Senior 9. Patrick Cripps

Remove this Banner Ad

Cant remember a Blue who has had a more impressive first 150.. 2x AA, 3x BNF, should have been rising star winner.
I liked how in Cripps' season the justification was "Oh it's easier as a mid than it is as a key position player, Hogan should win it as he's a KPP and Cripps is just a mid"

Then the next season our KPP player in Weitering lost to a midfielder/half back flanker. Didn't hear the same arguments being made for Jacob that season...

Cant remember a Blue who has had a more impressive first 150.. 2x AA, 3x BNF, should have been rising star winner.

The way Patrick Cripps has been flying this year, good chance for his fourth BNF. Also a good chance to leapfrog Chris Judd in third for Brownlow votes at our club (remarkable considering Cripps has received 15 votes between 2020 and 2021).

John Nicholls completed his 1966 season on 162 career games and he won his fourth BNF that year. He has the most at our club with 5. Patrick Cripps has time on his side to join Big Nick (although, the guy doesn’t care about personal accolades).

I liked how in Cripps' season the justification was "Oh it's easier as a mid than it is as a key position player, Hogan should win it as he's a KPP and Cripps is just a mid"

Then the next season our KPP player in Weitering lost to a midfielder/half back flanker. Didn't hear the same arguments being made for Jacob that season...
Bang!

Joking aside, watch this.

It's all there, the ability to take contact, the vision in close, the body fakes and steps on the run to buy more time, even the overhead marking and kicking are present, despite being sold as a handball first guy.

Cripps was drafted at the tail end of the athlete first era, and I remember how a lot of the discussion was about how he wouldn't make it because he was too slow. But he's only slow in a foot race, on the footy field in traffic, he moves beautifully.
I'd have to get confirmation from the cross-coder but speed aside I think he may have been a fair league player.

Congratulations Patrick Cripps. Have a great game. Go Blues.

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Or Charlie Curnow when he was breaking out.

But that aside, congrats Captain! He is the kind of player who has pulled this club up by its bootstraps. Going back a few years, one thing I would always think was that it was inevitable we would soon play finals because a player as competitive as Patrick Cripps was not going to stand by mediocrity for long. Just been great to see him back to his best. Deserves every accolade, and reckon he might turn on a big performance tonight (reckon the team will lift for him, too).

On the eve of his 150th I can't help but cast my eye back to when he first joined the club. Big chubby kid who was a draft night bolter.

Remember being there for his first game against Melbourne and thinking 'geez, this bloke can't move'. He was slow. Could barely get into a jog let alone out of one.

What looked like another draft blunder has turned out arguably our greatest ever draft pick. You remember that player and look at the player he has become now and it's a different person. And he deserves so much credit for that.

Well done Skip. What a player and a leader you have become. Been through nothing but s**t since arriving at the club, and I'm thrilled we're starting to turn it around with you at the helm.

Not sure we'll win tomorrow night, but am certain we'll be playing for him.
Remember thinking the same thing, and also how "unco" he seemed. Like he had this big tall frame he didn't know how to use properly, which made some sense given his growth spurt I guess.

Think he won most of our hearts though when in the VFL he was on for playing with a broken leg. Didn't take long to see what kind of mentality he had.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Sad that I wasn’t able to have luxury to see many of our greats live, so I can only go off what I’ve felt attending proper the past 20ish years.

Had an essay written but now I’m at the ground and editing skills shaky with nerves, just want to say that Crippa is my favourite, ever and has meant so much to me.

Love you mate, can’t wait to scream your name out tonight & on the concourse post-game for years to come.

Go blues

Sad that I wasn’t able to have luxury to see many of our greats live, so I can only go off what I’ve felt attending proper the past 20ish years.

Had an essay written but now I’m at the ground and editing skills shaky with nerves, just want to say that Crippa is my favourite, ever and has meant so much to me.

Love you mate, can’t wait to scream your name out tonight & on the concourse post-game for years to come.

Go blues
Fair banner, MissBlueBagger93 .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back