Player Watch #9: Trent Cotchin is an obscenely good 3 x Premiership Captain, Victorian Captain & Brownlow Medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

I wasn't able to watch live so watched a replay and had already seen some of the criticisms
I wouldn't have said he stunk it up , but was down on what we'd like from him , he didn't look to have heavy legs like last year
I saw two cotchin centre bounce possessions where the disposal was smoothed, and of course they turned into clearances for the blues, they might have been enough to stop that momentum swing the Blues got in the last

He has tended to let his footy do the talking , especially in 3rd qtrs , lets see how he fares this week before we book him into an Aged Care facility LOL
he did ok this week :):thumbsu:

I thought he let his actions speak in yesterday's game. His hardness at the ball, his second efforts and his positive uplifting feedback to the younger players were exemplary. This is why he provides so much value to this team, it's not just his physical output that he should be measured on. Having him out on the ground is educational to this next breed of mid-fielders and hopefully accelerates their development.
Been pivotal to the development and support for one D. Martin as well. As we are aware Dustin Martin requires that support around him to function at his best, Cotchin has been there for him from day 1 and will need to be there in the future for Martin to resume and be at his best.

I think it's pretty clear that Cotchin will be a massive part of any success that we have this year. My biggest concern is that given his injury history and his extremely physical style of play he might be shot by the end of the year. It's not common in afl but I think we need to think very seriously about giving him regular rests throughout the season (e.g. plays 2/3 or 3/4 weeks). If we're not good enough to make finals without him we're probably not going to win anything anyway, and I'm confident that if we can get into big finals he'll be inspirational for us. Obviously much harder if have injuries to prestia, lambert, edwards etc.

I think it's pretty clear that Cotchin will be a massive part of any success that we have this year. My biggest concern is that given his injury history and his extremely physical style of play he might be shot by the end of the year. It's not common in afl but I think we need to think very seriously about giving him regular rests throughout the season (e.g. plays 2/3 or 3/4 weeks). If we're not good enough to make finals without him we're probably not going to win anything anyway, and I'm confident that if we can get into big finals he'll be inspirational for us. Obviously much harder if have injuries to prestia, lambert, edwards etc.

Rotating the squad soccer / basketball style isn't the worst idea

Cotch fan but sheesh today he was sooo ordinary. His disposal and decision making was horrid.

time time to say night night...not helping the team when players are underdone or cooked. cotchiin was a battering ram for years...how is his body holiding up ?

(Log in to remove this ad.)

I thought he was pretty good again today. Some people need to lower their expectations of the great man. He simply can't play the way he used to but he's still doing the heavy lifting when he shouldn't be. We'd be far worse off without him playing atm.
its counter productive though

Looked extremely ineffective today and thats not just in the last quarter

His kicks , taps and handballs were all terrible and his timing looked lost.

Clearly this will be his and a few others last year

Im predicting he is 1 serious Hamstring injury away from retiring

Think Chimp is missing Dusty tbh.
It's like Batman and Robin, Starsky and Hutch, Cagney and Lacey. The list goes on.
Chol and Casboult

anyone got a gif of that play on the members wing where he just destroyed Smith
and set up a goal?
Cotchin harasses Bailey Smith, taps to a running Balta pickup one handed and streak away, kick I50 to Lynch who protects space nicely and gets the crumbing goal

Remove this Banner Ad

Back