Player Watch 9 Shaun Burgoyne

Remove this Banner Ad

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/af...-1225864230390

Shaun Burgoyne in mix for Hawks

974709-shaun-burgoyne.jpg

Shaun Burgoyne is set to make his debut for Hawthorn. Picture: Michael Dodge Source: Herald Sun

HAWTHORN recruit Shaun Burgoyne could make his debut against Richmond on Sunday.

Hawks coach Alastair Clarkson said Burgoyne, who has had to overcome knee, hamstring and jaw injuries, could join Lance Franklin (ankle), Sam Mitchell (hamstring) and Rhan Hooper (hamstring) as inclusions for Hawthorn, which lost to West Coast by eight points at Subiaco on Saturday.
Chance Bateman is sweating on his report for a high hit on Eagles debutant Brad Sheppard and Brent Guerra will need to prove his fitness after suffering a corked thigh.

Great Job Sodapop...........:thumbsu:

Helmet to help Shaun Burgoyne debut with Hawthorn

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/helmet-to-help-shaun-burgoyne-debut-with-hawthorn/story-e6frf9ix-1225865743497

HAWTHORN'S high-profile recruit Shaun Burgoyne will make his long-awaited debut for the club - possibly in a helmet - as one of a raft of changes for Sunday's match against Richmond at the MCG.

Noose...you must get your alerts before me...you're really hot on your updating!
The former Port Adelaide star has been fitted with a helmet after recovering from a broken jaw suffered in a VFL match with Box Hill last month.

The 27-year-old wore the helmet at training yesterday, and will decide in the next few days if he will wear it on Sunday.

Fingers crossed we get to see this man play on Sunday!!!
It'll be worth the travel.

Shaun Burgoyne thrives in the heat of his helmet

http://www.heraldsun.com.au/sport/afl/shaun-burgoyne-thrives-in-the-heat-of-his-helmet/story-e6frf9jf-1225867496967

497555-burgoyne.jpg
[/IMG]

Burgoyne's eight first-quarter possessions off a wing showed the 27-year-old will be an asset.

The player whose best football is comparable to Chris Judd ran out of puff in the second half, but his 20 possessions was an excellent start.

"It's a great win," Burgoyne said. "It got a bit tight at the end, but a win's a win, so we will take the positives out of that.

"I will pick up my match fitness in the next few weeks and my game time will get better. I wanted to play straight away at a new club, and the team was losing, and the pressure builds on the team and individuals, so I just wanted to play. And I was very happy to come in and play my part today."

Nice first up start...can't wait to see him hit his straps!

Strange sensation for Burgoyne

http://www.hawthornfc.com.au/news/newsarticle/tabid/4742/newsid/95851/default.aspx

Haw_BurgPtA_246a.jpg

HAWTHORN recruit Shaun Burgoyne has admitted he found it strange running out to take on his former Port Adelaide teammates for the first time.

Burgoyne collected 14 possessions and laid seven tackles as the Hawks ground out an 11-point win over his old club at the MCG on Sunday.

“I had some mixed emotions before the game,” Burgoyne said.

“I had some wonderful years there and I am starting out my career here. It felt like I was playing with my brothers against my brothers.

“It was weird for me. The (Hawthorn) boys were fantastic during the game and during the week, giving me confidence, and backing me up. I was just trying to play my role.”

While Burgoyne’s form has been patchy in recent weeks, he can’t complain about the results since he came into the Hawthorn team in round eight.

The Hawks have won all four of their matches since then, recovering from a 1-6 start to the season to grab a spot in the top eight at the halfway mark of the season.

“Four from four, yeah,” Burgoyne said with a smile. “But the guys have been working pretty hard on the track. There were areas we needed to work on and it's showing, because we are getting these wins. It's all about hard work.”

Hawthorn coach Alastair Clarkson said he was looking for improvement from Burgoyne in the second half of the season.

“He’s nowhere near the dominant player we know he can be,” Clarkson admitted.

“He didn’t have an enormous amount of the footy today, but the quality of those touches that he did have was pretty important for us.

“He’s played very little footy for the best part of 18 months now and he’s working his way back into it.

“We’re really pleased to have him at our footy club, and we think that when he gets up and going in the second half of the season, he’ll be a really valuable contributor for us.”

there is still so much we havnt seen from burgouyne its mouth watering, mostly im looking foward to his goal kicking ability from midfield which we havnt seen yet, expecially when he breaks out of a pack takes a bounce and kicks a goal, seen it many times with port cnt wait to see it with hawthorn

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Round 15 2011 Hawks V Collingwood MCG Sun 3rd July

Stats:
12 Kicks, 9 handpasses, 4 marks, 2 tackles. He received 0 freekicks and had 1 awarded against him. He kicked 0 goals and 3 points.

