Movie 90th Academy Awards

Remove this Banner Ad

Gary Oldman..great actor. From Sid Vicious to Churchill...wow now that’s range

Yet he didn't get nominated for playing Sid Vicious in "Sid & Nancy". Go figure!

(I heard a rumor that the reason Oldman didn't get nominated until recently was that he wasn't a member of the Actor's Guild, and that since he wasn't a union member, his roles got snubbed.

Yhh
Yet he didn't get nominated for playing Sid Vicious in "Sid & Nancy". Go figure!

(I heard a rumor that the reason Oldman didn't get nominated until recently was that he wasn't a member of the Actor's Guild, and that since he wasn't a union member, his roles got snubbed.

Not sure about that. He supposedly knocked back role in Revenge of the Sith because it wasn’t approved/agreed by Actors Guild. Bet he was happy knocking that shocker back

Yes, a very lacklustre line-up of films overall, I certainly couldn't be bothered with the Holy-Wood self-congratulatory backslapping this year. Some technically superb films made the nominations but generally consisted of archetypical Oscarbait and your usual soyboy films. They tried to stir some interest with some cringey #mememe stuff, ironically throwing their bastion of the contemporary Oscarbait model under the bus, and mixing it up with Shape of Water (an ok film but nobody will look back at it as a BP winner, much like...uh, whatever won last year), but it was just your usual wheel-em-out "it's their turn" winners. Sure Gary Old Man deserved his statue, yet I couldn't help but be surprised that they relented, given his comments on 12 Years a Slave, admirably anti-feminist leanings and being an anti-semite. Perhaps next year they can reconsider the format again and FGS, get a better host.

Yes, a very lacklustre line-up of films overall, I certainly couldn't be bothered with the Holy-Wood self-congratulatory backslapping this year. Some technically superb films made the nominations but generally consisted of archetypical Oscarbait and your usual soyboy films. They tried to stir some interest with some cringey #mememe stuff, ironically throwing their bastion of the contemporary Oscarbait model under the bus, and mixing it up with Shape of Water (an ok film but nobody will look back at it as a BP winner, much like...uh, whatever won last year), but it was just your usual wheel-em-out "it's their turn" winners. Sure Gary Old Man deserved his statue, yet I couldn't help but be surprised that they relented, given his comments on 12 Years a Slave, admirably anti-feminist leanings and being an anti-semite. Perhaps next year they can reconsider the format again and FGS, get a better host.

His comments on 12 years a slave?

You mean saying there was a perception that if you didn’t vote for it, you were a racist?

How is that observation in itself, racist?

It’s a critique on political correctness, nothing more.

As for his ‘anti semitism’....are you saying the Jews DONT largely run Hollywood?

And good to see Gary’s son firing back at the virtue signalling online #metoo witch hunt party.

https://www.docdroid.net/1jhllUx/gulliver-oldman-statement.pdf

Last edited:

He was great as Beethoven in "Immortal beloved" as well

Because I reject identity politics?

Right.

Why do you keep coming here? The SRP is clearly more your bag. Feel free to discuss the actual movie, the performances, the jokes the presenters whatever but you ruin every thread in here you roll into with the same inane boring "white men have it so tough these days" trope, this isn't the place for it.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

Still trying to get my head around the fact that "Get Out" got nominated ahead of films like "Blade Runner 2049" and 'Wind River" thought it was quite okay for a lot of it's running time but degenerated into typical schlock horror territory toward the end, and the comedic aspect of LilRel Howery's character was particularly off putting.

Not half as bewildered by that though as by the statement in this thread about 'an acceptance of homosexuality leading to a slow march toward an acceptance of pedophilia" not sure I'll ever get my head around that pearl of wisdom.

*Surely a troll?*

Wind River was very stiff to not get a nom. 9 films nommed and I think most people agreed The Post, Darkest Hour and Get Out were making up the numbers, having said that Ive seen 5 of them and id have Get Out as my favourite.

I reckon the producers are kicking themselves are not campaigning harder. Would have been in with real shot if they just aimed for award season but think they tried for box office instead. Not that it would ever succeed there.

P.s i havent checked but I assume it did poorly

Does anybody have any knowledge about how the Academy deems a song to be eligible? I have noticed that there were no songs nominated from films such as West Side Story, Oliver, The Sound of Music, My Fair Lady and The King and I. Is this because the songs were originally written for these musicals in their original format as stage performances? (and thus the songs were not original to the film versions). It seems odd that all these films were nominated for Best Picture (all except The King and I won) and yet no songs from these films were nominated.
Likewise, why were no songs from The Graduate nominated? Is it because Simon and Garfunkel had previously released all the songs on albums (bar Mrs Robinson)?

I'm fairly certain that is the case. You have to contribute new songs and scores. If it has previously been in another release, production, etc. it gets disqualified. The categories are explicitly "Best Original Score" and "Best Original Song".

The Best Song category historically has been one of the more flimsy ones in terms of nominees, so I wouldn't read too much into what it picks.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back