Player Watch #9 Will Hayward

OJ091219MW2517.JPG

Will Hayward
Spritely Sydney Swans forward Will Hayward enjoyed a rocketing start to his career as he became the 11th-youngest player in the AFL era to reach 50 career goals in 2018. The 2016 draftee’s nippy pace and cunning goal awareness have made him a dangerous option in coach John Longmire’s forward line. A broken jaw and a persistent hip injury limited Hayward to just 12 goals in 13 senior games in 2019, but the South Australian is attacking the 2020 campaign on the back of his first full pre-season. Don’t be surprised if the exciting Swan finds himself on a wing this year.

Will Hayward
DOB: 26 October 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #21, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Walkerville (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

BloodRet

Brownlow Medallist
Sep 25, 2013
Laughing at all the minnows
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Norwich City, Detroit Pistons
Hayward was one of the reasons we lost today. You simply cannot miss a 15m set shot from straight in front, not just at this level, but at any level. But the one that killed us was his bewildering decision to not go to Parker alone in the square. If Parker kicks that goal it is huge and gives us all the momentum going into the last quarter.

Based on his form he deserves to be dropped. Not a threat for us inside forward 50 at the moment, totally bereft of confidence. But I'm gonna say leave him in against Carlton as it could be an opportunity to find some sort of goal kicking form.

we overrate all these kids then people get shitty when they don't perform

hayward and florent are ok players wont ever be stars

dawson might be,heeney could be thats it

haywards looking mentally fragile, dropping him might not work id persist

we overrate all these kids then people get s**tty when they don't perform

To be fair, Rampe never looked like being a star at the same age, and is now top 5 backmen in the league. That unpredictability is a large part of the fun of sport.

To be fair, Rampe never looked like being a star at the same age, and is now top 5 backmen in the league. That unpredictability is a large part of the fun of sport.

Agree

they all might be awesome, history suggest no and the rampe example is interesting, maybe one of the less likely young guys makes it as the best

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney

Hayward has an x factor that could see him star and he's shown it plenty of times, rarely this year. Florent outran Tim English and kicked a goal one time.

I think a lot depends on your definition of stars... a lot of players don't look much like stars in the beginning, but work there way into it.

I would be writing either of them off yet...

I think a lot depends on your definition of stars... a lot of players don't look much like stars in the beginning, but work there way into it.

I would be writing either of them off yet...

I’m not writing either off at all

Just think people need to be realistic

Both could be solid 150 game b graders and that’s fine plenty are

Aug 25, 2008
Leeds/'Berra/Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Hayward just has the yips in a big, big way. Obviously talented, but he’s playing like crap, and in the context of his career that’s ok.

If a stint in the 2s is enough to destroy his confidence then he doesn’t have what it takes to be an AFL level player anyway. But I seriously doubt it will hurt.

Hayward just has the yips in a big, big way. Obviously talented, but he’s playing like crap, and in the context of his career that’s ok.

If a stint in the 2s is enough to destroy his confidence then he doesn’t have what it takes to be an AFL level player anyway. But I seriously doubt it will hurt.

good point

all it takes is one goal to turn it around

injury hasnt helped this year

I thought he was a spark yesterday and had chances, thats a positive

Wolfgang West

Norm Smith Medallist
Jun 22, 2009
melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
Hayward was one of the reasons we lost today. You simply cannot miss a 15m set shot from straight in front, not just at this level, but at any level. But the one that killed us was his bewildering decision to not go to Parker alone in the square. If Parker kicks that goal it is huge and gives us all the momentum going into the last quarter.

Based on his form he deserves to be dropped. Not a threat for us inside forward 50 at the moment, totally bereft of confidence. But I'm gonna say leave him in against Carlton as it could be an opportunity to find some sort of goal kicking form.

Spot on. He ****s around with the ball for 1/2 an hr after he marks every time he gets it then after his think music is over takes the wrong option. Not great coaching during the week either to not be able to rectify it. His set shot goal kicking is disgraceful. He has been ordinary for much of the year and apart from one very solid mark yesterday he was insignificant. If Florent can have the s**t kicked out of him on here for being perceived as ordinary WTF has Hayward been doing to not cop the same ?

DobmusEdge

All Australian
Jun 21, 2019
AFL Club
Sydney
Agree

they all might be awesome, history suggest no and the rampe example is interesting, maybe one of the less likely young guys makes it as the best

Dawson moves from least likely to most likely in no time. Only this year he was dropped after a round one shocker ...making him a 22 year old yet to string more than two games together ...now look at him!!

On iPhone using BigFooty.com mobile app

Dawson should have 30+ games to his name not 20. We kept playing under-performers like Rohan instead. I am all for giving young players a taste of a couple of games but I do not like yo-yoing youngsters as it saps their confidence.

I think we should stay fat with Will. Yep he has the yips but he still threw himself into every contest he could. Goal kicking and the failure to pass to Parker aside he was ok yesterday.

Grongey

Cancelled
Jan 8, 2009
AFL Club
Sydney
The contract extension will give Will a chance to work on his tackling and kicking for goal.

Potential is clear. Sometimes you just need to give these kids a chance to develop

Jun 19, 2011
Sydney
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Wallabies
reminding me of jetta trying to get his first goal, its in his head

Yep, it's absolutely in his head. He looks at just about rock bottom in terms of confidence.

I have to remind myself that he's still not even 21 yet. This will be good for him in the long-term, I'm sure. I'm not Hayward's biggest fan, but he started the year excellently and has suffered from a few injury setbacks coming at bad times. He'll find his way out of this and it'll be good for him.

Yep, it's absolutely in his head. He looks at just about rock bottom in terms of confidence.

I have to remind myself that he's still not even 21 yet. This will be good for him in the long-term, I'm sure. I'm not Hayward's biggest fan, but he started the year excellently and has suffered from a few injury setbacks coming at bad times. He'll find his way out of this and it'll be good for him.

hes a nice kick normally

it will come back im sure

Back