Round 20 2011 Hawks V Kangaroos Aurora Stadium Sun 7th Aug

Stats:
14 Kicks, 3 handpasses, 3 marks, 2 tackles. He received 1 freekicks and had 1 awarded against him. He kicked 1 goal.

Re: 2011 Player Review -SUGGESTED FORMAT NOW IN FIRST POST - Post your reviews here - DUE NOW!!!!

Shaun_Burgoyne.jpg

Guernsey number: 9
Height: 186cm
Weight: 88kg
DoB: 21/10/1982
Draft History: 2000 National AFL Draft 1st round selection (Port Adelaide) No. 12 overall on-traded by Hawthorn to Adelaide for Matthew Bode and No. 48 (Matthew Smith); 2009 NAB AFL Draft traded by Port Adelaide for No. 9 (Andrew Moore) and No. 16 (Jasper Pittard).

2011 Season:
Games: 24 (197 career)
Goals: 16 (194 career)
Kicks: 230 (9.6 Avg)
Handballs: 212 (8.8 Avg)
Marks: 90 (3.8 Avg)
Tackles: 77 (3.2 Avg)
Hit-outs: 5 (0.2 Avg)
Supercoach Price: 1678pts $328,800 (- 155,500)
Dreamteam Price: 1506pts $261,500 (- 108,400)

Best and Fairest: 86 votes (10th)

Season Highlights
- 25 disps (18 kicks 7 hballs), 6 marks and 5 tackles in Preliminary Final 3-pt loss to Collingwood at the MCG (23 Sep 2011)
- 24 disps (14 kicks 10 hballs), 9 marks and a goal in Rd 23 46-pt win over the Western Bulldogs at the MCG (27 Aug 2011)
- 21 disps (12 kicks 9 hballs), 6 marks and 4 goals in Rd 2 45-pt win over Melbourne at the MCG (3 Apr 2011)
- 23 disps (10 kicks 13 hballs), 3 marks and 3 goals in Rd 1 20-pt loss to Adelaide at AAMI Stadium (26 Mar 2011)

2011 must have been frustrating for Shaun Burgoyne; or perhaps it would have been for a lesser man. Whilst in 2010 his fitness let him down & conspired towards his mediocre (by his standards) year, 2011 saw a Burgoyne that was fit enough to run out in 24 games. I say it must have been frustrating, as besides his obvious fitness, he was rarely used in a position that allowed him the use of his exquisite skills or burst of pace that put fear into sides through mid to late of our last decade.

I say it would have frustrated a lesser man, as Burgoyne showed a willingness & complete commitment to playing HBF most of the year - a role that whilst not suiting him per se, was required by the team. This commitment should not be forgotten when assessing Burgoyne's year. With a backline lacking structure & some of it's bigger names, Burgoyne worked tirelessly to play his role & provide a level head with good disposal, & to right the ship that may otherwise have been decimated by injuries to Stratton & Gilham. Whilst nothing should be taken away from guns like Gibson, the backline performed far better with Burgoyne present than it would have done had he played midfield & starred.

Stats alone don't tell of his impact on games, as is evident by the 'Season Highlights' above. Whilst he played well in the Prelim Final, most Hawks will remember his efforts against North Melbourne in Tasmania (Rnd 20) as his best game for the year. His poise & class across HB kept us in the game for parts & his going on to the ball in the 4th Quarter (& masterful efforts from Franklin et al.) was a catalyst for what ended up a good win.

In posting in another thread I selected Burgoyne as who I expected to star in 2012.

Going into 2012, with the return of Stratton & Gilham; the drafting of Boumann; & the jet performers of 2011 in Gibson & Birchall (& other performers in Goo / Schoey); our backline is well placed to be self-sufficient without the likes of Hodge or Burgoyne being required as cover.

IMO, Burgoyne is an out & out champion midfielder & I can't wait to see him used as such. He is too good to be used as a HFF alone, & with the emergence of Popeye as a small forward; Gunston as a 3rd tall; & Breust & Whitecross standing up as HFF; there is no need to park him there to give us a target.

I expect to see Burgoyne as a midfielder in 2012. I expect to see him get a bit of bench time, & to see him float forward to rest, but his main role will be as a clearance-dominating machine. His smooth hands & blistering acceleration (& big body) will see him win clearance after clearance; & his silky skills will feed our outside players in a manner they haven't seen in a long time.

Burgoyne's statistics should not be the measure of his 2012, & it will likely only be Hawks supporters & defeated opposition players/coaches that really appreciate the impact that he has on games. I would be surprised to see him rack up more than 25 possessions a game from here on in, but his leadership & teamwork with our midfield group containing Mitchell, Hodge, Sewell, Lewis, Cyril, Smith & Savage will see his return to the danger he previously posed teams & make believers of Hawks fans who thought his price too high when we snared him from port.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back