Player Watch #9: Trent Cotchin is an obscenely good 3 x Premiership Captain, Victorian Captain & Brownlow Medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

Wait people don't want the guy described in the thread title as our captain? Wtf
I want him as captain! I would love him to be captain until the day he retires, but I have a funny feeling he’ll stand down a year or two before he retires.

Where the hell did this discussion come from - FMD, we throw crap at the media when they draw a long bow from snippets of info and now we are discussing Captaincy options???
WTF
Discussions take place, we are dealing with humans with emotions who in the heat of moments might raise options...
& dads who will say things to support their kids regardless of the circumstances...

The problem is that this becomes fodder for the commentators and opinionators.

Cotch is undoubtedly the nucleus of the culture that has led to our success - the very success that we have all basked in.

He actually to me looks, if possible, even more measured and calm about his role and the teams opportunities this year.

For what it is worth I don't have too many issues with Brooke's dad answering questions about pressures his daughter and son-in-law are facing in tough times (although, why the hell he was sought out for comment anyway)
& I don't have too many issues with Benny Gale's wife defending the club and him.

At the end of the day I reckon we are being galvanised by all of the dialogue anyway - it is bringing us together.

Mark my words - we got this - we will win the comp. this year....

Trent Cotchin applauded for his decision to remain in Tigers hub after COVID breach drama
Richmond’s Trent Cotchin has been lauded for his decision to stay in the Tigers hub and coach Damien Hardwick says as a result the skipper has rediscovered Brownlow Medal form.
Lauren Wood and Russell Gould, Herald Sun

Subscriber only
|
September 1, 2020 5:24pm
Trent Cotchin has delivered a season as good as his Brownlow-winning year.

Trent Cotchin has delivered a season as good as his Brownlow-winning year.
MORE IN sport

‘Heart breaks’: What stirred Eddie’s emotional departure?

The free agent Crows should let walk

Axed Docker wants trade to big Vic club

similars

Richmond skipper Trent Cotchin “didn’t take long to realise” that staying in the team hub in the wake of wife Brooke’s COVID-19 protocol breach was the best option, according to Tigers chief Brendon Gale.
And he has delivered a season as good as his Brownlow-winning 2012 campaign, his coach has declared.
It emerged this week that the skipper had considered removing his family from the team hub environment as criticism mounted following Brooke Cotchin’s trip to a Gold Coast day spa that resulted in a $20,000 bill from the AFL due to a rule breach.
Kayo is your ticket to the 2020 Toyota AFL Premiership Season. Watch every match of every round Live & On-Demand. New to Kayo? Get your 14-day free trial & start streaming instantly >
But while Gale — who was involved in conversations with Cotchin and coach Damien Hardwick relating to any potential departure — said there had been significant pressure, he backed his captain.
Richmond’s Trent Cotchin has been applauded by his club for staying in the hub.

Richmond’s Trent Cotchin has been applauded by his club for staying in the hub.
“I think back on the time when that situation of the COVID breach occurred, it brought a great deal of pressure and angst on Brooke and the entire family,” Gale said on Tuesday.

“Trent Cotchin is a wonderful captain and wonderful player, but most importantly he’s an incredible husband and father and family is first, second, third and fourth.

“Obviously there was a brief period when he contemplated returning home with the family, if that was the right thing for the family, but it didn’t take too long to realise the right thing for the family was to all be together in Queensland in our hub supporting each other.

“He’s doing a wonderful job as our captain and he’s in really good form at the moment.”

The Tigers chief executive’s wife Jane launched a staunch defence of the club on Sunday, declaring that Trent and Brooke had always had the full support of the club.

Hardwick conceded that Cotchin had been doing it “tough” in the hub, and that it made him “emotional” to consider the skipper’s importance to the club.

“I think he’s had his best year since his Brownlow year (2012). Every game he has played he has been incredible for us,” Hardwick said on Tuesday.

Cotchin has hit career best form since being located in Queensland.

Cotchin has hit career best form since being located in Queensland.
Cotchin and Oleg Markov share a laugh at a training session.

Cotchin and Oleg Markov share a laugh at a training session.
“He’s done it tough up here at stages but I look at the way he has led this football club, I get a little bit emotional talking about this guy because of what him and his family bring to us. There’s no doubt he’s a big reason we are where we are.”

