Senior 9. Patrick Cripps

Remove this Banner Ad

Tom Browne didn’t want to apologise during tonight’s halftime break for getting it so breathtakingly wrong about Patrick Cripps.

Not so much about the figure or the term, but the doubt over whether he was going to sign.

Ya Dick head.

:rolleyes:
I am sure some insiders feed him mail that is incorrect just to make him look like a fool.

Also couldn’t raise it quick enough that our salary cap with the overpriced trades, McKay / Cripps signings and Weitering/Walsh signings to follow, is at capacity. We cannot afford anyone else and are in trouble signing other kids. Just pure speculation without any facts or due diligence. Can’t listen to these agenda driven imbeciles any longer.

Did he actualy say Carlton has to re-sign Weitering soon? He has 4 years left on his current contract so I doubt Carlton will worry about that for another 3 or 4 years.

He told us numerous times he was going to stay at Carlton, i dont know why people were questioning him. Glad to see he will be a blue for life, praying he is our next premiership captain.

Oh cool, i get to congratulate Cripps for becoming a blue for life, on my 1,000th post :)
'Life' plus an extra year - get it right!

Fantastic news for the Carlton football and a big statement from our captain.

The media love inflating the $$$ of contracts, so for them to be quoting $700-$750,000 it shows a huge sacrifice from Cripps.

This is leading from the front and making a statement, team success is the driving force.

A great news story

Just reaffirms what character I thought he had. I won't lie, amongst the talk around here of him checking out and maybe wanting to be traded I started to waiver, and wondered if maybe we had broken the unbreakable.

But no, he really seems the sort that will take it all upon himself and do anything to help the team get to #17. Yes sometimes onfield he's tried to do too much, but I think a lot of that is him trying to will himself onto the game even when his body hasn't allowed him to.

The greatest aspect of this is it shows that instead of wanting to go elsewhere to an already successful or very near team, he prefers to build something great from the ground up and be a part of that. That is a very admirable trait.

So say it is 750k a year. Could argue on the open market he is worth close to 1m a season for the next 4 at least and possibly 500k or less in his 30s.

Could be a solid win over the next 4 years but questionable in the last 2?

A good deal on balance

Jury out for me on this. For - reputedly left money on table. Against - length of contract. Maybe I’ve got blinkers on.
Look at it this way: most players, even the inside types who've spent their entire careers lifting their teams on their shoulders (see, Priddis) can go at least into their early thirties, and Cripps isn't just a midfielder. They can transition him to a less strenuous third tall if they need to, and towards the end a player who has spent that long at AFL level picks up a trick or two.

See, the improvement of Levi between his 27-30 age. Before that, he was a trier, but in that three year patch he was as useful as Justin Westoff, someone who (in a lot of ways) Port are missing at the moment.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

1990 - our legendary captain Sticks Kernahan ignores the overtures to head home, resists the big money, and re-signs as club captain amidst our worst results in the clubs history. Two GFs and one flag in the following 5 years.

2021 - our legendary captain Patty Cripps ignores the overtures to head home, resists the big money, and re-signs as club captain amidst our worst results in the clubs history. We are in for an exciting 5 years...make no mistake.

Loyalty pays a cultural dividend of success.

I’m neutral on this announcement.
A six year contract of one player may be significant but could just as easily be a millstone around our neck.

I don’t view it as anything to get excited about until he and the club get their s**t together.

This year the comp is very even and any team with any professionalism should be a red hot chance every week…..and we’re nowhere near it. Wallowing near the bottom being viewed as easy beats in 2021 is as bad an outcome as any in the last 20 years.

cripps is the skipper and he laid doggo to get rid of Bolts and he’s been a passenger this year.
BE BETTER.

People should realise Cripps signing for $750k is a culture/dynasty making decision.

This is how the successful clubs of the 2000’s have remained dominant - hawthorn, geelong, Richmond is by players signing for less to keep the group together.

This is a huge statement and shows to our other stars Weiters, Walsh, Harry, Charlie etc that $800k is the max your gonna get and you gotta sacrifice some dollars for success

E4xgz3aVIAA47Gv

I’m neutral on this announcement.
A six year contract of one player may be significant but could just as easily be a millstone around our neck.

I don’t view it as anything to get excited about until he and the club get their sh*t together.

This year the comp is very even and any team with any professionalism should be a red hot chance every week…..and we’re nowhere near it. Wallowing near the bottom being viewed as easy beats in 2021 is as bad an outcome as any in the last 20 years.

cripps is the skipper and he laid doggo to get rid of Bolts and he’s been a passenger this year.
BE BETTER.
I... don't get it.

Only on the Carlton Bigfooty board could one's captain signing on at around 150 thousand under market price and a good 250-400 thousand under what he was being offered until he's 32 be considered a bad thing or something to give one misgivings.

1990 - our legendary captain Sticks Kernahan ignores the overtures to head home, resists the big money, and re-signs as club captain amidst our worst results in the clubs history. Two GFs and one flag in the following 5 years.

2021 - our legendary captain Patty Cripps ignores the overtures to head home, resists the big money, and re-signs as club captain amidst our worst results in the clubs history. We are in for an exciting 5 years...make no mistake.

Loyalty pays a cultural dividend of success.
how's that for a first post? :thumbsu:

Remove this Banner Ad

Back