Player Watch #9: Trent Cotchin is an obscenely good 3 x Premiership Captain, Victorian Captain & Brownlow Medalist

Remove this Banner Ad

Trent Cotchin says he’s just like any other dad

The Richmond captain juggled work this week in an attempt to get to daughter Harper’s kindergarten Father’s Day brunch, not long after carrying the hopes of more than 100,000 Richmond members at the MCG.

Father’s Day this year will start with footy training, followed by lunch and some cuddles with his two daughters.

The work-life juggle is a fine balance. A challenging one, as for any parent. “We try to spend as much time as possible with them,” Cotchin says of Harper and her sister, Mackenzie. “We’ve just gone through a phase where both of them had different challenges for different reasons.

5d8311d5a334d4581e012733605bd6b3

9f0038f3d2d5f8449b4d697803771f9d

“I think Harper’s your typical near-four-year-old that’s seeking more independence but also needs attention with that. Mackenzie has just hit two, so she’s definitely ‘terrible twos’, but I feel like she’s been in a terrible two for six months already.”

However, he jokes how just a change of facial expression or a cuddle from his beloved little Tiger tamers can dissolve any irritation.

“That’s kids. That’s their job. The thing I love most about them is how authentic they are. They don’t know any different and that’s what I love learning from them.”

Cotchin, 28, considers himself a “blend” of old-school and new-style parent, but concedes he leaves a lot of the “tough” stuff to wife Brooke.

He’s the softer touch, encouraging the girls to be given “one more chance” before any discipline is considered.

“I’m hands-on and I love being involved as often as I can,” he says.

“I think mums are the most amazing people in the world to do everything that they do along with their own challenges in life. I try to take a load off Brooke as often as I can.”

The balance can be difficult to strike, especially in Cotchin’s own mind.

There is guilt, sometimes, as football fights with fatherhood in his schedule.

Cotchin knows it is football that provides his family with fantastic opportunities, but that doesn’t make it any easier.

“I feel guilty at times,” he says. “During footy season, our family’s life revolves around me — even my day off, whether it’s a two-hour massage, or like Harper’s kinder was doing a Father’s Day thing this week and I didn’t know my schedule until (Sunday night).

“So Brooke has to organise someone else to be there just in case I’m not. I feel guilty.

“The club’s pretty good, normally, with those sorts of things and they do have some flexibility.”

The varying experiences of the two girls’ arrivals couldn’t be more stark. Harper was born in the off-season.

“So we’d had her for five months where I could get used to it all before I started playing footy,” Cotchin says.

b0761990a8160421aa8db9f77ab29278

1a0dac9c2c0b72404116b50dc25a540c

When Mackenzie Foxx, now 2, arrived, Cotchin admits timing proved difficult.

It was June 2016 and the Tiger had recently endured a kidney infection that saw him hospitalised as questions about the club’s leadership swirled.

Having reached finals in the previous three seasons, the hard midfielder struggled with what he described as a “perfect” perception of himself and vulnerability and anxieties in the role.

Brooke went public in her support of her husband, who later admitted a “black cloud” had hung over much of his season as he grappled with the captain he wanted to become.

“We had Kenzie at the end of June (in 2016), just after the bye,” Cotchin says.

“It was well-documented that that was one of my most challenging years of football and
as a captain, so it sort of feels like that was a bit of a blur, which is a little bit of a regret.

“I’d like to think we have a pretty special and unique relationship now.”

Richmond finished 13th that year, and an attempted challenge on the Richmond board was launched soon after as Cotchin battled in his endeavour to “never bring football or football’s issues home”.

“Which I think I do a pretty good job of,” he says. “There’s also an element that you need to share, so that you can get help.
Just finding that balance is a challenge, but it’s something I’m working on.

“I was always pretty good — once I walked in the door at home, I tried not to speak about footy.

“And then 2016 was a year that was a challenge, but also an amazing learning experience. So I probably brought it home too much then. But in saying that, I didn’t talk about the things that I was really struggling with.”

Routine consumes both football life and the family unit, Cotchin admits, leaving him at somewhat of a loose end when he finally finds some spare time.

“So much of our life is routine, even with the girls,” he says. “And then when I have a moment of free time, I just end up overwhelmed with spare time. What do I do with this? And I end up doing nothing.”

d04c4dca4208a02eb497f4571d410088

ac0cae76518c7fa5e21d4ee34d02718e

Cotchin always knew he wanted children. He and wife Brooke married at a private property on the Mornington Peninsula in December 2013 and Harper Foxx was born the following September.

Both girls have the middle name Foxx, which Cotchin has explained is so they will always share a name, even if their surnames change when they’re older.

“I’ve always loved kids,” Cotchin says.

“Brooke was also keen on the idea, which is probably why we had kids younger than most people do. We have a lot of older friends who had kids while we were younger as well.”

There have been a lot of lessons since then, with few greater than to appreciate — to put
it in football terms — the “one-percenters”.

“The biggest one is probably not to take yourself too seriously, because it always catches up with you,” Cotchin says.

“I’ve learned to appreciate the enjoyment of the little things.

“You forget how good just a scooter down to the park is. You think that you need to give your kids all these great and amazing experiences, but the reality is, they’re just thankful to spend time with you and do the things you did as a kid.”

