Player Watch #9 Will Hayward

OJ091219MW2517.JPG

Will Hayward
Spritely Sydney Swans forward Will Hayward enjoyed a rocketing start to his career as he became the 11th-youngest player in the AFL era to reach 50 career goals in 2018. The 2016 draftee’s nippy pace and cunning goal awareness have made him a dangerous option in coach John Longmire’s forward line. A broken jaw and a persistent hip injury limited Hayward to just 12 goals in 13 senior games in 2019, but the South Australian is attacking the 2020 campaign on the back of his first full pre-season. Don’t be surprised if the exciting Swan finds himself on a wing this year.

Will Hayward
DOB: 26 October 1998
DEBUT: 2017
DRAFT: #21, 2016 National Draft
RECRUITED FROM: Walkerville (SA)/North Adelaide (SANFL)

Kiama Chris

Norm Smith Medallist
May 10, 2016
Kiama
AFL Club
Sydney
Backing us to average 82

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Three things will have us scoring more.
1) More clearances from a stronger midfield and more hitouts to advantage from Hickey.
2) Better quality delivery from the "right" players (Dawson, McInerney, Blakey, Stephens).
3) Youngsters will last out the game better with another preseason under their belts.
No idea how much all that is worth but 82 sounds good to me.

Jan 13, 2007
Melbourne
AFL Club
Sydney
1) More clearances from a stronger midfield and more hitouts to advantage from Hickey.
2) Better quality delivery from the "right" players (Dawson, McInerney, Blakey, Stephens).
3) Youngsters will last out the game better with another preseason under their belts.

I also think we have recruited the right players to take advantage of the man on the mark rule.

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
That's a bold call

We'll get another top 3 pick to shop around though so that'll be nice

Yep and I’ll probably regret it about three weeks into the season like most of my predictions but at the moment it’s preseason and I’m bullish.

Yep and I’ll probably regret it about three weeks into the season like most of my predictions but at the moment it’s preseason and I’m bullish.

Predicting the house down. I like it

We don't need another top 5 pick IMO, now is the time to really develop the young squad we have and set up our next premiership window, future draft picks should be used for strengthening depth
Then we can trade it out but we'll have one to trade

JackSwans

Head Scout
Jan 12, 2021
AFL Club
Sydney
Then we can trade it out but we'll have one to trade
I'm ok with trading our top pick, Horse said in an interview we'd be entering the trade market properly again in coming years, I think we have a decent overall squad if we can reduce injuries, our main thing is getting games into the youngsters and develop the squad similarly to the way the Lions did

Feb 5, 2012
AFL Club
Sydney
Love the realism, my kind of sentiment!

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
I'm ok with trading our top pick, Horse said in an interview we'd be entering the trade market properly again in coming years, I think we have a decent overall squad if we can reduce injuries, our main thing is getting games into the youngsters and develop the squad similarly to the way the Lions did

If he stays fit I’d trade our first pick for Cripps if he is available. Someone like that would really solidify the direction we’re taking.

Last edited:

bungee

Inside Mid
Aug 16, 2006
Sussex
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Sydney Swans
Come on down Sam Reid.

Hmmm, maybe not. Or maybe....

I have a decent feeling about our options up forward. Maybe no one reaches 30 but I reckon we're a great chance to have at least 7 or 8 into double figures and a couple of them in the 25+ bucket.

...gee I'd love to see a forward of ours rip a game to pieces though. Any chance of teleporting Lockett (circa '95) into our team. Those were the days, none of this double figures in a season rubbish, just knock out the double figures in a lazy afternoon at the SCG.
Loved the Plugga days. We've traded quite a few good players to the Saints over the last 15 years, Schneider, Dempster (aka Steak Knives), Membrey, Hanners and Jones. Going back even longer, we've picked up some excellent forwards in Plugga and Hall. Can Big Bro McCartin be our next ex-Saint star forward ? I certainly hope so.

DeadlyAkkuret

Brownlow Medallist
10k Posts
Mar 10, 2007
Ensconced in velvet
AFL Club
Sydney
Other Teams
Lakers, West Ham
We should probably steer clear of any decade-long contracts, even if your comment was tongue in cheek. I’d offer 4 years at 800K-850K if he had a great year this year.

Last edited:
Back