99*

Remove this Banner Ad

Eagle_Fan

Club Legend
Apr 17, 2000
Wooshaville
AFL Club
West Coast
Klinger from Victoria was it? How could the captain do that to a player?

Did they declare at a break, or just at a certain time? Surely they could have go on for at least another over! Poor guy!

Onya Katich too btw! Guess suggesting they let him get to 250 is a bit much?
wink.gif

The official word is that Reiffel gave Klinger three overs past his ideal declaration time to score a century. Klinger didn't do it in time so Reiffel declared. I reckon Victoria should have tried to bat until tea anyway. If the pitch is going to deteriorate (which is unlikely) it'll do it on days three and four. May as well make hay while the sun shines.

Originally posted by RogerC:
The official word is that Reiffel gave Klinger three overs past his ideal declaration time to score a century. Klinger didn't do it in time so Reiffel declared.

Klinger went from 50 to 99 in 52 balls. That's quick enough for most people! Would Reiffel have declared if he was on 99 himself? I doubt it.

RogerC, sorry if I gave the impression of shooting the messenger - certainly wasn't my intention.

I was even more surprised by the declaration, given that it would have been Klinger's maiden century, and that he has struggled for big scores at state level despite showing he has a future.
The Vics could use a few extra runs to defend with tomorrow (even 20-30 may have sufficed), so Reiffel in hindsight may be rueing his decision.

I think Reiffel was crazy, and it is starting to look that way. The only compensation is that Tasmania are hell bent on getting off the bottom of the table, and they could lose wickets chasing runs. As it is they're looking at around three an over, and that's way above the rate they batted in the first innings.

And how about Tassie's declaration! Every bit as wierd. I bet the Queensland side are spewing.

NSW are smokies. If they complete their rout of QLD, they're only one win behind the top two. And in hot form.

Cheers.

Denied him his maiden century. Hardly going to inspire the younger fellas. Especially when the first one is supposed to be so good
wink.gif

------------------
Aunty Em,

Hate you, hate Kansas, taking the dog.

Dorothy

What has the guy done ? I just could not believe that when I heard it. It's not like the guy's scored heaps of runs before - jeez... it's only a shield game.

I used to rate Pistol - when he got on the Tubby Tour in 97 he turned it around but ... apparently the batsman DID NOT know. How about a message from the rooms ? Absolute disgrace.

I remember when Atherton declared in a Test match at Sydney(?) with Hick 96 n/o & apparently it destroyed the guy(it would have been his 2nd Test ton),who knows how his career might have gone if he'd let him make it...........would probably still have been a piss weak underachiever-LOL!

yeah, i remember that too Dipper. that was pretty harsh.

Not as harsh as 99 not out thought. Although, Hicks was a test. a test century is a lot better than a FC century. Anyway, it was both pretty harsh.

------------------
Go to Footy Tips and join the Big Footy tipping competition. For Information on how to join, just ask.

visit the Easts Cricket Club

A must for anybody into statistics - http://cromulent.freehosting.net/

[This message has been edited by WCE2000 (edited 06 March 2001).]

Remove this Banner Ad

Back