Player Watch #9 Will Hayward

OJ091219MW2517.JPG

Will Hayward
Spritely Sydney Swans forward Will Hayward enjoyed a rocketing start to his career as he became the 11th-youngest player in the AFL era to reach 50 career goals in 2018. The 2016 draftee’s nippy pace and cunning goal awareness have made him a dangerous option in coach John Longmire’s forward line. A broken jaw and a persistent hip injury limited Hayward to just 12 goals in 13 senior games in 2019, but the South Australian is attacking the 2020 campaign on the back of his first full pre-season. Don’t be surprised if the exciting Swan finds himself on a wing this year.

Will Hayward
DOB: 26 October 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #21, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Walkerville (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

So if he becomes a 40 goal per season forward that would make him better than Mitchell?

I would think so.

Others might disagree.

Honestly I don't trust Horse with SF's after what he has done to Papley. Just my 2 cents.

Papley was/is good in the middle in stints, but sure, it has been a little bit of overkill.
Then again our mids were pretty ordinary at times so we can't complain about Horse doing nothing then complain about him doing something, can we?

SilentHunter_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 15, 2014
Terra firma
AFL Club
Sydney
The only problem with Hayward in the forward line is his lack of defensive pressure. As a small I'd say you have to add that to your game. None of our forwards are capable of it (well Papley was but ... we all know what happened there).

SilentHunter_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 15, 2014
Terra firma
AFL Club
Sydney
Papley was/is good in the middle in stints, but sure, it has been a little bit of overkill.
Then again our mids were pretty ordinary at times so we can't complain about Horse doing nothing then complain about him doing something, can we?
Perhaps, but as you said it has been overkill. He's most effective as a forward imo.

SilentHunter_

Cancelled
10k Posts
Sep 15, 2014
Terra firma
AFL Club
Sydney
Horse doesn’t know yet but there is a white arc that says 50 and when we are going that way Hayward I reckon should be in there with a few others

Play him there and he will kick a few
I know it has been done to death but I still pisses me off that we literally had no players inside 50 for massive chunks in games this year. Just wtf???

I know it has been done to death but I still pisses me off that we literally had no players inside 50 for massive chunks in games this year. Just wtf???

That happened a lot in grand final and all the other finals and every H&A game. It is not unique to the Swans.

I just hope he stays on the fwd line. He's a poacher as noted above. He averages better than a goal per game and has scope to kick a lot more.

With a half decent midfield providing more regular supply, Haylist should aim for a minimum 40 goals in 2019.

I just hope he stays on the fwd line. He's a poacher as noted above. He averages better than a goal per game and has scope to kick a lot more.

With a half decent midfield providing more regular supply, Haylist should aim for a minimum 40 goals in 2019.

Would that put him above Mitchell as a player B52?

Would get 50 goals pa with a Titch led midfield.

We all know it's all about the Benjamins with Tommy chip-scab.
Hayburner would have to offer some sort of financial incentive for Tommy chip-scab to kick the ball to him. No way he is letting some other player steal his limelight for nix.

Back