Hardwick said there was a “conversation” with Cotchin about potentially leaving when the criticism was at its heaviest.

“Trent as a family man will always do what’s best for his family and we are very much a club that is aligned to those values. We won’t ask a person to put themselves above their family,” Hardwick said.

“Trent had some decisions to make and he’s very supportive of his family as we are of Trent. Probably 90 per cent of the people up here at some stage have gone “it’s hard” and maybe thought about going home.

“But the reality is Trent has stuck fat, his family has stuck fat and we are incredibly supportive of both.”

Gale flew to Queensland to join the team’s hub yesterday, joined by premiership player Shane Edwards who he has been training in recent weeks with an eye to playing as soon as Round 18.

Star midfielder Dion Prestia remains on antibiotics after an infection in his ankle following surgery and while Hardwick said he could return for finals, it would be unlikely to see him play before that.

Have a read people, explains the situation.

Rowdydave.

"The trials of captain Cotchin"
You know...Caro really needs to stop writing about the Tigers...it is always a clear conflict of interests for her...one way or the other...

I picture her running around the club as a kid, playing with the other tigers kids...and I reckon there must have been a rogue game of doctors and nurses with her and the schwabb kids...because boy has she gone hard at cameron over the years

"The trials of captain Cotchin"
You know...Caro really needs to stop writing about the Tigers...it is always a clear conflict of interests for her...one way or the other...

I picture her running around the club as a kid, playing with the other tigers kids...and I reckon there must have been a rogue game of doctors and nurses with her and the schwabb kids...because boy has she gone hard at cameron over the years
Its a strange article. Think there are a lot of digs at cotch and the club too. Appears we are on the nose. I like it. Want the asterisk premiership more and more.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

trent did go through his trying to be tough days-were he was a filthy antagonist on field. I didn't like watching play back in that time. its only the last few years that he found himself, partly he says thanks to dusty.
What a load of bullshit . His biggest thug incident and potentially the only time he has missed games was a incident involving Sam Wright and when he wasn’t dating Brooke .

Its a strange article. Think there are a lot of digs at cotch and the club too. Appears we are on the nose. I like it. Want the asterisk premiership more and more.
The story regarding Brooke Cotchin brought into question journo’s stalking people upon social media for a story . Journo’s don’t like being held accountable and are very negative toward and target anyone who brings journo accountability into the spotlight . .

Last edited:
What a load of bullshit . His biggest thug incident and potentially the only time he has missed games was a incident involving Sam Wright and when he wasn’t dating Brooke .

I suggest you watch some old games.
Cotch lost his way, everyone who pays attention knows this except you.

Cotch and Dimma needs to get the team together and make a point this Stack/CCJ episode cannot break us.

Its disappointing, those feelings of the players and staff are to be expected and we are disappointed because we care and we care about each other. We also care that these type of events will not defeat us and we will be stronger together looking after each other and increase our resolve in our quest for our next premiership!!

We have to allow these type of events drive us to be stronger but try not to make a habit of this type of straying by looking after each other and check on each other to make sure we are all good and not getting to wayward in the challenges we face in the hub which are clearly a little different in different times!!

Its okay for each of us to have our space and time off but we need to ensure in our current quest, team first and look after each other!!

Hub reference wasn’t intended to be directed solely to you , on reflection can see how that was assumed .

Looking forward to seeing these thug incidents ?
look buddy im not going to spend hours drumming them up for you, i used to watch every game twice over even when we were getting hammered.
Cotchin went from good boy image - got some criticism with the press for not being tough enough.
Then he went through a fake tough guy stage, I hated his play at that stage and so did he - until dusty came along. Dusty helped him.
Then he found himself at became a great captain and leader he is today.

look buddy im not going to spend hours drumming them up for you, i used to watch every game twice over even when we were getting hammered.
Cotchin went from good boy image - got some criticism with the press for not being tough enough.
Then he went through a fake tough guy stage, I hated his play at that stage and so did he - until dusty came along. Dusty helped him.
Then he found himself at became a great captain and leader he is today.
You are not going to go drumming them up because they don’t exist , stop trying to slur one of the clubs greats .

Remove this Banner Ad

Back