Player Watch #9: Trent Cotchin is an obscenely good 3 x Premiership Captain, Victorian Captain & Brownlow Medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

The original post was a simple photo on an instastory - the only way to know an instastory is available is if you follow the person who has posted said instastory or deliberately search for a particular person to see if they have posted an instastory - once you have discovered there is an instastory, to view that instastory you actually have to click onto the circle which indicates the instastory is available to view. ie: if you choose to seek it out and then choose to read it and then want to complain about what you have chosen to seek out and read - more a reflection on the person doing the choosing rather than the person doing the posting.
I know how to use Instagram smartass. I don't follow Brooke. I'm not interested in her content. I only went and had a look because it was mentioned here.

The instastory is only available to be seen if you happen to view it within 24 hours of it being posted. The actual proverb used to reflect the situation was "It never rains but it pours." It was not a cryptic message, it was quite simply an accurate description of what was happening at that particular moment in time for the family.
Its not an accurate description at all. She deliberately didn't say what was going on in order to gain a response. The kid could have been dying for all anyone knew. Family, friends, fans of hers and fans of the club were left worried that something very very bad was happening. She didn't need to do that.

The idea that someone is an "influencer" to excuse the bullying, belittling, misogynistic attitudes shown towards Brooke Cotchin is absolutely disgusting and a sad reflection on society as a whole. As far as assuming Brooke Cotchin is an "influencer", perhaps check out what a Bec Judd or Nadia Bartel Instagram page looks like in relation to the Instagram page of Brooke to get a clearer idea.
I have never said this. In fact, I said that the fact that she is an influencer has nothing to do with it. She could be a friend on my Facebook feed and I would still be against such use of social media. I haven't bullied her either. I've just said that I disagree with how she uses social media. I agree that the vile messages she's received are also unacceptable. My issue is a completely different one. It has nothing to do with her "making Trent come home" as these horrible trolls are insinuating. Its about her using her daughter's illness to fuel speculation and thus gain attention rather than just saying exactly what is going on and not leaving everyone to worry about the family.

Brooke isn’t an influencer
Influencers shill products and use social media as a way to create revenue for themselves
The only think close to that is that she posts about the gym they own

She’s a public figure but definitely not an influencer
Just take some time to compare the social media pages and feeds of say Mia Feveola and Brooke and you will easily see the difference
Isn't Mia's just full of pics of the latest bloke plowing her? Or have I been misled?

All the boomers melting about a social media post and calling her a attention seeker
Social media is a tool to get information out to a lot of people quickly
It’s a lot easier than sending out a mass text message or trying to think of everyone she knows that may care her daughter is sick
The post was more aimed towards the friends and family who would care and appreciate having that information who also follow her feeds

People CHOOSE to follow her cause they want to know about what’s going on in her and Trents life and she made a post about just that
Yeah... Fair point. She perhaps back to my previous post, not expect the media to get a hold of it and blow the story up?

Yeah... Fair point. She perhaps back to my previous post, not expect the media to get a hold of it and blow the story up?
Media would of got ahold of it anyway and found a way to turn it into a story
People with private accounts still get story’s screenshoted and leaked anyway or some gutter jurno would of found out about the child’s hospitalisation another way

Even if the cotchins had kept things under wraps imagine the bullshit that would of started to spread if Trent had flown home
People would be saying there is a rift in the club or a falling out between Cotch and Dimma or some bullshit

At least with her post they control the message and it comes out on their terms and not the media’s

Isn't Mia's just full of pics of the latest bloke plowing her? Or have I been misled?
All adds these days
Use offer code mudmoose to get $10 off your next order

Media would of got ahold of it anyway and found a way to turn it into a story
People with private accounts still get story’s screenshoted and leaked anyway or some gutter jurno would of found out about the child’s hospitalisation another way

Even if the cotchins had kept things under wraps imagine the bullshit that would of started to spread if Trent had flown home
People would be saying there is a rift in the club or a falling out between Cotch and Dimma or some bullshit

At least with her post they control the message and it comes out on their terms and not the media’s
Best way to "control the message" would've been to tell it how it is.