Parenting advice came thick and fast, particularly early.

Cotchin is tentative to dish out any of his own to friends who are currently embarking on parenthood, saying, “I know what it’s like to have 1000 ideas coming at you.”

One element of parenting that has changed significantly in recent years is social media, and given Trent and Brooke’s combined follower count of more than 125,000, it is something
the pair have had to discuss.

But Cotchin has learned that sometimes to share is to share more than a picture — it’s about sharing experiences known to many other parents.

Last year’s hilarious Instagram video of Cotchin and daughter Harper dancing in their loungeroom to Troye Sivan’s I’ll Be There For You was one example.

The choreography didn’t quite go to plan, with Cotchin’s lift, spin and catch of Harper missing the final component.

“The reason people love where I dropped Harper when we were dancing is just because I’m not just a footballer — I’m a dad and I think most dads would have done it,” Cotchin says with a smile.

“But some probably aren’t brave enough to share on social media.

“It happens to all of us. As an athlete, you’re trying to connect with the world, but
also trying to show people that there’s a massive human aspect to being a footballer.

“That’s the majority of my conversations now — ‘How are your girls going?’ I don’t like talking about myself, so that’s good.”

His concern isn’t with the prospect of having two teenage girls preparing to face the world in
the coming years, but “how the world might look in 15 years’ time”.

981fb2a16215c55369650d448d417f66

The family is one of open arms.

Superstar Brownlow medallist Dustin Martin lived with the Cotchins for a period, with the Tigers skipper opening up to the Herald Sun at the end of last season about the “real” Dusty, behind the tattoos and champagne-spraying.

He was misunderstood, Cotchin wrote, and taught his mate “the value and virtue of being yourself”. One thing that can’t be misunderstood is the bond Martin and fellow Tiger Brandon Ellis — who is currently living at the Cotchin abode — share with Harper and Mackenzie.

After last Saturday’s four-point win over the Western Bulldogs at the MCG, the girls were first to burst into Richmond’s inner sanctum after the song was sung, helping Dad as he applied his obligatory ice packs before being scooped up by Martin and Ellis as Cotchin watched on with a smile.

Brooke uses words like “our hero” to describe her husband on social media, writing upon his recent re-signing that, “It’s a pleasure watching you do what you love. Very grateful.”

She is always there in the MCG rooms, too, after a Richmond win.

There have been 21 straight at the hallowed stadium, with a premiership defence campaign looming in this month’s finals series.

Football is, after all, a game for the entire family. And it’s a game the girls are growing
to understand.

Their presence often brings Cotchin some perspective in the all-consuming AFL landscape.

“If you do happen to have a loss, then the next day you’re still up at 7, and get back to routine. It is an escape,” he says.

Sharing last year’s Grand Final glory was a highlight, and one Cotchin says Harper is almost as keen as any Tigers player to replicate.

“Harper thinks every time we talk about going to footy or playing footy, she’s like, ‘(Are we getting another) premiership cup?’,” Cotchin laughs.

“It’s not that easy, honey. But we are working on doing it all again.”

Is there anything this bloke doesnt do well?

According to this all players will wear 2 black arm bands in memory of Varcos Sister and Sloanes little boy.
Players to support Varcoe, Sloane families - http://m.afl.com.au/news/2018-09-05/players-to-support-varcoe-sloane-families
This should be the big story but it will be hidden under the Tom Lynch news.

Svaka čast Trent - more than a captain. Football aside, a class act.

Trent already an all time Tiger legend.

P.S Amazing footballer too.

Sent from my Pixel using Tapatalk

HIGHLIGHT
Captain Cotch's call to honour grieving mates

A CALL from Richmond captain Trent Cotchin was the catalyst that will see all players in AFL Finals this weekend pay tribute to the loss suffered by two of the game's stars.

All players in action in the first week of the finals will wear two black armbands.

Players will be acknowledging the memory of Margaret Varcoe, sister of Travis Varcoe and Leo Sloane, baby son of Rory Sloane.

League chief Gillon McLachlan said the entire AFL industry's thoughts were with the two families after their tragic losses.

cotch.jpg

“Some things go so far above this game we play and everything that goes with it,” McLachlan said.

AFLPA boss Paul Marsh said Cotchin instigated the move.

“Rory and Travis are two very popular members of the playing group and this gesture, albeit small, shows the level of respect players from across the competition have for each other,” Marsh said.

“I would like to also acknowledge Trent Cotchin who instigated this action.

"He contacted Gillon and I on Friday to float the idea and ask whether we could organise the players and clubs.

“Our thoughts continue to be with Rory and Travis and we’re here to support them now and into the future.”

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Voss a good comparison on the field but he's unique as an on/off field leader. So humble and introspective off and 'The toughest Tiger of them all' on field. There's honestly been no other player like him. Maybe Rob Harvey if I had to pick one.

Voss a good comparison on the field but he's unique as an on/off field leader. So humble and introspective off and 'The toughest Tiger of them all' on field. There's honestly been no other player like him. Maybe Rob Harvey if I had to pick one.
From all reports, Rob Harvey was a selfish campaigner

Remove this Banner Ad

Back