#9 Ryan Angwin (Pick 18, 2020 National Draft)

Remove this Banner Ad

Nov 23, 2015
AFL Club
GWS

Ryan Angwin​

#9 GWS Giants

Born: December 12, 2002
Origin: Gippsland Power
Height: 185cm
Weight: 74kg
Position: Defender, Midfield
Last Drafted: Round 1, Pick #18 2020 National Draft by GWS Giants

Angwin.png

Isaac Cumming and Ryan Angwin have re-committed for two more years.

Coming into his second season at the GIANTS, hard-running wingman Ryan Angwin has also re-signed through to the end of 2024. The left-footed midfielder was picked at selection 18 in the 2020 NAB AFL Draft and spent his first season developing in the GIANTS’ VFL side where he averaged 15 disposals over nine games.

An elite endurance athlete who is creative with the ball in hand, Angwin is looking to break through for his AFL debut in 2022. GIANTS General Manager of Football Jason McCartney said he was pleased to secure the duo beyond this year. “We’re really excited to be able to lock down two really talented young players for another two years,” he said. “Ryan is another one who we’re pleased to have locked in. His hard work and dedication have seen him continue to improve in both wing and midfield roles since joining the club as he gets closer and closer to an AFL debut. “We’re excited about what the coming years hold for both Isaac and Ryan.”

Angwin debut.png

The GIANTS will unveil another first-round draft pick when Ryan Angwin makes his long-awaited debut against the Western Bulldogs at GIANTS Stadium on Saturday night.

The 19-year-old has been forced to bide his time in the VFL and build his body up to AFL standard – he has added 12kg after arriving at the club weighing just 70kg – since being selected at pick No.18 in the 2020 NAB AFL Draft. But after three eye-catching efforts in the reserves across the past month, interim GIANTS coach Mark McVeigh has produced a surprise selection ahead of round 14.

“You have to be patient, especially me coming up as more of a development player. There is obviously some frustrating times where you think you’re close and then your name doesn’t get read out and circumstances like that,” Angwin told AFL.com.au on Thursday afternoon. “To get an opportunity now, I wouldn’t have it any other way. To have to fight the way I have over the last year and a half, I feel like it has set me up for this moment today.”

Angwin grew up in Foster in Gippsland – a world away from the harbour city – where the population is just north of 1000 people and he took some time adjusting to life in Sydney.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back