Brooke isn’t an influencer
Influencers shill products and use social media as a way to create revenue for themselves
The only think close to that is that she posts about the gym they own

She’s a public figure but definitely not an influencer
Just take some time to compare the social media pages and feeds of say Mia Feveola and Brooke and you will easily see the difference
Happy to be corrected on that. I was basing calling her an influencer on her being reported as that in news articles. At the time of the day spa thing it was reported that she was a wellness influencer I think.

Best way to "control the message" would've been to tell it how it is.
She said the kid was in hospital
That’s how much she wanted to share it’s the family’s choice how much or how little they want people to know

It could be a delicate issue
Maybe they didn’t know exactly what was wrong and needed further testing
Or maybe she just didn’t want to tell people
Just because others would of shared more or less doesn't make it right or wrong

Well I've lost too much time on this that I am never getting back already.

Time to focus on Trent.
He's the ultimate professional. Business as usual I'm sure from him. Will have the players ready to bring the heat I'm sure.
Who’s Trent?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Brook Cotchin is not an influencer.
Ppl must choose to follow her, not the other way around.
It was a 'story', it doesn't last and no media outlets or Co's were tagged in order to gain anything out of it.
All it could ever have gained was let her followers know, the people who choose to follow her, that her kid is crook.
it could have come and gone in the blink of an eye with no thought beyond 'oh, hope their kid is ok'
....but no. It has to be scrutinized no end.
Tall poppy syndrome is outrageously strong in this country.

She's not an influencer.

The's the daughter of an established AFL player.

And the wife of an established AFL player.

She also happens to have children.

She carries on so much you can see how desperate she is be seen and heard.

Couldn't agree more. The LAST photo I would be putting on social media would be one of my child in hospital. Accepting an award, doing a performance it having fun at a BBQ. Suck in hospital is call/email or text to family members.

This was motivated by something different. "The football world needs to know, especially Richmond supporters, Trent's daughter is in hospital and her father is NOT here." I am not even going to try to analyse her motivation from there - there would a range of them - mostly originating from concern for her daughter. But to put Trent in that situation was wrong on so many levels. He needs to ban her from social media. It's not healthy for her or the family.
Should he tell her to stay in the kitchen and only speak when spoke to aswell?

barely read through the last pages didn't realise i was reading a gossip magazine, few precious people in here

let people do what they want and go on about your day, only reason she posted about it is because people won't leeave her be so she's gotta justify everything because of gossipy campaigners and the # media

That's pretty deep for a 5yr old.

A lot of kids are very aware at a young age - My son could tell i was very unhappy at the same age when i was living with chronic depression - kids are not dumb. The same kid at 7 says things like he likes it a lot better now i dont work at my former job as i was always unhappy. Kids are with you everyday & at that age all they want to do is please their parents and be the apple of their eye. Quite often when "the kids go to bed" & the adults get to talk - the kids not asleep and listening to your conversations - at 5 years old their entire existence is for their mum and their dad. You being happy with them is paramount & they literally are taking notes on you as they go - thats how they learn. Kids are pretty bloody smart these days & much more intune with their feelings and of those around them.

People saying she is using her kids sickness and Trents work situation to "pump up her clickbait" are jerks - sorry, but you are. You are most likely not someone who has a speck of understanding of how social media works, what an influencer is & also the psychology of how people suffering from the desperation that comes from massive anxiety use social media to express things they feel are misunderstood - yep, it might not be a healthy reaction, but anxiety will cause people to do pretty illogical things. She comes across to me completely as being someone who is asking for help, love & support.

The Cotchins have given a massive part of their life to playing a key role in our success as a club, which us supporters are benefiting from - stop being assholes and just support her, or just dont comment at all.

I personally would support and encourage Trent to just stay with his family ATM - his family have given up enough for "us" - it saddens me a bit that he would choose to stay with the club instead as it shows a bit of an unhealthy relationship with his career. I think he could do worse things than give Alex Rance a call right now about the dangers of being that way

Remove this Banner Ad

Back