Remove this Banner Ad

Jan 26, 2006
Perth
AFL Club
West Coast
Other Teams
East Fremantle
http://www.espncricinfo.com/australia/content/story/975875.html

Was a decent enough bowler, especially in England, when he wasn't bowling round arm.

Kind of sad that he ended up 1 short of the 100 but obviously selecting a guy just to get him a milestone would have been stupid and he didn't warrant selection over the last few years.

He'll still stick around and play Big Bash

It always makes me laugh how players "retire from cricket" ...... but then go and play Big Bash :)
Depends if you regard 20/20 as cricket or not...

Well done Hilf on a wonderful career. You will permanently keep the company of Arthur Mailey!

Could be a very good bowler, but he seemed to have problems with niggling injuries and repeating his own action. He swung the ball regularly, was accurate and had a surprisingly good bouncer.

Well it's be a pretty dumb move not to. Plenty of cash to do very little for a short period of time.

Yeah, well. He didn't 'retire from cricket' anyway. He retired from FC cricket which seems reasonable since he hasn't been able to play it since November. If you get to the point he was at, your options are to try to plug away at FC and be injured most of the time or bite the bullet and try to get up for the short forms and maybe earn some money. Nothing 'funny' about it at all, it's just common sense.

A good FC bowler but only an adequate Test bowler. I always felt that if Siddle and Hilfy were our strike bowlers, we were a mediocre Test team. But good on him for getting the best out of himself. Shame he didn't get to 100 but thems the breaks.

(Log in to remove this ad.)

A good FC bowler but only an adequate Test bowler. I always felt that if Siddle and Hilfy were our strike bowlers, we were a mediocre Test team. But good on him for getting the best out of himself. Shame he didn't get to 100 but thems the breaks.

Him, Siddle and Doherty in that Ashes attack still gives me nightmares.

He wasn't bad in the 09 Ashes, for someone as inexperienced as he was.
Probably our best bowler in that series.

More or less, he had two very good to great series; that, and 11/12 against India (27 wickets in four Tests). Other than that...battled a bit.

Easily the best red ball swing bowler in the country for a long time. Still don't think we've found a proper replacement for that particular role.

Shame we don't visit NZ and Tassie that often, he could have played a few more Tests.

Remove this Banner Ad

Back