand I had a kid who was slightly slower athletically but he was incredibly fast with the footy - because he had footy nous and would take possession with momentum and speed at exactly the right time. That's very hard to coach into a player as you can do all the drills you want but the ones that get it do so more innately.
I hope Max can match his athleticism with natural footy nous , that could really be something :thumbsu:

I think you have summarised David Clake jr

found this interview released a few days ago.
Key points,

He was told by Troy Selwood at a draft training week we would love to draft him but we don’t have the picks so we won’t be drafting you.

He was doing some running sprints at a local track when Brad and Bobby Hill turned up and then found max on social media and was asked if he would want to train with them again.

Said he’s quicker than Brad,
Would love to play against him and try and outrun him

found this interview released a few days ago.
Key points,

He was told by Troy Selwood at a draft training week we would love to draft him but we don’t have the picks so we won’t be drafting you.

He was doing some running sprints at a local track when Brad and Bobby Hill turned up and then found max on social media and was asked if he would want to train with them again.

Said he’s quicker than Brad,
Would love to play against him and try and outrun him

Sound quality in parts is a bit dodgy but some really cool moments.

The part that was exciting too was him saying he was surprised how much the senior players try to help the young players. Really conscious of trying to leave the club in as good a state as possible.

For historical purposes, first "In The Mix" wrap:

Max Holmes
Another Cat that was ‘really good’ in Geelong’s VFL hit out against Coburg was first round draftee Max Holmes.

The lightly built midfielder was the standout player on the weekend in O’Bree’s eyes, making him a smokey for an AFL chance early in the season.

“He was our best player by a bit today.”

“He was playing as an inside mid and on the wing as well. He won a heap of the ball and looked really composed.

“His assets are his speed around the contest, but he is built for long periods, so we were really happy with Max’s first whole game he was able to play with us.”

Sucked in to all the idiots who thought this kid was a nothing pick - looks like we may have actually got a steal from what I've seen. Already BOG 3 months into his career, is lightning quick and has the skill to match.

Oh and he's an AFL emergency already. Just shows that the same suspects who whinge about the kids we draft like they're experts - are always wrong, lol

Two BoGs for Holmes in the VFL from two appearances.

Though, I never watched the games, I would doubt they would just rate him BoG as a kinda statement to justify him as the first selection. I think the kid can play, and may already be ahead of the likes of a Narkle, Stephens, etc at the selection table.

Last edited:
Best Geelong #9 since Zac Smith

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A solid debut from the lad. He definitely looked his best in the contest and when giving off to short options. Decent kick on him.

Needs to work a bit on his defensive side. Corralled a bit when he should have gone to the player or made a defensive chase etc but he can be excused given that he's playing undersized. If he adds a few defensive sprints he's a 200 gamer.

If he's in the seniors next week I'd set him the target of 5 defensive tackles. If back to vfl then I'd probably wait a few rounds until there's the opportunity to put him on a dominant midfielder and have him tag for a half.

Overall a very exciting talent

Seems like decent return from a future Rd 1 pick.

Lots to work with and will get better over time.

A few more preseason and some decision making experience will do wonders

Good start for him.

GO Catters

Remove this Banner Ad

Back